Is Weed REALLY haraam?

196 posts / 0 new
Last post

Funzo wrote:
how the heck do i know?

boy, and i thought you were clever...

Behold...Me!

Ya'qub wrote:
You wrote:
If the ruling is indirect or implicit, isn't the limit for it "Makruh Tehreemi"?

Surely only for things/acts that existed in the society at the time of the Prophet (saw), no?

With things that have been discovered/invented later, surely a 'haram' verdict can be given.

I am sure narcotics have been around a looong time and some were even used in pagan festivals to "gain enlightenment".

Come to think of it, how come there is no one going around linking weed/narcotics to shirk?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Sumaiya wrote:
Funzo wrote:
how the heck do i know?

boy, and i thought you were clever...


you said i dont even know what drugs are i took that as my information and im not a boy.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

The Qur'an does not even mention alcohol by name
ANYTHING that intoxicates u is haram

I thought "Khamr" was alcohol?

I may eb wrong though as Arabic is complicated and nouns and verbs are linked through derrivations so can have multiple meanings.

Also, one of the words used us "Sukaara" which means intoxicated. Maybe this can mean any form of intoxication?

If only there was a scholar on here who we could badger with this stuff...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

1R4M wrote:
The Qur'an does not even mention alcohol by name
ANYTHING that intoxicates u is haram

please dont post things which arent true... there isnt the need to be that liberal.

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say in them there is great sin and some benefit for men. The sin is greater than the benefit.
(Surah al-Baqarah 219)

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Funzo wrote:
1R4M wrote:
The Qur'an does not even mention alcohol by name
ANYTHING that intoxicates u is haram

please dont post things which arent true... there isnt the need to be that liberal.

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say in them there is great sin and some benefit for men. The sin is greater than the benefit.
(Surah al-Baqarah 219)

So i can go out and drink Bell's Whiskey, then?

Silly billy.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Funzo wrote:
1R4M wrote:
The Qur'an does not even mention alcohol by name
ANYTHING that intoxicates u is haram

please dont post things which arent true... there isnt the need to be that liberal.

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say in them there is great sin and some benefit for men. The sin is greater than the benefit.
(Surah al-Baqarah 219)

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Funzo wrote:
Funzo wrote:
1R4M wrote:
The Qur'an does not even mention alcohol by name
ANYTHING that intoxicates u is haram

please dont post things which arent true... there isnt the need to be that liberal.

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say in them there is great sin and some benefit for men. The sin is greater than the benefit.
(Surah al-Baqarah 219)


Whisky isn't wine.

She said it doesn't mention alcohol. It doesn't. You have got a translation there.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

and wine isnt alcohol?
m.khan translation
They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allah makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought."

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

@ Funzo - I guess that is still a translation... since it is in english.

The linguistic question is what was the arabic term used for "alcoholic drink" and does it mean alcoholic drink.

The way that Arabic is derives I suspect it would mean intoxicant (which would answer my original question...), but we would need someone with more knowledge to really make sure.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
@ Funzo - I guess that is still a translation... since it is in english.

The linguistic question is what was the arabic term used for "alcoholic drink" and does it mean alcoholic drink.

The way that Arabic is derives I suspect it would mean intoxicant (which would answer my original question...), but we would need someone with more knowledge to really make sure.


dont ask me im on my break, lol im joking im not a scholar i wouldnt know thats why i use the tafsir of learn-ed people.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I doubt it says wine, because whiskey is alcohol but it isn't wine. It's haram for men to wear silk, but that doesn't mean becasue silk is a type of cloth, wearing clothes is haram.
Most translations use "gambling and intoxixants" plus we can drink wine, that doesn't intoxicate, in Jannah if we get in.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Salam

Alcohol is banned by God for a reason that ought to be obvious to everyone.

Omrow

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Alcohol is banned by God for a reason that ought to be obvious to everyone.

Omrow

Line dancing?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I don't think it's haram to dance in private.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Oh Lord

When I said that the Qur'an does not mention alcohol BY NAME I mean that it says all INTOXICANTS are haram!
I'm not saying that alcohol ISN'T haram!
So it's funny how ppl say alcohol is haram wen it's not explicitly mentioned, yet weed is seen as a grey area????

1R4M wrote:
Oh Lord

When I said that the Qur'an does not mention alcohol BY NAME I mean that it says all INTOXICANTS are haram!
I'm not saying that alcohol ISN'T haram!
So it's funny how ppl say alcohol is haram wen it's not explicitly mentioned, yet weed is seen as a grey area????


i dont mean to sound rude but i gave you explicit surah were the tafsir of dr M.Khan has translated to be alcohol because that is what the arabic word for alcohol is, its not a grey area because it is explicitly mentioned and before you say why does it say the sin is greater than the benefit meaning there is benefit, the actuall surah was revealed to the prophet s.a.w to tell him s.a.w what to say to the arabs of the time because alcohol was there passtime like ours is tv or football etc.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Funzo wrote:
i dont mean to sound rude but i gave you explicit surah were the tafsir of dr M.Khan has translated to be alcohol

I have highlighted a word for you.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Courage wrote:
I don't think it's haram to dance in private.

err...

Line dancing. i.e. 'Dancing in a line (dressed as a cowboy)'.

You can't dance in a line in private, can you (unless you are in a hall of mirrors)?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

It really is a bad start when the first line of the reply is

Well, since Islam doesn't allow drinking alcohol for the sake of protecting the body from harm

Even the qur'an acknowledges that there are some benefits to alcohol... but then goes on to say they are outweighed by the cost/sin etc etc.

Except for that, it does seem to cover the topic pretty well. (probably, as I skim read it.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

to end all this debate the rasool said 'leave that which in doubt for that which is not'
so if u are unsure about it being haram or hallal stay away from it.. until u know more about it. i myself was asking that question today because i really want to smoke weed. so i ask some of my friends and they said it wasnt but i should of expected that answer because they lightup all the time. i wanted someone to say it wasnt so i could do it but in the end staying sway from it i would get a greater reward. i hope i changed some of your minds. salams brothers and sisters

lol wrote:
to end all this debate the rasool said 'leave that which in doubt for that which is not'
so if u are unsure about it being haram or hallal stay away from it.. until u know more about it. i myself was asking that question today because i really want to smoke weed. so i ask some of my friends and they said it wasnt but i should of expected that answer because they lightup all the time. i wanted someone to say it wasnt so i could do it but in the end staying sway from it i would get a greater reward. i hope i changed some of your minds. salams brothers and sisters

MashAllah well done! Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

lol wrote:
to end all this debate the rasool said 'leave that which in doubt for that which is not'

That is different as there is no doubt over weed - I doubt there is anyone (of informed opinion/knowledge) who considers it halaal. If there is, this would be a good place to point the person out so the "evidence" can be seen.

(yeah, I know - I started the topic...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

In my mind it is not haram, because it does not make a person act crazy. Plus it has medical benefits, it even helps some forms of cancer. Maybe if you let it get a hold of you and you do it every day, then I could see it being haram, but if you use it once in a while, then no. I have smoked weed, and it has not changed my life at all. When you are high you don't do dangerous thing. You just chill there, and enjoy it. All the stories about people doing stupid things like jumping off things and acting dumb never tell anything about the person. Maybe that person was crazy to start with, or maybe he was on something other then weed too.

My fellow Muslims, please remember. Man made alcohol, but weed was made by God himself. You don't do anything to weed to make it affect you. There are no chemicals. It just grows that way. As far as it intoxicating you, it doesn't, it just makes you happy, and relaxed, just like any anti-depressant would. All the people that have posted above me, have never tried it and there for would never know what it really does. But take it from me, it is not as bad as they say. So go ahead and toke up.

Peace be upon you all.

Abduli wrote:
In my mind it is not haram, because it does not make a person act crazy. Plus it has medical benefits, it even helps some forms of cancer.

Alcohol does not make you act crazy and it also has medical benefits... but the qur'an clearly labels it as haraam.

Besides, the Islamic principle is that if something is haraam in large quantities, it is also haraam in small quantities.

A sip of alcohol may not get you drunk but it is just as haraam as downing a bottle of vodka.

The same principle would apply to other things - including weed.

So the question is if it intoxicates. I have not tried it so cannot know. But some of the above have and say it does.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Ok, you need to know that weed and alcohol and two different things. In order to die from smoking weed, you have to smoke 1500 POUNDS in less then 15 minutes. So basically it's impossible. You can look this up if you want to, but tabacco causes more physical harm and make people become more dependent on it then cannabis (weed). Yet smoking tabacco is not haram.

Alcohol is not haraam because it kills you instantly either. It is haraam because it intoxicates you.

It is the same thing here. and if you have not read the full topic, please have a look t Ya'qubs post on the first page which shows that it does intoxicate.

Your comparison with tobacco is not considering the mental impact of weed.

(Many consider tobacco to be haraam too.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Salam dear brothers and sisters this is great information. Yet I have a question how come weed is haram when it intixioucatis the mind and body when coffee is not when it does the same to the mind?? A high portion is just as haram as a small portion. Most people go crazy of they don't have coffee in the morning it will play with there mind the rest of the day maybe even mess up there day just cause no coffee in th morning now tell me isn't that haram??? and tobacco is just as well.

Yeah I know I have spelling errors sorry

Pages