Discuss Anything here. Anonymous users can post.
Are you happy?
Re: Are you happy?
Re: Are you happy?
I like the options. Well thought out.
Re: Are you happy?
Just tick the second box. if it was the first, there would be no such questions. IMO.
Re: Are you happy?
[quote=wednesday]BUT "life's a listless trickle of 'Why should I?'"... and if Happy were to exist within the sphere, it must have some potency/power and surely that power must be reflected by something mirror like...[/quote]
No, it's actually quite simple. If you feel happy you tick the first box and if you want to question the nature and essence of happiness then you tick the second box. The only question you need to ask is what would make things truly wonderful for me?
Re: Are you happy?
π
Re: Are you happy?
Q. Am i happy?
A. Can i get back to you? Im working on it. π
Re: Are you happy?
Not totally..
a little bit sad in this time...
:doubt:
but it will pass also this bad patch...
Re: Are you happy?
Anything you want to talk about, mate?
Re: Are you happy?
nono..nothing important i think..
school,work,family,money..all but nothing..
:roll: thank you anyway π
what about youuu?all are happy now?? π
there is a song "are you happy" of michelle branch..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxt4pA0wOCI&feature=related
Re: Are you happy?
If you're happy and you know it..clap your hands..*clap clap*
Pagination
Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Poll is to do with this article:
79 per cent of Muslims say Christianity should have strong role in Britain
People were asked to agree or disagree with the statement "Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values".
The proportion of Muslims who agreed (79 per cent) was higher than for Christians themselves (70 per cent).
The ComRes poll for the BBC appeared to contradict calls by some politicians to remove faith from the public arena.
Hindus (74 per cent) also gave more support than Christians to a strong role in public life for the UK's traditional, Christian religious values.
The results suggested that people of different religions would rather there is some kind of faith-based framework to life in Britain, even if it is not based on their own religion...
read more @ Daily Telegraph
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Is the "I am at one with the world" option the same as "I literally have NO opinion on this" or more of a Buddhist thing?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
That and may be are both no opinions. unless you want to take them as an opinion. or a buddhist thing.
I guess the above paragraphs means "I have no idea."
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=You]That and may be are both no opinions. unless you want to take them as an opinion. or a buddhist thing.
I guess the above paragraphs means "I have no idea."[/quote]
Nope. It means I don't care. One bit.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I think pluralism should have arole in Britain, if that means some priests being active then I've got no objection to that.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I think all those Muslims that voted FOR more Christian morality were just being sycophantic to be quite honest.
i don't know about the Hindus etc but there's nothing so special about Christian doctrines that would make me want to be dictated by the pope/bishops/priests-which also opens up another question....Christianity has a lot of denominations within it... with a huge spectrum of difference in terms of morality and ways to live etc for example Catholicism is a lot different to protestantism.
i don't think we NEED Christianity to play a bigger role, what's the point? Seems a silly question to me.
Might i add, the 'Crusades' were a Christian thing? Don't 'hate' Christians because of that or anything, it just expresses quite clearly exactly how different different interpretations can be.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I have heard/read that the crusades played a bigger part on the western psyche than the Muslim psyche - for the west it was where they lost their christian heartlands. For Muslims it was just another (albeit dificult ) victory in a long string of victories.
I think the thought process may be its better to believe in God than no God - even if the whole belief you disagree with. That can be fixed later.
The danger of that is many will analyse Christianity, find it wanting and then make the assumption that all faiths, religions are the same.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
To be honest, I find atheists a lot more intolerant than Christians. Christians are People of the Book, therefore, they are much closer to us in faith.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Some atheists/agnostics are fairly tolerant, if you put the right arguemtn to them, then you'll see the difference.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Assallamu Allaikum,
There is little difference in the basic ethos of Catholicism and Protestantism aside from historical ill will, the main changes were human in their creation. The doctrines do not have to be 'special' to have a resounding effect on peopls lives. People of all religions are bought up to understand there religion in the way that there teachers, be that parents clergy or other, teach them.
I think that the point was that to have an effective 'religious' influence, in a society that seems to have less and less 'religious' influence is better than to not have any input at all.
Wassallam.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
But will this not force people to lump all faiths/religions into one category and then if they find something wanting in another, ignore looking any further (to Islam)?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
If Christianity were to play a greater role in society then that should translate into, among other things:
- greater care and comfort for refugees and asylum seekers,
- shorter pub opening hours and a more responsible attitude towards alcohol,
- no gov efforts to encourage gambling,
- people taking Thought for the Day seriously
That would be a good thing.
Wait a minute...
That Telegraph story opens with:
People were asked to agree or disagree with the statement "Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values".
Who says "UK religious values" are the same as "Christian" values?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I had assumed that there would be mkore to it than just that statement.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=Beast]
- people taking Thought for the Day seriously
[/quote]
That led me to...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/religion/tftd/queryengine?attrib_1=authorβ¦
I'm not addicted to Hamza Yusuf talks, seriously.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=You]I had assumed that there would be mkore to it than just that statement.[/quote]
That was the statement to which 79% of Muslims said yes.
But look how bluntly the Daily Mail makes that leap:
The poll, which questioned 1,045 people, found that 63 per cent of them thought that the law should respect and be influenced by Britainβs traditional religious values β in other words, Christianity.
But I can't find the BBC report on this. Do you have a link for that?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Can't seem to find it (if there was one).
EDIT - Found it:
Public 'favour religious values' and the actual data
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I've found the raw data from the survey. How boring am I?
http://www.comres.co.uk/page16583232.aspx
People were asked to agree or disagree with the following four statements:
- The media reports my religion fairly and accurately
- The media reports other religions fairly and accurately
- Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values
- Religion has an important role to play in public life
Christianity isn't mentioned in any of them.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Considering how I also managed to find the same data (but in a different place), I will say that you are daring and adventurous for finding it.
Saying that, if someone asked me about "UK religious values", Christianity would probably play a part in what I assume (but I would probably rank athiesm much higher...)
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
As if you two aren't the same person
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=MakeMeRawr_6TeenF]As if you two aren't the same person[/quote]
Oh no!
She's onto us... I mean me... err, you. Err... :?
Are You me or am I You?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Omrow too.
His comments are BLATANTLY just put there to spice things up when they get boring π
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=Beast]- no gov efforts to encourage gambling[/quote]
This could be a double edged sword as many UK organisations, charities accept lottery funding which I assume is linked to the national lottery for its money?
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=MakeMeRawr_6TeenF]Omrow too.
His comments are BLATANTLY just put there to spice things up when they get boring :P[/quote]
It was weird the way he came back only after I had left and when I have come back he has reduced his commenting/posting...
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=You][quote=Beast]- no gov efforts to encourage gambling[/quote]
This could be a double edged sword as many UK organisations, charities accept lottery funding which I assume is linked to the national lottery for its money?
[/quote]
That's a good point. But at the very least Christian values would encourage greater regulation of non-state gambling and greater tax on any that continues to operate.
[quote=You]Considering how I also managed to find the same data (but in a different place), I will say that you are daring and adventurous for finding it.
Saying that, if someone asked me about "UK religious values", Christianity would probably play a part in what I assume (but I would probably rank athiesm much higher...)[/quote]
If it's OK, I'm going to continue riding this horse.
The question asks about "UK" religious values. People could have been asked about "Christian" religious values but they weren't. "UK" suggests a geographical categorisation. I would categorise Muslim and Jewish religious values as being part of "UK" religious values in that they are widely practised in and propagated in the UK.
Moreover, the survey was about peoples' views on religion in general - not the Christian religion.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
I will have to cede the point that the question was vagfue at best and not specific to christianity.
If we (wrongly?) assume that people read the question differently and focussed on their own religion as part of it, then it would suggest that 21% of Muslims may not want Islam to play a role in (Muslim) British life? (Am I just reaching to see this?)
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=You]I will have to cede the point that the question was vagfue at best and not specific to christianity.
If we (wrongly?) assume that people read the question differently and focussed on their own religion as part of it, then it would suggest that 21% of Muslims may not want Islam to play a role in (Muslim) British life? (Am I just reaching to see this?)[/quote]
It's perfectly plausible that 21% of Muslims wouldn't want religion, even if it is their own religion, to play a part in public life, let alone in the formulation of laws.
For one thing, brining religion into politics leaves it open to abuse. Another reason for a Muslim to not want religion in public may be because they don't want their religion to be imposing on other religions. Moreover, they may want to maintain the separation between church and state.
It's not totally irrational.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Yeah, I read an article on Pakistan the other day titled "Survival of the purest" and it shows how it can become an arms race to the top.
I was not thinking of it having any grounding in law etc as that would be a massive thing indeed.
As for people versed in practice of Islamic law. I am certain that a judge has to have years of learning, practice before being granted that position, but for Muslims, its normally lay people (like me) who shout loud, or if they have a clue, are generally edicated to a batchelors/masters standard with only a few being of a higher (high enough) calibre.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
Both, neither, former, latter.
It has been decided that the question is a little vague.
Current law in the UK does have Christian Heritage (along wiht Muslim heritage as apparently the Muslim systems of the time were studied before the UK system was created).
POr the question could more be about community life and their focus and have nothing to do with laws and regulations.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
The points I'm making relate to the following statements:
Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values.
Religion has an important role to play in public life.
I think "UK religious values" incorporates Muslim and Jewish values and not just Christian values.
I think it is understandable if some Muslims don't want religious values to play a role in public life.
Re: Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?
[quote=wednesday]
CAn Religion (Christianity) replace current Politics without any hiccups?[/quote]
Was Christianity the law in the past? And what was the outcome?
Pagination
Pagination
- Previous page
- Page 264
- Next page
I am very very happy alhumdulillah, Allah (SWT) has blessed me with everything, cannot thank Him enough π