Description

Discuss Anything here. Anonymous users can post.


Bank wants £40,000 from vandal

You —

poll

Bank wants £40,000 from vandal

She totally gotta pay for the damage.
14% (2 votes)
There should be some punishment, but that is a lot of money!
29% (4 votes)
But... but... she's still a kid!
29% (4 votes)
Down with capitalism, she should be *paid* for her services to humanity
7% (1 vote)
Soap jokes would be innapropriate I guess.
21% (3 votes)
Total votes: 14
Forum

You — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:09

Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl


The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has demanded £40,000 compensation from a 17-year-old girl who admitted attacking a branch during G20 protests in London.


The girl, who cannot be named, admitted burglary and criminal damage when protesters targeted the Threadneedle Street branch of the RBS on 1 April.


Prosecution counsel told West London Youth Court the bank wanted to recover the losses incurred during the protest.


The girl, who lives in Brighton, was given an eight-month referral order.


As part of her sentence she may be asked to pay a smaller sum of compensation to RBS.


Prosecutor Ann Crighton said three plate glass windows were broken and several pieces of computer hardware, which cost an estimated £40,000, were stolen.


Police saw the girl smashing a computer monitor with a keyboard and flinging the keyboard against a window, breaking it.


Read more @ BBC News


(I think this topic needs a more descriptive title so that people who only see the poll know what its about. suggestions?)


Female version of Baba Ali?!

Bijou —

poll

Female version of Baba Ali?!

Yes
28% (5 votes)
No
6% (1 vote)
Boring...
11% (2 votes)
Females shouldnt do that
6% (1 vote)
Baba Ali sucks
28% (5 votes)
Nobody cares maaaan
22% (4 votes)
Total votes: 18
Forum

Bijou — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 15:09

Damn! She got there before me! 😢 ...Guess I will have to turn it into a competition =D. Joke.Hhhmm....How did you find out?Is there something I can type on youtube or something to check her out?


The Lamp — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 15:20

No, it's just that on Islam Channel ages ago there was an ad for that website (I can't remember) and her video was one of the examples.


Ya'qub — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 16:03

I don't think people should set out to be a 'female version' or a 'male version' or a 'Muslim version' of anything.


Do something original. Be yourself. Etcetera.


BijouX (not verified) — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 16:32

Hmmm...the idea of originality is good...however coming up with an idea of what to do is not easy.


Something simple, easy, not time consuming, interesting for people to listen to. I thought of Baba Ali because he is appealing to a wide ethnic group and people of all ages listen to him.


If a female did that...and talked about various issues that women (young, old,disabled,white,black,brown, yellow, green) were challenged with, the good and bad points...it would be slightly different?


I dont know, I'm just looking for something which is all the above mentioned!


Ya'qub — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 16:33

[quote=BijouX]Hmmm...the idea of originality is good...however coming up with an idea of what to do is not easy.


Something simple, easy, not time consuming, interesting for people to listen to. I thought of Baba Ali because he is appealing to a wide ethnic group and people of all ages listen to him.


If a female did that...and talked about various issues that women (young, old,disabled,white,black,brown, yellow, green) were challenged with, the good and bad points...it would be slightly different?


I dont know, I'm just looking for something which is all the above mentioned! [/quote]


In that case... boring! :p


The Lamp — Wed, 22 Apr 2009 - 09:25

Well everyone is influenced by someone else, so in that case no one is really original, but he really brought that style to life.


Ya'qub — Wed, 22 Apr 2009 - 17:33

[quote=You]Baba Ali may not be original either - From what I can see, he copied "TheShow by ZeFrank".[/quote]


But did he 'set out' to become a 'Muslim-version' of ZeFrank?


Seraphim — Wed, 22 Apr 2009 - 18:22

[quote=Ya'qub][quote=You]Baba Ali may not be original either - From what I can see, he copied "TheShow by ZeFrank".[/quote]


But did he 'set out' to become a 'Muslim-version' of ZeFrank?[/quote]


Do we care?


RI_RS — Thu, 23 Apr 2009 - 21:34

For people who voted 'females shouldn't do that'


What makes you say that?


I voted nobody cares, but only because I don't care.

I'm not speaking for everyone. Obviously some people do.


Indy (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 09:46

I think the people who voted 'females shouldnt do that'...think women should stay at home and cook and clean right? So pathetic!


Indy (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 09:51

Baba Ali is an original. He has brought up issues that nobody will talk about, and confronted the globe about them. I think people should follow his ways, learn from him. He is a convert, yet he seems to have more knowledge than the adolescents that just care about the way they look and what people think of them. It is quit sad how people dont understand that this world is just a test to see how we perform to the tests we are put through.


Baba Ali makes these videos to teach, and remind us all...that Islam is not just a religion, BUT INFACT IT IS A WAY OF LIFE. And for those who have voted Baba Ali sucks...need to go to a doctor.


I'm not saying hes the greatest man on Earth, I am simply saying that he is trying doing a favour on us, The Ummah of Prophet Muhammed pbuh, and we are so unappreciative to what people do. Most people KNOW hes speaking the truth, hence they 'dont like him'. Instead of realizing the mistake and correcting themselves, they start hating, ya Haters!!


s.b.f — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 13:04

Indy..I think you're going over the top. People have different tastes. Nobody said they hate Baba Ali; they probably just don't like the way he delivers his ideas/facts/advise.


You — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 14:49

which can be the same as hate.


Another question would be if the comedians that copy him (male or female) would be funny. If they had their own funny jokes etc, they would not need to imitate and would stand tall on their own two feet.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:01

My focus of this poll was not about the comedy. It was merely about what Baba Ali does, talking about important issues which people hide from and just generally teaching people. The comic side of him is just his own personality. If it was just a guy talking, no-one will watch him, but hes bought his fun, exciting personally into it just to make things more relaxed.


You — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:05

If its about helping other people and the advice is sound and applicable and actually helps, I can't see too much harm from it. Maybe even some benefit.


Saying that, these days I struggle to accept that telling others to do good actually results in good. I can see where it leads to bad. But advising people who want the advice is probably a good thing.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:13

One point to make here is, if someone is knowledgeable then its always best to shed light on other people, just like Allah swt says in the Quran, whoever knows the Quran teach it, you will be among the best of people. Anyway, back to my point...its just about helping each other out mainly. Of course, not everyone will agree, and not everyone will listen and follow, but even if it can make a difference to one person, it should be enough right?


Having a female do something similar to Ali is a interesting because obviously the female will have more issues concerning women...just like Ali had a few more issues concerning men.


Theres quit a few issues I would like to bring to light to females, such as praying in the Masjid, having boyfriends, getting married to non- muslims, understanding where women stand in Islam, the hijab/niqab/veil/burka whatever you would like to call it, a Muslim womans behaviour,marriage ..etc etc... you see theres so many things I have experienced with myself and friends...I would like to share with the rest of the Muslim community (and also non Muslims of course).


s.b.f — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:23

Has anyone seen a woman do a talk as Baba Ali does?


I saw one once and she was just making me cringe. I couldn't get past the first few seconds. I would post it on here, but at the beginning it said it was just for female viewers.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:25

[quote=s.b.f]Has anyone seen a woman do a talk as Baba Ali does?


Yeah there was someone, The Light mentioned something in the begining of this thread...


I saw one once and she was just making me cringe. I couldn't get past the first few seconds. I would post it on here, but at the beginning it said it was just for female viewers.[/quote]


Post it up...lets see what shes gotta sayy (if she made you cringe, then she wasnt doing 'a talk as Baba Ali does'.


s.b.f — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:33

I can't find it now. This was ages ago. At the beginning she kept going on about whether the viewer was a boy or a girl. 'Are you sure you're not a guy?' . She had a pink hijab on. That's all I remember. Maybe her talk wasn't the same. But what I meant was she talking conversationally to the camera. That's all.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:35

Lol sounds like she was testing the intelligence of the viewer. Anywayz, if you ever find it, please post it up I would like to check it out. 🙂


You — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:44

@ Bijou - go for it. You can even embed the videos in forum topics/blog posts.


The best way to know if it works or not is to try it.


Cringiness could be due to many reasons - the viewer not being comfortable, the person being too preachy (which Baba Ali can suffer from too), focussing on minor things that others are not too concerned with etc.


Some of the issues you highlighted though are not "all about women" and are3 for everyone, so you might need to take some care to not alienate viewers.


Go for it and don't forget to give this place a shout out too.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:49

[quote=You]@ Bijou - go for it. You can even embed the videos in forum topics/blog posts.


The best way to know if it works or not is to try it.


Cringiness could be due to many reasons - the viewer not being comfortable, the person being too preachy (which Baba Ali can suffer from too), focussing on minor things that others are not too concerned with etc.


Some of the issues you highlighted though are not "all about women" and are3 for everyone, so you might need to take some care to not alienate viewers.


Go for it and don't forget to give this place a shout out too.[/quote]


I think I will inshAllah, just let the next few weeks of uni finish, then inshAllah I will put something together!

Yeah one issue is the audience, because although it might be for women, men are also interested in knowing. So inshAllah, anything I do will be for mixed genders..( noo..im not talking literally mixed 😂 ).


s.b.f — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:56

You're making your own show? (I'm a bit slow) Sounds like a really good project!


Just make sure not to test the viewers about their gender at the beginning 😉


No, I still can't find it for some reason :S Last time I found it after watching Baba Ali shows on youtube and there was a link on the side...hmmm..


You — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:58

[quote=s.b.f]You're making your own show? (I'm a bit slow) Sounds like a really good project![/quote]


I think everyone got confused for a bit and there were many suppositions at the start over the questions. No harm, no foul as long as we get to the well trodden path.


Bijou can also use this place for ideas etc, have a place to get asked questions etc. Should be good inshallah.


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 15:59

[quote=s.b.f]You're making your own show? (I'm a bit slow) Sounds like a really good project!


Just make sure not to test the viewers about their gender at the beginning 😉


No, I still can't find it for some reason :S Last time I found it after watching Baba Ali shows on youtube and there was a link on the side...hmmm..[/quote]


Yep...InshAllah. Well, its not actually a project, just a tester really. See if I get any responses...


Is alright, I will try to find a girl wearing pink Hijab on youtube 🙂


BijouX (not verified) — Fri, 24 Apr 2009 - 16:03

[quote=You][quote=s.b.f]You're making your own show? (I'm a bit slow) Sounds like a really good project![/quote]


I think everyone got confused for a bit and there were many suppositions at the start over the questions. No harm, no foul as long as we get to the well trodden path.


Bijou can also use this place for ideas etc, have a place to get asked questions etc. Should be good inshallah.[/quote]


Its really exciting to see you guys have a positive view about this also. All the help I can get is good, and also ideas! Even from the guys!! Thats really important, because I dont want to limit my viewers, at the moment I'm thinking it should be for everyone. So we all learn from eachother.


So...inshAllah I will get into more detail when I get things set up... but I would really appreciate ideas from people.


One Eyed Women

Omrow —

poll

One Eyed Women

Both eyes should be hidden
4% (1 vote)
Both eyes should be visible
8% (2 votes)
One eye should be visible
0% (0 votes)
Whole face should be hidden
12% (3 votes)
Whole face should be visible
12% (3 votes)
Let women chose
60% (15 votes)
I dont know
4% (1 vote)
Total votes: 25
Forum

Omrow — Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 14:25

This is really weird.


What can women do to get men to look away?


Saudi men say they find girls too attractive

even in the veil that leaves only the eye visible!!


Jesus!


BBC: Saudi cleric favours one-eye veil


The two-eyed look remains too seductive for Sheikh Habadan


A Muslim cleric in Saudi Arabia has called on women to wear a full veil, or niqab, that reveals only one eye.


Sheikh Muhammad al-Habadan said showing both eyes encouraged women to use eye make-up to look seductive.


The question of how much of her face a woman should cover is a controversial topic in many Muslim societies.


The niqab is more common in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf, but women in much of the Muslim Middle East wear a headscarf which covers only their hair.


Sheikh Habadan, an ultra-conservative cleric who is said to have wide influence among religious Saudis, was answering questions on the Muslim satellite channel al-Majd.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7651231.stm



Give your views.


Should girls eyes be hidden?


Can you imagine women walking around in Britain with only one eye.


Afhgan men, ofcourse, have invented "THE BURKA" which covers

everything, both eyes, the lot.


You cant see anything whatsoever.


Saudis will no doubt try to copy that eventually.


What do you think?


One eyes or two?


You — Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 14:34

[quote=Omrow]


BBC: Saudi cleric favours one-eye veil


The two-eyed look remains too seductive for Sheikh Habadan


[/quote]


What the Shaykh does not realise that (most) Men will always find women attractive. One eye, two, whole face, whatever.


Its up to the guy to control himself.


I have heard that back in the day there used to be Non Muslim women who use to walk around bare breasted. The Muslims were urged to lower their gaze.


Why is it that I have no faith in Muslim scholars as a whole being competent in any way shape or form?


Idealism gone mad is plain evil.


Omrow — Mon, 20 Apr 2009 - 14:35

[quote=wednesday]

This should be in the males only forum...[/quote]


Why?


I think it is vitally important for man's health

to give women a voice. They know more than us.


Omrow — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 12:50

[quote=s.b.f]

I vote its up to the woman to either show her eyes or not.


Blink Blink.

[/quote]


Was that blink with one eye?


Anonymous20000 (not verified) — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 13:00

Some will find one eye seductive as well, some men are easily pleased!


1R4M — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 17:24

[quote=You][quote=Omrow]


BBC: Saudi cleric favours one-eye veil


The two-eyed look remains too seductive for Sheikh Habadan


[/quote]


What the Shaykh does not realise that (most) Men will always find women attractive. One eye, two, whole face, whatever.


Its up to the guy to control himself.


I have heard that back in the day there used to be Non Muslim women who use to walk around bare breasted. The Muslims were urged to lower their gaze.


Why is it that I have no faith in Muslim scholars as a whole being competent in any way shape or form?


Idealism gone mad is plain evil.[/quote]


I SO agree!

as a woman, you CANNOT win!

covered or not, guys will always stare!


1R4M — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 17:25

[quote=Omrow][quote=wednesday]

This should be in the males only forum...[/quote]


Why?


I think it is vitally important for man's health

to give women a voice. They know more than us.


[/quote]


ok I officially like you now


not in that way obviously!

but u know


1R4M — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 17:25

Maybe I should remove this pic

I wouldnt want some weird guys getting turned on from this one eye

not that its my eye btw


TPOS — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 20:19

[quote=Seraphim]{seraph turns to Saudi guy}


"Oh control yaar!"


:lol:[/quote]


u can chat! 😛 and yaar is an asian thing :roll:


Seraphim — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 20:25

[quote=ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE][quote=Seraphim]{seraph turns to Saudi guy}


"Oh control yaar!"


:lol:[/quote]


u can chat! 😛 and yaar is an asian thing :roll:[/quote]


Yes i can chat... and so can you. Its a beautiful thing.


And since i am asian its ok for me to use.


8)


You — Tue, 21 Apr 2009 - 20:57

It's not just about control, but also about expectations.


The Lamp — Wed, 22 Apr 2009 - 09:33

The reality is that men are going to look whatever, but at least with Hijab they give you more respect.


TPOS — Wed, 22 Apr 2009 - 16:43

[quote=Seraphim][quote=ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE][quote=Seraphim]{seraph turns to Saudi guy}


"Oh control yaar!"


:lol:[/quote]


u can chat! 😛 and yaar is an asian thing :roll:[/quote]


Yes i can chat... and so can you. Its a beautiful thing.


And since i am asian its ok for me to use.


8)[/quote]


Does "ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE" mean nothing to you?! 😛


and sorry yaar i ddnt read that comment in a freshie voice before and was just like "why's he callin a saudi "yaar"?!" cuz it sounds weird lol but now i understand 🙂


Omrow — Thu, 23 Apr 2009 - 12:22

[quote=The Lamp]The reality is that men are going to look whatever, but at least with Hijab they give you more respect.[/quote]


Spot on.


The lamp was made to shine.


Seraphim — Thu, 23 Apr 2009 - 17:14

[quote=ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE]

Does "ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE" mean nothing to you?! 😛

[/quote]


Of course not, since you never exercise the power of silence.


Guys are always gonna look... its just the way they are. But women need to understand


1) It doesnt mean theyre gonna do anything.

2) It doesnt mean they're gonna even remember you in 5mins time.

3) If women are gonna dress to impress then they are gonna be looked at. Which is just down to them being attention seekers really.


TPOS — Thu, 23 Apr 2009 - 19:45

[quote=Seraphim]Of course not, since you never exercise the power of silence.[/quote]


😂 i wouldnt say never :/ :roll:


Muslimah_Traveller — Sat, 25 Apr 2009 - 13:03

HIJAB/NIQAB IS WOMENS CHOICE!- ITS THE NIYAT!


SOME WOMEN FEEL THEY HAV BEAUTIFUL EYES:

---> THEY FEEL THE NEED 2 COVER/CONCEAL THEIR BEAUTY WITH NIQAB.


SOME WOMEN FEEL THEY R UGLY:

---> USE NIQAB 2 B ATTRACTIVE (E.G. WHERE NIQAB & MAKE EYES ATTRACTIVE WITH MAKEUP)


BASICALLY, ITS ALL ABOUT THE WOMEN - HOW SHE FEELS ABOUT HER BODY, DETERMINES THE AMOUNT SHE WILL OR WILL NOT COVER UP.


- O ALLAH MAKE US PIOUS WOMEN THAT USE THE HIJAB/NIQAB AND NOT ABUSE IT! AMEEN.


Aroosa (not verified) — Sat, 25 Apr 2009 - 17:49

Well I think it's up 2 the Women wearing the Hijab & whether she's comfortable with one eye , both eyes, or even just the Hair covered !


TPOS — Sat, 25 Apr 2009 - 20:45

[quote=wednesday][quote=ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE][quote=wednesday]I'm sorry Fifi... but Freshie voice?[/quote]

Freshie accent then[/quote]


Naughty fifi! [/quote]

:oops:


well Seraphim said it!lol and dont u remember someone said that they read all posts on the forums wiv a "freshie accent" (i dnt remember who that sumone was i think it was Ya'qub 🙂 ) lol


Now that ive gone off-topic i should post a comment actually relating to the topic

So i voted for "let women choose" simply cuz if Allah swt has given everyone freedom and choice then no one else should make anyone do anything. they should only advise them.


[quote=You]It's not just about control, but also about expectations.[/quote]


it may not be just about control but still, its like they want to control the women by making them do whatever they tell them to and also its like they're worried they wont be able to control themselves and their desires so they want the women to help them work around their rather than sort it out themselves. or something.


what expectations?


[quote=Seraphim]

3) If women are gonna dress to impress then they are gonna be looked at. Which is just down to them being attention seekers really.[/quote]


Maybe they just want to look and feel good about themselves.


At Muslimah_Traveller: I dont wanna sound rude or anything but can u please not write whole messages in CAPs, its really irritating :|


RI_RS — Sun, 26 Apr 2009 - 15:28

This is REALLY interesting!


^_^


But actually that's so selfish of men to say : 'i find her attractive, she should cover up'

he shouldn't LOOK.


It's not like they're completely uncontrollable and have no control


They should take SOME responsibility


Rather pathetic imo.


YasminCullen — Sun, 26 Apr 2009 - 20:20

[quote=MakeMeRawr_6TeenF]This is REALLY interesting!


^_^


But actually that's so selfish of men to say : 'i find her attractive, she should cover up'

he shouldn't LOOK.


It's not like they're completely uncontrollable and have no control


They should take SOME responsibility


Rather pathetic imo.


[/quote]


i totally agree with you! i dont know about everyone but i tried niqaab for a day and it was too much for me!

i dont see why i have to cover my eyes so males dont look at me! Besides women will always want to look nice.


You — Sun, 26 Apr 2009 - 20:30

Going back on to this topic, but would following that shaykh's edict be considered Bid'ah? HE is enforcing, or wanting to enforce more than what was laid down in Islam.


I would like to know what his opinion of the ihram is - women's faces must be uncovered in the state of ihram for Umrah/hajj.


Ya'qub — Mon, 27 Apr 2009 - 18:28

[quote=You]Going back on to this topic, but would following that shaykh's edict be considered Bid'ah? HE is enforcing, or wanting to enforce more than what was laid down in Islam.


I would like to know what his opinion of the ihram is - women's faces must be uncovered in the state of ihram for Umrah/hajj.[/quote]


Saudis and bi'dah...


what can I say?


Hajjar — Mon, 27 Apr 2009 - 21:01

assalamu alaikum,


this is ollllllld news, i think its extremism. Whilst I agree women wearing makeup with hijab (i.e covered from head to toe only hands face showing) or niqab is defeating the purpose of the hijab as it's supposed to "conceal" a womans attractions or any adornments, i think it's extremism to say a women should now effectively lose the eye sight Allah (swt) blessed her with so she can navigate her way around? These scholars need to put some onus on men where are their responsiblities to their creator?


Exercise some self control, I suggest these men who cannot control their sexual urges start fasting, and beg of Allah to give them an iota of the modesty our prophet (Saw) had. Address your weakenesses brothers rather than making the woman the "cause" of all your problems.


As for ihram, a woman is not supposed to cover her face but there is evidence that if there is fear of sin, especially for women who usually cover their faces, the face can be covered so long as the fabric does not touch the face. Hence when you go for pilgrimage you can find these funny caps that have a veil draped over designed to not touch the face. Even with this measure it could due to weather or pushing and shoving, so these women should pay compensation to cover for this sin to ensure their pilgrimage is correct.


s.b.f — Mon, 27 Apr 2009 - 21:02

[quote=Hajjar]

As for ihram, a woman is not supposed to cover her face but there is evidence that if there is fear of sin, especially for women who usually cover their faces, the face can be covered so long as the fabric does not touch the face. Hence when you go for pilgrimage you can find these funny caps that have a veil draped over designed to not touch the face. Even with this measure it could due to weather or pushing and shoving, so these women should pay compensation to cover for this sin to ensure their pilgrimage is correct.

[/quote]


What does ihram mean?


Subscribe to General