Student Loans in Islam

60 posts / 0 new
Last post

Im sorry Ocean, but that was one mean blog. Feef is trying to find a "loophole". you have no right to say she doesnt want to go uni, or maybe you're confusing her with me?

Hence why THE POWER OF SILENCE ACTUALYL SEND OUT QUESTIONS ABOUT STUDENT LOAN TO ABOUT FOUR SHAYKH TO ASK aBOUT THIS AND EAGERLY AWAITED THEIR REPLY. how could you say she isnt trying??????

furhermer, university knowledge is not the compulsory knowledge Allah talks about, not everyone needs to attain it, the compulsory knowledge is about Allah, His Deen, our purpose here, how to get to the next life etc.. thats the obligatory knowledge that ALL must seek.

she's not being emotional, silly or judgemental, dont act like you were looking for the "right" word when all your seem to want to do is call her all these things without being rude.

Interest is Haraam, no predicting about this.

and we dont need "negative promoting against education in Britain" the fee rise happened this year. and British education is better than most western education. So why are you blowing this out of proportion?

and lots of bad things happen without widespread "negative promoting". but i dont want to get off topic.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

@ Ocean, I'm not the only one who is thinking about it, did you not read the telegraph article.

And actually regardless of how bad I want to go to Uni, I'd much rather please my Lord, thanks.

Thanks Lilly Biggrin

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Woah guys take a chill pill. No need to start throwing around judgements, i'm sure Ocean would much rather please her lord too. People are allowed to have a difference of opinion you know.

Speak with hikmah (wisdom and understanding)

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Thanks for the reminder dude jazakAllah khair

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I know im going to say the same thing as Feef, but i promised i thought it before seeing her reply!

BarakAllahoufiq for the reminder, needed it.

woah! liking the iris!

the iris?

@ocean: why do you not think it is a reason? and you DID accuse tpos, you plainly said she is just trying to find an excuse and that she doesnt really wanna go uni. AND you called her silly, judgemental and emotional. so what exactly did you not acuse her of?

Its not called a PA, its called a friend, :roll:

The iris of the eye.

And lets just leave it! Smile

I've figured out what to do - take the loan and start paying whilst still studying. This will mean I need a (good :S ) job and borrow from parents etc but it's better cuz I cant really take a loan from anyone for the whole thing, now, but if I take small amounts I can inshaAllah repay it without the interest.

It seems quite idealistic :S hmm we shall see what happens.

take the gov loan? how you going to repay bits by bits?

yes the govt loan.

Repay it &whilst still studying*. Interest only applies once you've graduated.

I can't take a whole £27,000 off anyone now, but later bit by bit I can and inshaAllah work too and all that money will go towards it...

wahay, fiiif's's going to uni!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

lol

I don't recall ever saying I won't, just you and ocean being OTT Blum 3

So there's a WAY?!?!? *utter dismay*

I was reading and it mentioned:

The interest rate increases as the graduate's earnings rise, from inflation (RPI) for those earning £21,000 or less to RPI plus 3% for those on £41,000 or above.

That AFAIK is not riba.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I was reading and it mentioned:

The interest rate increases as the graduate's earnings rise, from inflation (RPI) for those earning £21,000 or less to RPI plus 3% for those on £41,000 or above.

That AFAIK is not riba.

explain.

edit: what if you start to earn more, then it would...

edit:2
I HATE THE GOVERNMENT.

PENALTIES FOR EARLY REPAYMENT? ARE YOU FRICKING STUPIDDDDDD

That is only an option being considered - I doubt they will go ahead with it.

interest at the rate of inflation merely keeps the value of the money the same and is not riba.

Early repayments are allowed, without penalties, under the current system.

tsound all so complicated... day by day the idea of not going uni is becoming more of the real/normal thing...

Why is that complicated?

It says there is a fixed rate to pay, but if you want, you can pay your loans off earlier without any extra charges. Simple.

and go uni.

If you are not afraid to travel, some european unis will not have fees and some will even pay you to go there.

there's also the dilema of mixity (is that even an english word?)

i cant remmeber why i said it sounded complicated. oh yeah..this twas because they calle iit "interest" but it might not be ribaa

but the scholars have spoken anyway...

I dont think they have given a considered opinion actually.

Just advice that can be given to rich people. Its not for the common folk currently.

Sorry please excuse my ignorance but what does 'ribah' mean?

Also does this mean that muslims now have to make a choice between religion and the opportunity to go to university>? If so then thats pretty scary especially since is widely known that you are drastically lowering your chances of gaining decent employment if you do not have a degree.

Is this the end to Muslim doctors, teachers, lawyers and bankers who do not come from extremely rich families?

riba = interest (in a nutshell) which is borrowing money and having to pay back more than what you borrowed. and its haraam in islam (coz its a shit concept basically)

and i dont think its the end. inshaaAllah the banks will come with an alternative. there's scholarships now as well. there's studying abroad. there's loads of option alhamdoulillah!

Some Muslim Scholars Are saying it permissible to take student loan as necessity,  I  think  it nessary for us to take such loan to complete our education or oppotunity for education would be imbalanced again'st  Muslims, we need muslim male and female Doctors, we need muslim female gynecologist instead of taking our muslim mothers and sisters to a male gynecolost, we need muslim engineers and we need muslims experts in every field.  I think we have to take student loan to complete our education or we wiil endup in warehouse labeling the boxes  (Allah knows best)

Can you name some if this scholars? Just want to know Smile

in necessity. everything's allowed.

Lilly wrote:

Then the question becomes "Is student loan a necessity?"

TPOS wrote:
Lilly wrote:

Then the question becomes "Is student loan a necessity?"

yep, thats what it becomes. i think its up to the person and how they feel abt it. IF shaykhs have said its okay. do you feel its necessity or not?

im not becoming a gp, gynckdfos-ologist or other stuff like that so that's that then.

Pages