Do we need scholars?

70 posts / 0 new
Last post

You wrote:
t and what good is it if *somebody else* knows the answer but you dont?

'Shared Knowledge Theory'

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I dont buy into most of those.

some knowledge if others have is useful to you - like manufacturing, engineering, medicine etc where you can be a consumer of another person's expertise (as long as it is accessible).

but when it comes to philosophy and human thoughts and feelings and expressions, everyone are in it for themselves.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
t and what good is it if *somebody else* knows the answer but you dont?

i don't need to understand about advanced medicine but I'd hope a doctor treating me for meningitis does.

and if they didn't, we'd probably be relying on potions made from the bark of '4 different trees, from 4 different forests' so cure our ailments

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You wrote:
I dont buy into most of those.

some knowledge if others have is useful to you - like manufacturing, engineering, medicine etc where you can be a consumer of another person's expertise (as long as it is accessible).

but when it comes to philosophy and human thoughts and feelings and expressions, everyone are in it for themselves.

Without a guide you might as well go into the forest like the Buddha and meditate and that's if you are decent if not then you may as well go ino the forest and be eaten by wolves. But without a guide it won't be Islam you find it may be something you didn't bargain for

wolves.

Seem like good sane creatures.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
wolves.

Seem like good sane creatures.

thinks twilight. gags. no.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

What's with the Sh.H Yusuf, pic? And how did you get it on the side of the writing?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

s.b.f wrote:
Noor wrote:
My teacher said one cannot be called a scholar until he has studied well over 100,000 books and more.

o.O

Just a question, can one be a non-believer but has studied Islam thoroughly be somewhat called a Scholar?

No, the person could be very knowledgeable on the topic, but if the knowledge never actually penetrated their heart, they are not a true 'scholar'. A true scholar is one who learns and acts upon what he learns... There is no amal without belief.

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Also, another thing to not is that a scholar, for him/her to give a ruling, or advice needs to be knowledgable not only about Islam (Quran and Sunnah) but also the specifics of the culture, situation and society; otherwise their not fit to give such a ruling.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Pages