Do we need scholars?

70 posts / 0 new
Last post

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
No I mean if that's the literal perception, what would the alternative be?! You pointing out thats the literalist take implies there's some other one as well?

So what, are you trying to say; that there is NO difference between salafis and sunnis? So in your view, they're not different sects?

Ohh i get it now. Lol. Or maybe not.

Alternative to what? :s

And yes there is no difference between salafis and sunnis.

Noor wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
No I mean if that's the literal perception, what would the alternative be?! You pointing out thats the literalist take implies there's some other one as well?

So what, are you trying to say; that there is NO difference between salafis and sunnis? So in your view, they're not different sects?

Ohh i get it now. Lol. Or maybe not.

Alternative to what? :s

And yes there is no difference between salafis and sunnis.

Nvm

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Noor wrote:
Lilly wrote:
i dont get how you disagree with me. please explain a bit more so i can get it.

as i said, everyone is a salafi, but then some people would rather be hanafis or shafi'is etc.. than just calling themselves salafis.

You said:

Lilly wrote:
and if you dont follow blindly ONE particular person, then you're a Salafi. coz Salafi = people who follow the Salaf
Salaf = pious predecessors aka: the prophet (pbuh) the sahabah the tabi'een, the tabi tabi'een

You have contradicted yourself there.

Salafi is just a label.

If we are going with labels you can follow a madhab and be a salafi at the same time because in essence they are the same thing.

i dont think i have. maybe i should have said "but then some people would rather be CALLEd hanafis etc..." but i meant that. they'd rather call themselves Hanafis, rather than Salafis. i just decided to just call myself Salafi. (and this doesnt mean i dont listen to what Imaam Abu Hanifa says or take from his teachings)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
Lilly wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
No you said

Noor wrote:
If you want to take the term salafi literally then everyone is a salafi.

What if you don't want to take it literally?

And Are people actually saying that there's no such thing as something distinct that is Salafi? Cos hello people, whether or not there should be, there blatantly IS. And when people ask what makes them distinct, they're obv talking about what we take modern day Salafis to be like.

And aren't salafis and wahabis quite connected?

wouaw...someone need to tell me what the "unliteral" meaning of salafi is please.
and Rawr who are those so called "scary salafis"?? what do they do?!
what IS the difference between a salafi and a wahabi? i swear wahabi was just a pejorative term to describe a salafi.

btw...there are black sheeps everywhere... I would definatly call myself a salafi.

Wtf, I never called anyone that?

thats what i got from reading your various posts on salafis. they seem to be extremist, jihadist etc.. but i wanted a clearer picture than my assumptions. so what do YOU mean by Salafis?

btw..i dont know much so at some point i will stop replying.

Lilly wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
Lilly wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
No you said

Noor wrote:
If you want to take the term salafi literally then everyone is a salafi.

What if you don't want to take it literally?

And Are people actually saying that there's no such thing as something distinct that is Salafi? Cos hello people, whether or not there should be, there blatantly IS. And when people ask what makes them distinct, they're obv talking about what we take modern day Salafis to be like.

And aren't salafis and wahabis quite connected?

wouaw...someone need to tell me what the "unliteral" meaning of salafi is please.
and Rawr who are those so called "scary salafis"?? what do they do?!
what IS the difference between a salafi and a wahabi? i swear wahabi was just a pejorative term to describe a salafi.

btw...there are black sheeps everywhere... I would definatly call myself a salafi.

Wtf, I never called anyone that?

thats what i got from reading your various posts on salafis. they seem to be extremist, jihadist etc.. but i wanted a clearer picture than my assumptions. so what do YOU mean by Salafis?

btw..i dont know much so at some point i will stop replying.

You need to read my posts better then and not attribute thoughts to me that aren't mine.
I'm guessing that dig is with regards to the Quran translation blog, so if you refer to it, Lamp or The Lamp or whatever his name is, said what I meant more clearly.

And I didnt say anything negative related to Salafism in this topic that I'm aware of, so again, stop jumping to conclusions about me just because I question things.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

please clarify this.

She I think meant that saying "we are all salafis" does not cut it as because there are specific people/group that are also known as that, so there must be some distinguishing feature.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

and i am asking. who are those people. and why are they different.

Lilly wrote:
and i am asking. who are those people. and why are they different.

PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES SALAFI(/Wahabi) AND NOT SUNNI
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY THEY'RE DIFFERENT.

It's very simple.

Cant really say why - just tht people came to slightly different conclusions on the same matters on some issues over time.

Something that happens.

All groups will argue that they are following the qur'an and sunnah in the best way and that the others aren't.

Since everyone has the same ideals and aims, you cannot show the differences between groups based on idealsor aims - they are the same. what you can show is differing actions or viewpoints, things that they may disagree on.

Salafis are generally considered to originate from Saudi, and historically allied themselves with the saud family, and spread from there.

The salafi view is seen as less strict and at times even opposing of following traditions - they say go back to the source. But opponents will say that they are sticking to the source by following the traditions as they were created in following the source.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Cant really say why - just tht people came to slightly different conclusions on the same matters on some issues over time.

Something that happens.

All groups will argue that they are following the qur'an and sunnah in the best way and that the others aren't.

Since everyone has the same ideals and aims, you cannot show the differences between groups based on idealsor aims - they are the same. what you can show is differing actions or viewpoints, things that they may disagree on.

Salafis are generally considered to originate from Saudi, and historically allied themselves with the saud family, and spread from there.

The salafi view is seen as less strict and at times even opposing of following traditions - they say go back to the source. But opponents will say that they are sticking to the source by following the traditions as they were created in following the source.

I see.
Who rules Saudi Arabia?

The Saud family, who are given legitimacy by the salafi scholars, and the salafi scholars who are given legitimacy by the Saud family.

There are big differences between the groups and how they act on sources - I am not pretending to say that there aren't, but that is not from ideals, but from actions and applications of those ideals.

In general, the salafi scholars will be less tolerant of things that are considered to be from the sufis, like sticking to one school of thought and letting the scholars from there figure everything out (but then their followers would do the same by following them.... so its only an issue of if scholars should stick to the schools or not) and reject some practices like celebrating the prophet's birthday (on religious grounds that it is a "new addition") and have a different understanding of bid'ah.

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Sub groups, not sects.

The sects would be sunni, shia and maybe ibaadi (common in Oman).

beyond that they are within the branch of one of them, with the salafis generally considered to be from within the sunni strand (though some will argue that they are outside there and make their own new strand).

Some have argued that this is a difference due to location how people from different places are - that bedouins and nomads always had such a line while people from cities and places of population always had softer edges etc.

I have never of the term ibaadi :S What's different about them?

Also someone told me that there is a difference in fiqh, aqidah and tasawwuf (basically everything) between salafis and sunnis who follow a particular madhab.

short history/general points on

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

who calls themselves Sunni? dont people call themselves Hanafi/shafi'i/blah blah blah

Lilly wrote:
who calls themselves Sunni? dont people call themselves Hanafi/shafi'i/blah blah blah

As if you seriously just asked that.

Lots of people call themselves Sunni. I believe more than half of the entire Muslim population call themselves Sunni and then if nec specify something further after.

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
Lilly wrote:

Lots of people call themselves Sunni. I believe more than half of the entire Muslim population call themselves Sunni and then if nec specify something further after.

now i get it.

but i always thought the "i'm a sunni" was only said to just reaffirmed "im not a shia" coz back at school. i'd be asked "are you sunni or shia" so i thought it was like..flip of the coin...

has the word Sunni being used in Islamic history? by scholars or even the companions? does it stem from Sunnah?

and dude. yes i was seriously asking this. sorry for not knowing.

yes, the greater body of Muslims has been known to be sunni, or from the ahlussunnah wal jama'ah = people who follow tradition (the main "tradition" being the sunnah of the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) but unwritten in there is also the sunnah of the generations following the prophet (saw), the idea being that each generation would pass on to the next what the previous taught them... something stronger than mere books - actions.)

Lilly wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
Lilly wrote:

now i get it.

but i always thought the "i'm a sunni" was only said to just reaffirmed "im not a shia" coz back at school. i'd be asked "are you sunni or shia" so i thought it was like..flip of the coin...

has the word Sunni being used in Islamic history? by scholars or even the companions? does it stem from Sunnah?

and dude. yes i was seriously asking this. sorry for not knowing.

I was asking because I think it's crazy that it could have escaped your attention given how much you know, something so basic as the majority label.

Most non-Muslims are aware of at the very least the SUNNI-shia divide. Its like saying no-one calls themselves Shi'a, just followers of the Jafari school of thought.

Just to add, most people wont know what hanafi, shafi'i' ,malike, or hanali etc are unless confronted by someone from a different madhab, or asked and then they are made to investigate.

As kids people are taught to pray, read the qur'an etc, but they are not taught from which madhab/style of fiqh it is from unless it is necessary.

yep, have heard of the "ahlussunah wal jama'ah" name.

and Rawr: please please please, i do NOT know that much..not AT all.. yeah.. just saying..i dont know stuff... at all... whatever you read round the site is most probably exactly what i know, no more. or maybe its from a google search or something. most of the topics round here just throw me off and i gotta go do my research on stuff... and most of the time i'm asking questions... i dont know what the FRICK got into me to start talking, but not to worry, i have been reminded Wink

Lilly wrote:
yep, have heard of the "ahlussunah wal jama'ah" name.

and Rawr: please please please, i do NOT know that much..not AT all.. yeah.. just saying..i dont know stuff... at all... whatever you read round the site is most probably exactly what i know, no more. or maybe its from a google search or something. most of the topics round here just throw me off and i gotta go do my research on stuff... and most of the time i'm asking questions... i dont know what the FRICK got into me to start talking, but not to worry, i have been reminded Wink

Seemed to know then.

And I thought the terms Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah and Sunni were one and the same and used interchangeably.

Lilly wrote:
and salafis dont interpret stuff by themselves... they just dont follow a particular madhab blindly. that is ALL.

If that was the case then why do we get some people (won't mention any names) who encourage lay people to pick up Bukhari and Muslim and start following it?

Lilly wrote:
they do not condemn following madhab

They must come under the 'open-minded salafi' category then.

Lilly wrote:
they say, you shouldnt follow blindly everything. or start acting like other people are wrong etc..

But that is the point, one CAN follow a mujtahid blindly as Allah says in the Quran "Ask the people of knowledge if you don't know" (Surah al-Nahl, v.43). And if one is not a mujtahid, it is necessary upon them to follow someone who is. Re your second point, there many issues which have valid differences of opinions and one has to accept the various opinions but with certain things, there is no other opinion so one CAN accuse others of being wrong. Just to give one example and I'll mention the name here so people can be aware of him. The Saudi scholar who passed away about 10 years ago, Muhammad ibn al Uthaymeen held the opinion that Allah has two eyes. He has been refuted and criticized for it and rightly so. Even in fiqhi matters, there were some people who held very deviant opinions and they were also criticised.

Lilly wrote:
they say. you should follow the Quran (Allah) the prophet, the sahabas, the tabi'een, the tabi' tabi'een etc... the pious predecessors. also known as the Salaf.

I don't see any contradiction.

MuslimBro wrote:
[
Lilly wrote:
they say. you should follow the Quran (Allah) the prophet, the sahabas, the tabi'een, the tabi' tabi'een etc... the pious predecessors. also known as the Salaf.

I don't see any contradiction.

me neither, you took it out of context, i cant remember what i wrote or who "they" is.

MB said:

They must come under the 'open-minded salafi' category then.

what if it was the other way round? the one who do (condemn) were "close-minded salafis"?

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

I've come across the point that the difference between the Salafis and Sunnis is in their theology.

Hanafis = Maturidi
Shafi'i & Maliki = Ashari
Hanbalis = Salafi

Apparently there isn't actually much of a difference between Maturidi and Ashari.
Also 'normal' people don't really know which theological stance they take. Guess it would just be learnt, and a name isn't really given to it.

I'm listening to atm and I also listened to before. (Can't remember how relevant it is though :oops: )

I don't know much else about this, but I want to learn moreee Biggrin
I like the names Maturidi and Ashari, they sound cool Dirol Blum 3

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

I've come across the point that the difference between the Salafis and Sunnis is in their theology.

Hanafis = Maturidi
Shafi'i & Maliki = Ashari
Hanbalis = Salafi

Apparently there isn't actually much of a difference between Maturidi and Ashari.
Also 'normal' people don't really know which theological stance they take. Guess it would just be learnt, and a name isn't really given to it.

I'm listening to atm and I also listened to before. (Can't remember how relevant it is though :oops: )

I don't know much else about this, but I want to learn moreee Biggrin
I like the names Maturidi and Ashari, they sound cool Dirol Blum 3

I'm refreshing my memory right now. It is relevant.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

that's interesting cos it similar to some philosphy of language we're doing about learning languages, you can follow something without necessarily understanding it..
In Islam I think there is a fine balance between what we will never be able to understand and what is very important that we can understand.

How near is modern humanity to reaching the absolute limits of what a human can ever understand?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
How near is modern humanity to reaching the absolute limits of what a human can ever understand?

very far and each individual human will always only have a small piece of that and what good is it if *somebody else* knows the answer but you dont?

Pages