IVF: Right or Wrong?

91 posts / 0 new
Last post

yes and if it's this one, her "plan" has potentially been foiled.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
yes and if it's this one, her "plan" has potentially been foiled.

you mean failed?

Shes an interesting person. All her children are from the same father arent they?

I dont know if one exists but isnt there a rule which suggests that the father isnt allowed to ask for the rights if its a sperm donor thing?

New guidance on IVF defects risk

Couples seeking IVF are to be warned children born as a result of the fertility treatment may face a higher risk of birth defects.

Guidance from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) is to be updated in the light of US research.

Scientists in Atlanta found IVF babies could be up to 30% more likely to suffer from certain health problems and genetic flaws.

More than 12,000 babies were born in the UK in 2006 as a result of IVF.

Patients will be able to access the HFEA's advice on potential risks on its website from next month.

The government's fertility watchdog will also make clear the majority of babies born by IVF are healthy and that more research is needed on the birth defect issues...

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Why has it taken so long to start warning parents who want IVF treatment?

Babies conceived through in vitro fertilization (IVF), a method of assisted reproduction, have a slightly increased risk of major birth defects, such as heart or muscle and skeletal defects, compared to babies conceived naturally, according to a University of Iowa study.

The risk for IVF babies was 6.2 percent compared to 4.4 percent for naturally conceived babies. While the finding suggests a relationship between IVF and slightly more birth defects, it does not prove that the IVF procedure itself is the cause.

However, questions raised by the investigation are important to address because nearly 1 percent of all children born in the United States are conceived through IVF, said Brad Van Voorhis, M.D., UI Hospitals and Clinics reproductive endocrinologist and the F.K. "Ted" Chapler Professor of Reproductive Endocrinology in the UI Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine and a study author.

That was found in 2005. They were aware of malformations all the way back in 2005. I thought it was common knowledge that IVF can cause malformations, why is this so new?

IVF twins 'sicker in early life'

IVF twins face more health problems in early life than naturally conceived twins, experts suggest.

A study found these babies were far more likely to be admitted to neonatal intensive care and to be hospitalised in their first three years of life.

Other work in the same journal, Human Reproduction, provides reassurance on the outcomes of children born after embryos are frozen and stored, however.

A quarter of fertility treatment babies are now born after freezing.

Evidence from 21 controlled studies showed embryos that had been frozen shortly after they started to divide had a better, or at least as good, outcome in terms of premature birth and birth weight as children born from fresh cycles of IVF or another common assisted reproductive technique called ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection).

The same cannot be said for twins born after assisted reproductive therapy (ART) when compared with naturally conceived twins.

It is known already that ART twins are at higher risk of problems such as low birth weight and premature delivery than singletons around the time of their birth, but, to a large extent, these risks exist as part of the problems associated with multiple births in general...

Read more @

Well, the original story of Nadya Suleman gets more interesting:

Octuplets' mum signs rich TV deal

The California mother of octuplets born earlier this year has signed a $250,000 (£152,000) deal for all 14 of her children to star in a reality TV show.

Nadya Suleman, dubbed "Octo-Mom" by the media, inked the deal with European TV company Eyeworks, reports say.

Contracts filed with a Los Angeles court say the children will earn the money over a three-year period.

Filming is scheduled to begin on 1 September, but a judge must first approve the contracts.

Film crews will not follow Suleman and her children 24 hours a day, but will document certain milestones, such as birthdays and special events, her lawyer said earlier.

Read more @

It's "The Truman show" times 14!

wednesday wrote:
St Mary's is like a Women's Hospital where all the Gynae and baby stuff happen. They have a Genetics and IVF unit... It's amazing the number of people asking where it is!

What's more amazing is the number of women having babies!

I was born there!

Are you saying I'm a girl??

Don't just do something! Stand there.

It is 27 July in the Big Brother World. Ya'qub is starting to doubt his masculinity.

@ Weds - why are you surprised? I thought it was built into people to have a need to have offspring.

Maybe having the separation would allow the parent to be less emotional and thus be able to better care for the child? suffocation can be a bad thing as the child will need to learn about the real world too.

Swings and round abouts.

I didn't say that they didn't have the right to IVF. Of course they have the right. They're people like everyone else with their own problems/needs. My opinion was just that I would rather that that they adopted instead.

Being less emotional leading to better care of child doesn't mean having emotion leads to suffocation.

Just for clarification purposes:

What is the answer to:

Are Muslims allowed to donate eggs or sperm? and is this an act of charity?

The answer would probably be "to their spouse, yes. to anyone else, no".

You wrote:
The answer would probably be "to their spouse, yes. to anyone else, no".

How do you donate an egg to your husband/sperm to your wife?

I'm guessing the answer is No then.

Because they wouldn't be married and that is the framework that is preferred within islam?

If people want IVF from a foreign donor, they may aswell adopt - that way they will be doing more good.

You wrote:

If people want IVF from a foreign donor, they may aswell adopt - that way they will be doing more good.

They might as well?!

Through IVF, the kid will be biologically related to either the Mother/Father.

but not both.

You wrote:
but not both.

sigh.

Do you not think that might cause complications on the emotional side of things? Just because something can be done does not make it a good idea. IMO.

What if the mother later dies, would her partner become the legal custodian?

You wrote:
Do you not think that might cause complications on the emotional side of things?

What if the mother later dies, would her partner become the legal custodian?

Well, IVF isn't something you go into quickly.

I would expect couples to have talked about it for a long long time and researched the negative and positives. So they know what to at least expect, the 'what ifs' ...

You wrote:
Just because something can be done does not make it a good idea. IMO.

Obviously. E.g the choice of abortion.

"couples" don't have to be married either... they can be cohabiting for years and not consider anything wrong with that, but us as muslims would consider that sinful.

The whole thing does not really concern me... just relaying what others have concluded, and I also seem to agree with their processes of thought.

You wrote:
"couples" don't have to be married either... they can be cohabiting for years and not consider anything wrong with that, but us as muslims would consider that sinful.

Yep.

Turkey bans trips abroad for artificial insemination

A new law passed in Turkey has made it a criminal offence for a woman to go abroad and get pregnant via artificial insemination.

Artificial insemination is already illegal, but women have until now been able to go overseas to seek sperm donors.

Now they will face punishment of one to three years in prison for doing so.

Doctors and lawyers say they are trying to find out how the government plans to enforce the law.

Read more @

wow.

What are the reasons behind why it is illegal for Artificial insemination?

the Islamic requirement to not hide parental lineage - a child has a right to know who his/her parents are.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on the fact that your profile picture seems feminine on a thumbnail size.

And lol at NS trying to have so many kids and look cool at the same time. She's having a breakdown.

Daily trash sorry mail, I don't believe those journalists. She may have said theyre animals or she may have permitted the journalists to sensationalise it, the lady takes any tv appearances, radio or print media she can get her hands on its revenue for her large brood. Some may say she's greedy I say she's a clever penny pincher.

i actually feel sorry for her, yes she bought it on herself, but I think she has got psychological issues that the docs should have assessed before allowed her to have so many children. Didn't they even consider it would be too much for any woman, let alone this unstable lady?

p.s what's  are those 4 seated strollers called? I never knew you could get 4 seated ones , are they pimped up tandems? Lol seriously I thought tandems were big ( 2 seats one behind the other), ive got one. but one day i spotted a lady with triplets she had like a tandem but 3 seats. so you can imagine i saw this pram between the mothercare aisles, at first I thought aww newborns like mine, but the pram just kept going on and on. so i followed the lady for a double take, im telling you it was long like a single carrige train, but at least it was compact not widelol. But nadias takes the biscuit it's huge very wide, she wouldnt get down half the pavements in the uk, but the council would give her a mansion over here, but lets keep quiet about that in case she crosses the shores.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Pages