General Questions

421 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
"used to love marshmallows- especially in hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkeld choc on top, yum!

but then i discovered marshmallows have pork gelatine in them, i think.
imagine my horror"

Lol, I was once eating chocolate trifle, had about half of it, read the ingredients, found out it had pork gelatine in it, yuck! I guess we have all had to give something up, the amount of sweets we have had to throw away coz of gelatine. My sis says eat them first THEN check the ingredients!

"I bought some halal jelly babies and they were digustin"
Halal jelly aint that nice either, I'm talkin about the Ahmed brand. Not enough flavour.

I heard that Lucozade original had alcohol in it. Apparently a tiny amount, something like 0.001%, so small that they didn't have to declare it under British Law. Its not that they put it in on purpose, it's a by-product of the production. But now peeps are saying its okay.

What about walkers cheese & onion crisps, now they're halal, taste the same to me, why put the animal rennet in :evil: :evil: !!

I guess im lucky I dont like any of the above Wink
walkers cheese n onion DO taste the same .... i.e. before the animal rennet was used and after it was ommited....

[i] MAKES YOU THINK DOESNT IT[/i] :?

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

Random questions - pick and choose as you will, start threads if you need to... i'd rather have a full answer than a compacted one.

Is the Qur'an mainly or in part a book of Laws?

Is there any aspect of the Qur'an people can add to or supplicate - or is it simply enough?

Is one person's opinion of what the Qur'an says better than anothers?

Is one person's opinion of what the Qur'an says so much better that it is as binding as the Qur'an itself?

If there is a shadow of doubt for [i]any[/i] of the Hadith at all, and if the Qur'an is sufficient to all worldly affairs - why should muslims bother with Ahadith at all?

When - if at all - do muslims consult the Bible or Tanak?

What is the Qur'anic justification for the Caliphate?

Did Muhammad appoint a successor?

Are pre-islamic Christian saints given any significance?

Why aren't important prophets like Amos in the Islamic canon?

What was the significance of the Sufi Al Hallaj?

Are muslims "gunning" for Christian and Jews as converts? - if so why

Where did this idea that Muhammad - and all prophets - were perfect sinless people arise from?

What is the position of slavery in Islam? - Is it allowed, if so when is it allowed, why is it allowed, what are the rights of a Slave?

Is there an Islamic covenant or did the doctrine of Covenant not carry over into Islam?

I'll start a topic on qur'an and hadith...

The caliphate etc can be done by someone else... Or I may start it later...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Salam

I will give it a try:

Is the Qur'an mainly or in part a book of Laws?

[b]It is a general guide. Books of Traditions [ Hadith ] contain the exact details of the Law.[/b]

Is there any aspect of the Qur'an people can add to or supplicate - or is it simply enough?

[b]Intructions in Quran needed to be explained. Prophet did this, and Muslims recorded them in books of Traditions.[/b]

Is one person's opinion of what the Qur'an says better than anothers?

[b]Yes. Higher Clerics hold valid interpretations, just as scientists and experts always know more than the layman. And Pope knows better the Bible, than the Catholics do.[/b]

Is one person's opinion of what the Qur'an says so much better that it is as binding as the Qur'an itself?

[b]No. We are advised to "listen" to Clerics. It is never binding. Only the Prophet's own words can be binding on muslims.[/b]

If there is a shadow of doubt for any of the Hadith at all, and if the Qur'an is sufficient to all worldly affairs - why should muslims bother with Ahadith at all?

[b]Not all hadith are false. Many are weak. Many are true. Clerics work this out. Muslims judge and act accordingly.[/b]

When - if at all - do muslims consult the Bible or Tanak?

[b]They don't. Islam incorporates previous Scriptures.[/b]

What is the Qur'anic justification for the Caliphate?

[b]There isn't one. It is based on weak Traditions.[/b]

Did Muhammad appoint a successor?

[b]Shi'ites say he did. Sunnis say he didn't.[/b]

Are pre-islamic Christian saints given any significance?

[b]Yes. Quran praises some of them.[/b]

Why aren't important prophets like Amos in the Islamic canon?

[b]They are. For practical reasons, Quran simply does not name all 144,000 prophets by name.[/b]

What was the significance of the Sufi Al Hallaj?

[b]He is loved as a Saint by many muslims, and he is hated as a heretic by some muslims.[/b]

Are muslims "gunning" for Christian and Jews as converts? - if so why

[b]Yes. Islam, like Christinaity, is a missionary religion. Therefore, it also tries to "save souls" from damnation.[/b]

Where did this idea that Muhammad - and all prophets - were perfect sinless people arise from?

[b]Quran. It says that Satan vowed to lead all humans astray. God told him that he will not be able to "come near" certain individuals - i.e. the Prophets.[/b]

What is the position of slavery in Islam? - Is it allowed, if so when is it allowed, why is it allowed, what are the rights of a Slave?

[b]Yes, it is allowed. Only in time of war. Prisoners of war are techincally slaves. Their rights are same as ones given in Geneva Convention, UN charter on human rights.[/b]

Is there an Islamic covenant or did the doctrine of Covenant not carry over into Islam?

[b]No. Every human is free to accept or reject God.[/b]

Omrow

Has anyone ever been in a position they walked away from and wandered later on if that was actually a reward from God?

my local mosque had a notice up naming the drinks which had minute amounts of alcohol in them

luckily i dont drink them cuz i dont like the taste

from ones i remember: lucozade, red bull, fanta, ribena, irn bru etc.

if you are very strict about these, you will have to investigate further.

now thats a new one IRN BRU...couldnt care much about de others.

was just wondering why in haramain sharif you see people following thru the quran whilst imam leading prayers isnt that wrong? and when they go down to sajdah i heard some put the quran sharif on the floor?

[b]i want to go to kashmir to volunteer and help. does anyone know any organisation who is sending volunteers there?[/b]

"fizzy1" wrote:
[b]i want to go to kashmir to volunteer and help. does anyone know any organisation who is sending volunteers there?[/b]

Did you check Red Cross/Red Crescent?

im researching stuff now.

most places want skilled workers, i just want to help.

im going to pakistan anyway in january with my mum, mite see if she can leave me there.

otherwise i will try to organise something from here.

had a look at islamic relief too

gowin in jan aswell....kashmir quite far from us ,noone will let me go there

try contacting islam channel...im sure imam qasim was asking for volunteers.

seriously?

that even better. i will phone islam channel tomorrow and find out. do you know if they were skilled volunteers they were looking for in particular?

we live miles from the quake zone too. nr fslbaad. but im still determined to go

If you decide to go, please carry your own weight (i.e. make sure you finance yourself, and not the organisation.)

The money can be better spent on tents.

PPakistan does have a large population, and I am sure there are plenty of people there who can do alot. Best way is probably to 'employ' some, and continue to work yourself here.

That way, with the exchange rates and wage difference you will get a few people to do alot of work for the same price as if you would have done a little less. And you will directly be benefitting people by providing jobs.

Albeit that is not as rewarding, but the smart move IMO.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"UBERJUDGE DAVE" wrote:
"fizzy1" wrote:

I did say it!!!

Irfghan did you read my suggestion first or do we have a psychic link??

"naj" wrote:

was just wondering why in haramain sharif you see people following thru the quran whilst imam leading prayers isnt that wrong? and when they go down to sajdah i heard some put the quran sharif on the floor?

Well, for the ahnaaf it is not permitted to read or follow the Quran by looking into a mushaf whilst in salah. So for hanafis it is wrong to either hold the Quran or to read from it whilst in salah.

The ruling is different with some of the other 3 madhahib.

Regarding Quran on floor, I dont know abt that , but for sure they stuff it under their arms in the armpit region, which I find highly distasteful.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

So.. Rafa yadaein... hwo do they keep hold of the qur'an?

"Med" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

Well, for the ahnaaf it is not permitted to read or follow the Quran by looking into a mushaf whilst in salah. So for hanafis it is wrong to either hold the Quran or to read from it whilst in salah.

The ruling is different with some of the other 3 madhahib.

Regarding Quran on floor, I dont know abt that , but for sure they stuff it under their arms in the armpit region, which I find highly distasteful.

agreed

i noticed it too

im guessin here, presumin diffrent rules apply in Haram shareef in regards to walking infront of others when people are praying.....every1 duz it there, sum take the shoes into the sacred house of Allah swt, others, as you say, put the Quran on the floor or in thier armpits :?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Constantine" wrote:
"UBERJUDGE DAVE" wrote:
"fizzy1" wrote:

I did say it!!!

Irfghan did you read my suggestion first or do we have a psychic link??

Spooky...

( :twisted: )

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP READING MY MIND

"Admin" wrote:

they stuff the Quran Majeed under the arm bruv. seen it enough times.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

That is not acceptable. Ther eason for that was so that hypocrites could not hide idols under armpits when pretending to be muslims.

Thus the movement required would drop the qur'an. if not, they are not moving the required ammount...

Or is this an issue of dif madhabs?

"Admin" wrote:
"Med" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

That is not acceptable. Ther eason for that was so that hypocrites could not hide idols under armpits when pretending to be muslims.

Thus the movement required would drop the qur'an. if not, they are not moving the required ammount...

Or is this an issue of dif madhabs?

I dunno brother.

All I know that in hanafi madhab reading from mushaf is not permissible. In some of the other madhahib, perhaps even in all three of the other madhahib it is permitted.

I cant claim to have much knowledge regarding the required about of movement for takbeeraat. All I know is that I have seen it that the Mushaf is stuffed under arm. Personally I find that very rong.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

tiz wrong thats what i think...im sure its not an ikhtilaaf between the 4 madhabs, someone was saying it aint allowed in ALL 4 madhabs, and my mate also witnessed ppl putting the quran sharif on the floor whilst going down in sajdah..tiz VERY wrong.

"naj" wrote:
tiz VERY wrong.

tiz indeed!

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I rember when i was in haram sharif i saw this lady leave her Quran on the floor so i got up an picked it up and put it on the shelf she came to see that there was no Quran, she didnt look too happy!

i dont understand why they do this...i mean its COMMON SENSE, its VERY VERY disrespectful towards the quran sharif...such ppl get me mad.

"naj" wrote:
i dont understand why they do this...i mean its COMMON SENSE, its VERY VERY disrespectful towards the quran sharif...such ppl get me mad.

ignorance or plain stupidity!

i also understand when ur readin, ur legs and feet shouldnt be sticking out in front, ur supposed to read in an upright manner. with adab

but in uni prayer room.........i seen em lying down reading!!

and ur not supposed 2 turn your back to the Quran....seen it there too

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

a lot of dodgy stuff go on with the QURAN.

We were told in madrassah that there are seven ways to sit when reading Quran and they all are variations of the 'attahiyaat' position.

We were not permitted to sit with crossed legs, it was not respectful enough. Alhamdulillah it is from the barakah of my ustaads that I have some portion of respect for Quran, but still not enough.

Some people use the rayl as pillows in saudia!

Thats wrong on all levels.

Others sit in cross legged position, wear trousers/jeans and then hold Quran in their laps, to me that is well dodgy. Firstly when sitting trousers/jeans fit the legs perfectly, so the purpose of hijab of that clothing is not achieved, secondly placing the Quran in the lap when the satr is exposed (exposed refers to shari' exposure, viz the condition of shapeconcealment is not met) is an act of perversion which many young muslims perpetrate.

May ALLAH save us from the like of this.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Okay don't read anything into this question - it's not an insult or an accusation.

Do you think if Western Muslims didn't live in the west - they would be a lot more actively angry with the west/ perhaps even more militant?

Or... another way

Are western muslims a lot more angry about the west than they let on - and do they play that anger down because they are afraid of public reaction?

If it helps at all - it goes to something that happened at school where a friend of mine corrected himself when he almost called bin Laden's terrorism "jihad"

Pages