Nature and how to explore it

So, if you are a total beginner with nature exploring and have grown up in the urban jungle how would you go about discovering the beauty of the rest of the world? starting with the UK, Britain, the South East (for me)

where do we start? where do we go? how do we get there? what do we need to bring along? and any other relevant info.

so, was just looking at a map of britain online and saw those patches of green which seem to be national parks. that sounds pretty awesome. how does one prepare to go to a National Park? and what should one expect there?

the local park feels soo...underrated..and unadventurous...

was there yesterday, couldnt lie down though. i did drag my friend there, lured her by telling her we'd revise. so basically as soon as we found agood spot for revision we had to sit, but i wanted to explore more, especially this particular i've been seeing on the OUTSIDE on the bus. hmm..another trip is needed.

i like wide spaces and heights. you dont get much "heights" in Landan...

oh..there is this place..right behind my house actually, but never been there yet. Im actually scared of bumping into drug users or drunkards there... so i'll need a friend.

i dont like exploring unfamiliar grounds on my own. nature is unfamiliar.

im perfectly fine exploring new streets and areas. the urban jungle is familiar.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

I wish you could come down here or I could go down there and we could be adventure partners! Sad I don't have anyone who'd go exploring with me

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Cliff diving... Find a suitable cliff then jump.

Dirt biking thru woods. Get a dirt bike, locate woods, off you go.

Hiking, peak district/lake district, plenty of hiking routes,

Shark diving, Blue Planet Aquarium 

Back in BLACK

Titanium wrote:
Strawberry picking. Family trip? 

All the gardens near me have stopped doing strawberry picking a year before I moved. So gutted Sad 

Is that really something you would want to do alone?

Back in BLACK

Titanium wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
Titanium wrote:
Strawberry picking. Family trip? 

All the gardens near me have stopped doing strawberry picking a year before I moved. So gutted Sad 

Is that really something you would want to do alone?

What strawberry picking? Yes, why not? with flowers in hair in my straw hat and a wooden basket in my hand. 

So you want to pick strawberries in the 80s

lol

Back in BLACK

How's this for a thought? Bring suitable company, we'll go for a wander and I'll show you what to look for and how - even in London there are lots of places to explore nature, from well maintained secret gardens (one tiny spot that I visit when I'm in the neighbourhood is a magnet for parakeets, invasive thought they are, with it's well-stocked feeders, and it has the most gorgeous roses, every one a different scent, not to mention perfect pond and woodpile habitats for small amphibeans) to the vastness of Hampstead Heath or Richmond Park, and there are the Royal Parks and of course the Hackney Marshes and all the new Olympic-linked nature spots that I am yet to explore. Maybe I could lead a small group if you want to organise it. There's a benefit to me as well, I want to see how I get on as a nature guide. Smile

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Fine, ignore my idea. But I do happen to be in London atm and probably have some free time tomorrow, and am next in town with some time to spare on the 9th of June.

at first I thought Joie was joking when he said "fine ignore me" but it seems he was serious.. the day isnt over yet! i havent had a change to reply, by the time i saw the offer, the "ignore me" post was already there. Im really sorry! please dont be offended!!

I'm not offended (honestly you would need to try pretty hard) but I was excited by the thought. It's an open offer to anyone - TPOS I did suggest to bring suitable company, you know I understand that issue well. Smile

Anyway my two pieces of advice are to buy a field guide and to ask questions or share your experiences on a site like Wild About Britain, which has forums full of experts at your disposal and a lot of informtion.

It was you, sorry Titanium!

Smile & Smile

TPOS wrote:
I wish you could come down here or I could go down there and we could be adventure partners! Sad I don't have anyone who'd go exploring with me

Sniff. Why aren't you asking 'somebody' who lives in the same city as you to be your adventure partner? lol. I wouldn't mind going exploring with you, but i just don't know when. The non-Ramadhan summer period has been taken up and all i have left is the weekends.

There's Cannon Hill Park that's nice - the last time i visited. Do you know if they still have those boat activities? There's also Edgbaston Reservoir, Lichey Hills and Sandwell Country Park. They are BIG and there's toness to explore. You need to open your eyes a little. It's right under your doorstep.

Titanium wrote:
Strawberry picking.

A lot of my mums childhood consisted of that and mother, her siblings and the local kids had tonnes of fun. They'd come home with their baskets full, make a hole in the soil, chuck some strawberries in, add water and then each kid would have to jump in there and get all wet. Shame i haven't done such an exciting thing yet. I'd love to go strawberry picking and then to sit at home and eat them with vanilla ice cream. Delicious. 

Hummus wrote:
It's right under your doorstep.

The beetles and spiders and woodlice and slugs, all cool. Wink

Hummus wrote:
TPOS wrote:

Sniff. Why aren't you asking 'somebody' who lives in the same city as you to be your adventure partner? lol. I wouldn't mind going exploring with you, but i just don't know when. The non-Ramadhan summer period has been taken up and all i have left is the weekends.

There's Cannon Hill Park that's nice - the last time i visited. Do you know if they still have those boat activities? There's also Edgbaston Reservoir, Lichey Hills and Sandwell Country Park. They are BIG and there's toness to explore. You need to open your eyes a little. It's right under your doorstep.

woops sorry lol

Never knew Sandwell Country Park existed. (or Lichey Hills but thats probably in some random place I don't know of) I would open my eyes if people came to me to these places. Although I'd like to go hiking or like countryside and that kinda stuff rather than parks...

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Joie de Vivre wrote:
Hummus wrote:
It's right under your doorstep.

The beetles and spiders and woodlice and slugs, all cool. Wink

Cringe. You're scaring me.

TPOS wrote:
Hummus wrote:
TPOS wrote:

woops sorry lol

Never knew Sandwell Country Park existed. (or Lichey Hills but thats probably in some random place I don't know of) I would open my eyes if people came to me to these places. Although I'd like to go hiking or like countryside and that kinda stuff rather than parks...

Lichey Hills and the one in Sandwell aren't ordinary local parks. A lot better and so much more different. Lichey Hills is good for walking. It's very foresty and tree-fied. And Sandwell - well that's just lots of open space. There's sheep and long winded paths to walk upon and last time, i saw a man who released cages of pigeons from the back of his van. It was interesting. See - you need to investigate these places further.

I really want to!

and i'll join you on a day trip!! yeaaaah

Looking To See wrote:
and i'll join you on a day trip!! yeaaaah

Since the two of us are near but on opposite ends, YOU will have to come over to us since we have nice places to explore! And I shall have to ask _Me_ to join us too. She's not allowed to miss out.