‘When’s Iftari time man??!! I’m starving!’ There’s nothing better than a delicious meal to break your fast now is there? So The Revival has put together some mouth-watering dishes for you to try out this Ramadan:
Chicken Manchurian (Dry)
30 - 35 Mins
Chicken Manchurian is one of the most popular Chinese chicken recipes, but it is usually prepared with a sweet and sour sauce.
- Chicken breast 200 gm (boneless)
- Salt n black pepper to taste
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Soya sauce ¼ cup
- Sesame oil ¼ tsp
- Tomato ketchup ½ cup
- Tomato puree ½ cup
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Red chili flakes ¼ tsp
- Brown sugar ½ tsp
- White vinegar 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Onion 1
- Capsicum 1
- Carrot 1
- Green or red chili 1
- Spring onion ½ cup (sliced)
- Slice chicken breast into thin pieces.
- Marinate in ginger garlic paste, salt and black pepper, soya sauce and sesame oil for half an hour.
- Slice onion, capsicum and carrot into cubes and finely slice a green or red chili.
- Blench tomatoes, peel the skin and puree.
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil on high flame.
- Add marinated chicken and stir fry till chicken is slightly whiter.
- Then add tomato ketchup, tomato puree, red chili powder, red chili flakes, brown sugar and white vinegar, mix briefly.
- Continue to cook while stirring until mixture is thickens.
- Now add vegetables, stir fry for a couple of minutes and take off the flame.
- Serve in a deep platter with fried rice and Chinese sauce.
Strawberry Crumble Crunch
For the crumble:
50g golden caster sugar
65g ground almonds
50g plain flour
Pinch of salt
50g Unsalted Butter
For the strawberry and rose compote:
400g strawberries, washed and hulled (200g chopped, 200g quartered)
120g fruit sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp rosewater
20ml water (optional if becomes too thick)
For the marbled cream:
160ml whipping cream
400g Plain Yogurt
60g broken meringue pieces
Sprinkling freeze-dried strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC, gas mark 3.
2. To make the crumble, place the sugar, almonds, flour and salt in a food processor and pulse a couple of times to mix through. Add the butter and pulse until lumps of dough are formed. If you don’t have a food processor, rub the ingredients together by hand. Spread the crumble on a tray lined with baking paper and place the tray in the preheated oven for 20–30 minutes or until golden brown. When cooked, remove the crumble from the oven and allow to cool.
3. While the crumble is cooking, make the strawberry and rose compote. Put the chopped strawberries into a pan with the fruit sugar and allow to stand for 15 minutes to macerate. Add lemon juice. Place the pan over a medium heat, bring to the boil and allow to cook for approximately 6 minutes or until the strawberries have broken down and a thick syrup has formed. Remove the compote from the pan and place in a bowl over iced water to cool. Once completely cold, add the rest of the strawberries, rosewater and water. Stir to combine.
4. For the marbled cream, whip the cream to medium peaks and fold the yogurt into the whipped cream. Add 2 tbsp strawberry and rose compote and fold through to create a ripple effect.
5. To assemble, place the remaining compote into a large glass serving bowl and top with a layer of the marbled cream. Sprinkle with meringue pieces and crumble and finish with freeze-dried strawberries.
Do not assemble the puds until the last minute or the meringue and crumble will go soft.
How’s this for a tasty dessert dish! Learn how to make the Lebanese kunafa with kunafa pastry- found in Arab/Mediterranean groceries- and soft cheese (Philadelphia style).
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Ingredients - Serves 6 persons
5 cups kataifi shredded pastry
4 tbsp BBQ ghee (melted)
8 table spoons of soft cheese
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp pine nuts(roasted and chopped)
Ingredients for sugar syrup
1 ½ cup sugar
2 cup water
1 tbsp orange flavoured water (optional)
Grease a shallow oven dish.
Separately place the shredded pastry in a large bowl and add the BBQ ghee and mix thoroughly. Then take half of this mixture and arrange in the greased dish.
Next mix the soft cheese, sugar, rose water and yoghurt until you get a smooth mixture. Then pipe a layer of the soft cheese mixture, sprinkle the chopped pine nuts and finish with the remaining shredded pastry mixture. Bake it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 180C or until it is golden.
In the meantime prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar, water and orange flavoured water together for about ten minutes.
Pour the sugar syrup on top and the dish is ready to serve.