Schools in England should be fined if pupils leave school with poor literacy skills

Schools in England should be fined if pupils leave school with poor literacy skills, an independent report into last year's riots says.

It adds they should demonstrate how they are building pupils' characters, and give careers advice to each child.

In its final report into disturbances, the Riots, Communities and Victims Panel puts schools firmly in the spotlight for preventing future riots.

But head teachers have dismissed the recommendations as unrealistic

Schools in England should be fined if pupils leave school with poor literacy skills, an independent report into last year's riots says.

Shut some of em down

Its all about exams and meeting targets

My English is not very good

I think the education system is rubbish.

Teaches you more about how to pass an exam than anything else. I could get a 100% in something and hardly remember any of it a year later, perhaps even a month later. So what's the point :/

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
I think the education system is rubbish.

Teaches you more about how to pass an exam than anything else. I could get a 100% in something and hardly remember any of it a year later, perhaps even a month later. So what's the point :/

Another riot might sort things out, 1 riot’s got them thinking about it another one and they might actually do something

Schools are not businesses.

fining schools takes money out of them. Instead of finding the flaws and fixing them, this could just make it harder.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Oh yh, someone was telling me schools may become or be on the way to privatisation... :/

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

You wrote:
Schools are not businesses.

yeah state ones

You wrote:

fining schools takes money out of them.Instead of finding the flaws and fixing them, this could just make it harder.

That might teach them a lesson. What they could also do is pay teachers on success rate of the school- Teachers getting paid massive amounts for failing students I don't agree with that

Oh yh, someone was telling me schools may become or be on the way to privatisation... :/

Once they mess up the NHS this will be next

They've already messed it up

They've already messed it up

Not yet