English tests for immigrant spouses fair, court rules

The High Court has dismissed a challenge to laws that require immigrant spouses to be able to speak English in order to live in the UK.

Three couples had challenged the rules which were introduced in November 2010.

But Mr Justice Beatson ruled the new language test was not a disproportionate interference with the couples' right to family life.

The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants said the ruling would affect many UK citizens

But Immigration Minister Damian Green said: "We believe it is entirely reasonable that someone intending to live in the UK should understand English, so that they can integrate and participate fully in our society.

"We are very pleased that the courts agree with us."

I don't know how well those tests work (cuz you could get away with knowing almost no english with the old system using fake certificates or whatever) but I do think it's right for people who want to come here to know english.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
I don't know how well those tests work (cuz you could get away with knowing almost no english with the old system using fake certificates or whatever) but I do think it's right for people who want to come here to know english.

Am I seeing things or do you actually agree with me for the first time? lets hope it’s not the first and last time lol

My English is not very good

Well they want to live in a completely new country, it makes sense for them to know the language to get by. Can't always have translators...and it's kinda 'rude'.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

i dont agree. i know ppl who have done arabic for years ony after living in an arab country were they fluent. many people will be rejected because they lack fluency, or the money to take english lessons, especially if they are coming from 3rd world countries. if the tests were around when my parents were in their countries my mother father and sister would have been dead before they could get entrance to this country because they couldnt speak english and they were in a war situation.

are we saying people who cant speak fluent english can' contibute to society? , because there r so many asian businesses that are built by immigrants with a poor grasp of english.

i say yes they should learn english, but dont make it a condition of entry, some ppl have dire circumstances, make it a condition on entry and of right to a british passport.

if this law has passed all the english in spain shold be kicked out for making their ghettos and not bothering to learn basic spanish. their spanish amounts to dellboys 'olla pint beer porfavooor .

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
i dont agree. i know ppl who have done arabic for years ony after living in an arab country were they fluent. many people will be rejected because they lack fluency, or the money to take english lessons,

In saudi you cant even own your property let alone anything else

Hajjar wrote:

especially if they are coming from 3rd world countries. if the tests were around when my parents were in their countries my mother father and sister would have been dead before they could get entrance to this country because they couldnt speak english and they were in a war situation.

In a war like situation you would choose the nearest safe country

Hajjar wrote:

are we saying people who cant speak fluent english can' contibute to society? , because there r so many asian businesses that are built by immigrants with a poor grasp of english.

It's not that but them not knowing English is or could be seen as a hindrance in their progress

Hajjar wrote:

i say yes they should learn english, but dont make it a condition of entry, some ppl have dire circumstances, make it a condition on entry and of right to a british passport.

I don’t think it’s such a tall order

Hajjar wrote:

if this law has passed all the english in spain shold be kicked out for making their ghettos and not bothering to learn basic spanish. their spanish amounts to dellboys 'olla pint beer porfavooor .

[/quote]

That would be the argument but then the lucky thing for them is that English is a widely spoken and understood language so they won’t have that much trouble

My English is not very good