How to ask for forgiveness

I can glorify Allah, thank Him, ask of everything from Him but sometimes asking for forgiveness just seems hard.

Sometimes I just feel to dirty and sinful to 'bother'. I know that's an even more reason to turn back and ask for forgiveness but I just feel...I can't.

Other times it just doesn't feel sincere and so I feel it's pointless to ask for forgiveness..."If I'm likely to do it again then, it's meaningless, stupid, an act of hypocrisy"

Again, I know the solution to that - just don't do it again. But that's hard too.

And then there's thing(s) which I've asked forgiveness for and left behind but the reminders (and sometimes 'consequences') come back to haunt me and I feel that sense of dirtyness again, and obviously ask for forgiveness again but after a while I'll probably be reminded again. This makes me feel as though Allah hasn't accepted my forgiveness. Of course I can never know if He has/will but it is said that a sincere regret/plea of forgiveness is accepted and Allah (swt) is Ar-Rahman/Ar-Raheem so inshaAllah He will. I just don't want to feel rubbish, I want to move on Sad

I can relate to what ur saying here.

This makes me feel as though Allah hasn't accepted my forgiveness. Of course I can never know if He has/will

Dont think this. Forgiveness is guaranteed. Making people feel that they shouldn't even bother is a tool of Shaytaan. Like when someone misses a prayer, why bother praying the next? (Heard someone mention this in a talk. I must find it inshaaAllah)

Even though u might feel that ur seeking of forgiveness isnt sincere, I think when someone would be insincere is,if they ask for forgiveness but they'll have the intention to commit the sin again and dont feel remorse when they have committed the sin. So why would they bother to ask for forgiveness in the first place ur probably wondering..

Seeking forgiveness and falling into the sin again after trying to abstain isnt the same thing though. Seeking of forgiveness is a continuous (right spelling?) thing. I think I read somewhere tht Allah(swt) loves the sinner who repents because he knows he has a Lord.

Sorry I kinda felt I knw what I was talking about at first, dnt knw what happened there :/

EDIT: was just gonna add..maybe it would help if u actually wrote it down if one of the issues is tht u find it difficult to express urself. if.

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

Remember that there is nothing than the mercy of God and that a sinner repenting is more closer to God than one that didn't sin in the first place (mainly because repentance is hard).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Just gonna echo what has allready been said. Ok what it is right is i'm gonna just repeat what Nouman Ali Khan said (i think that's where Billz hearf it from too) in his talk about the people of taqwah. Who are the people of taqwah? They are those who when they sin they return to Allah, trust me the shaytan's just getting to your head or well trying to anyway. Since you're still here feeling guilty etc it's really working.

You're smart so stop second guessing yourself, don't let shaytan get you down. You know that when you sin the only one that can help you, guide you, or punish you for that matter is Allah swt. So who are you gonna turn to? When you sin you're displeasing Allah so the only way to to rectify it is by turning to Allah with sincerity.

I guess you'll never feel forgiven until you actually give up the sin and Allah blesses you with Imaan, cause that just feels like a gift from Allah. Also would like to add that we can't overcome our nafs on our own, it's just too hard. When you try though to that point where you give your all, Allah will help you at the final hurdle. So when making dua always ask for forgiveness and guidance.

Remember if Allah has given you the ability to make dua than He will surely accept your duas. Gotta have faith and patience. May Allah guide us all. Ameen

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Thanks for the comments. And thank you for reminding me of that talk Foysol. Although I already remember the concepts mentioned still can't help felling it'd be pointless etc but like u said it's shaytan trying to get to me

Foysol89 wrote:

I guess you'll never feel forgiven until you actually give up the sin and Allah blesses you with Imaan, cause that just feels like a gift from Allah. Also would like to add that we can't overcome our nafs on our own, it's just too hard. When you try though to that point where you give your all, Allah will help you at the final hurdle. So when making dua always ask for forgiveness and guidance.

thing is, It is a thing of the past, a one-off but I'm haunted by it Sad

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

People make mistakes.

Sometimes you have to come to accept that they were made and not let them knock you so badly that it will prevent you from doing future good (which will be afected if you let it hit your confidence too badly).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

admins right, the past is the past u cant change it. What u do with ur future is upto u, so what u gonna do? (hint: the answer is nt to call ghost busters Blum 3 )

It was a Nouman Ali Khan talk but it wasnt the people of Taqwa i dnt think

bilan wrote:

It was Smile check it again.

Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:

lol! why do i feel tht Smile is supposed to be a 'you ?@!'*&'? Blum 3 lool!

bilan wrote:
Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:

:s beats me, no idea

Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:
Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:

ok maybe it wasnt in this case, but uve seen it used like tht right? passive aggressive smiley?

bilan wrote:
Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:
Foysol89 wrote:
bilan wrote:

ok maybe it wasnt in this case, but uve seen it used like tht right? passive aggressive smiley?

:badgrin: no idea what you're talking about

no kidding :roll:

Lol

bilan wrote:
admins right, the past is the past u cant change it. What u do with ur future is upto u, so what u gonna do? (hint: the answer is nt to call ghost busters Blum 3 )

It's about the consequences of those actions - they sometimes impact on the future.

Ah well. Anyway...

[IMG]
[IMG]

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

If a person does not accept the Walayah of Imam Ali,
then he or she will not be forgiven by Allah.

God is very merciful, but can atheists ask God for forgiveness and get it?

Similarly, will God forgive Jews?

If you think hard, then to get forgiveness from God,
you need to believe in God, follow Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), and love Imam Ali.

Prophet (pbuh) had appointed Ali as leader and guardian of Muslims.

Prophet (pbuh) said, only a true believer will love Ali.

Therefore, love Ali and dislike all his enemies. Only then God will love you.

No Ali no forgiveness.

This is true Islam.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

I disagree, but thank you for your contribution malik

answering the main topic, i think we all feel this way. tis a sign our heart hasnt become "contented" yet (Bilan's topic entitled contentment) so tis good.

but that horrible feeling IS horrible and just ....HORRIBLE! (losing my vocab...)

but i guess you could turn it into something good. like remind yourself of how you gona feel after you do that sin. and that might be a good enough deterrant and you'll be able to stop that sin.

and yeah..i never understood how to repent when you know you're gona sin again. well not sin but like, do tht act again.. which might turn into a waste of time and turn into a sin... i dont know. its hard. i guess thats what life is about. that constant struggle.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

and yeah..i never understood how to repent when you know you're gona sin again. well not sin but like, do tht act again.. which might turn into a waste of time and turn into a sin... i dont know. its hard. i guess thats what life is about. that constant struggle.

but u dnt knw though. when u sin and u ask for forgiveness because u feel bad about it, u would try ur hardest to stay away. if this doesnt happen -which is likely in most cases- u ask forgiveness again. but i think theres a big diff though. the issue with forgiveness is to invoke having tht urgent need to be forgiven every time u ask for forgiveness.

Sometimes you fail and you need to try and try again.

Knowing that you will fail does not mean that you should trying to succeed.

and as long as you try, there is nothing more that can be asked of you.

You wrote:

Knowing that you will fail does not mean that you should trying to succeed.

(Y)

You wrote:

Knowing that you will fail does not mean that you should STOP trying to succeed.

indeed. but... i find it difficult to not get it right the first time. the hard example in my life: personal statement.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Ibn Abbas narrated that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: "Allah will dispel his worries of one who regularly prays for forgiveness, He will lead him out of trying situations, and grant him earnings from sources he does not anticipate." (Reported in Sunan Abu Dawud)

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Ibn Abbas narrated that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: "Allah will dispel his worries of one who regularly prays for forgiveness, He will lead him out of trying situations, and grant him earnings from sources he does not anticipate." (Reported in Sunan Abu Dawud)

Subhanallah

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPObYlB9EFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]

Subhanallah Sad

Amazing an powerful reminder of Allah's mercy.

Do you get seduced by the arabic speeches over a musical background?

(Music is a powerful thing.)

Don't think i noticed music in the background, i hate music in the background....it forces emotion. Plus i don't usually listen to arabic speeches, just watched it cause a friend sent it to me.

Lool i was busy reading the translation. That's the main point anyway, the Qur'an ayats he recites.

[qs:3:16]

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Allah, the Lord of honour and glory, will accept the repentance of His servant till his death-rattle begins."

Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

malik wrote:
If a person does not accept the Walayah of Imam Ali,
then he or she will not be forgiven by Allah.

God is very merciful, but can atheists ask God for forgiveness and get it?

Similarly, will God forgive Jews?

If you think hard, then to get forgiveness from God,
you need to believe in God, follow Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), and love Imam Ali.

Prophet (pbuh) had appointed Ali as leader and guardian of Muslims.

Prophet (pbuh) said, only a true believer will love Ali.

Therefore, love Ali and dislike all his enemies. Only then God will love you.

No Ali no forgiveness.

This is true Islam.

Malik, why would an atheist ask God for forgiveness? LOL! That's not what an atheist is!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

when I fully intend to do that bad again I still ask for forgiveness knowing full well I'm not sincere then I have to ask forgiveness for being insincere so it goes something like this 'I'm so sorry Allah jee please forgive me but I've got a feeling I might do it again but give me strength not to. And please forgive me for my insincerity plus I know I'm the crud of the earth but you really have to stop me from doing it and make me good. Thank you '. I don't bother with give me strength any more I just go straight to 'do it for me make it happen cos I'm useless and can't do it myself my will is weak and my brain weaker. And so on and so on until I feel that I have yet once again become a bit insincere and then I have to apologise again for being insincere. You'd think after this exhausting process I'd just give up the bad but no I just go ahead and do it again. And then I have to apologise again.

laila wrote:
when I fully intend to do that bad again I still ask for forgiveness knowing full well I'm not sincere then I have to ask forgiveness for being insincere so it goes something like this 'I'm so sorry Allah jee please forgive me but I've got a feeling I might do it again but give me strength not to. And please forgive me for my insincerity plus I know I'm the crud of the earth but you really have to stop me from doing it and make me good. Thank you '. I don't bother with give me strength any more I just go straight to 'do it for me make it happen cos I'm useless and can't do it myself my will is weak and my brain weaker. And so on and so on until I feel that I have yet once again become a bit insincere and then I have to apologise again for being insincere. You'd think after this exhausting process I'd just give up the bad but no I just go ahead and do it again. And then I have to apologise again.

Smile

Pages