Somalia's al-Shabab rebels leave Mogadishu

Somalia's al-Shabab Islamist rebels have pulled out of all positions in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, government and rebel spokesmen say.

President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed declared the rebels defeated after they left overnight on trucks.

However, al-Shabab described the move as a "change of military tactics".

The conflict has hampered aid efforts in the famine-hit country, with the militia barring some aid agencies from central and southern areas it controls.

Read more @

all I can say is w00t! w000t!

There is a famine this year in Somalia and surrounding territories and al shabaab was not allowing aid agencies to operate in its controlled areas, denying that there was a famine and there are reports that it was the famine struck region.

I assume such actions helped it lose much legitimacy and inshallah it will be driven away from all of Somalia soon allowing the people to get the aid they need and eventually live more prosperous lives too.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
all I can say is w00t! w000t!

There is a famine this year in Somalia and surrounding territories and al shabaab was not allowing aid agencies to operate in its controlled areas, denying that there was a famine and there are reports that it was the famine struck region.

I assume such actions helped it lose much legitimacy and inshallah it will be driven away from all of Somalia soon allowing the people to get the aid they need and eventually live more prosperous lives too.

omg, totally stole my woot, woot :shock:

well, ya pretty much said it all, Ill just add: idiots! :/

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

You wrote:

Fool what's wrong with them?!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Call me crazy or whatever but I don't trust anything they say. I don't know much about what's happening in Somalia but i believe there's more to it then what meets the eye. We'll see soon enough.

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

yes, lets be suspicious of all news reports as long as the people put in a bad light claim to be acting in the name of Islam...

Al Shabaab have been bad news for a long time.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Foysol89 wrote:
Call me crazy or whatever but I don't trust anything they say. I don't know much about what's happening in Somalia but i believe there's more to it then what meets the eye. We'll see soon enough.

Im calling ya crazy(joke). Al-shabab, like admin said has been no good news for the people of Somalia for a loong time. It would have been a case of not trusting the news if the people of Somalia were in a state of well being, but theyre not, which speaks for itself no? Im baffled at how people can justify the ends by the means..baffled.

What was so bad about them?
There's problems with youth everywhere...

Apart from the foreign aid thing, cos that was very political. i mean in general when they were given a chance in power?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

They have been controlling southern somalia for a year or two now, and have been pretty brutal at it too.

I put up a about them before, but not too much.

Ya'qub wrote:

Apart from the foreign aid thing, cos that was very political. i mean in general when they were given a chance in power?

Isnt that bad enough? :s

bilan wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Well not specifically if the aid was being used to support their rivals in the region, you'd understand their reasons. Especially since western powers had been trying to get rid of them for years. HAve they had a chance to actually govern without fighting the whole time?

I may be wrong, they might be warlords or something

There could have been peace by now.

They were part of the UIC, but when peace was made between the UIC and the interim government (which gave the head of the UIC the presidency and other powers), they broke away from the UIC.

Even if al Shabaab "win", that does not mean peace - Al Shabaab is two groups (Al Shabaab and Hizbul Islam) both of who were part of the older more tolerant UIC (which was driven out by the US and ethiopia in 2006) who have a ceasefire between themselves in place that is set to last UNTIL they defeat the current government. Once that is done, the two groups will vie for power between themselves.

I am certain I wrote an article on Somalia at some point... (just checking) I have but it has not been published yet. I will ask 'Ed if I can pout it in the current web-only issue 18 (but dont get your hopes up).

Another thing to add is the "foreign/arab element" - when pakistan started cracking down on the groups operating on its border, many of the arab fighters there were shipped out by their backers/sponsors and sent into Somalia to fight as part of Al Shabaab.

Thanks. very informative

Ya'qub wrote:
bilan wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Well not specifically if the aid was being used to support their rivals in the region, you'd understand their reasons. Especially since western powers had been trying to get rid of them for years. HAve they had a chance to actually govern without fighting the whole time?

I may be wrong, they might be warlords or something

I meant general aid, like Red Cross and that to help the civilans struck by the famine. you werent talking about that were you?

- may be slightly out of date.