Instrumental Music

Salaam..

I just want to find out whether Music is allowed in Islam. Whether that be Instrumental or with lyrics.

Things is, many people agree with instrumental music as it has no meaning behind it- however, I thought that musical instruments are haraam in Islam?
Furthermore, if Music was haraam- then how come it is so renowned worldwide by Nasheed artists..ext.

Personally, I do listen to music- but I am always having second thoughts as to whether it is right or not...

Will anyone PLEASE give their opinions and supported Ahadeeth, InshAllah.. I would be truly grateful..

Jazakhallah...

Music should be allowed,they say its Roh Ki Ghaza

What kind of music are you into?

My English is not very good

Erm... let's say.. Rapping and Upbeat music... however, I listen very Keenly to Native Deen and Outlandish.. which is really updated to music...

Just wondering.. what is 'Roh Ki Ghaza'

_Me_ wrote:

Just wondering.. what is 'Roh Ki Ghaza'

Food of the soul

Really?? I thought the food of the soul was worship.. Smile
But many scholars do not agree with music as it is the 'work of the devil'

Apparently, the only musical instrument allowed is the 'Daf'- Personally, I think that Music should be allowed, as long it does not lead to evil temptations and actions..

Just my opinion... Smile

Welcome to 'The Revival' 'Me' Smile (feel free to introduce yourself in the new members forum)

There seems to be a few different views regarding the issue and I personally go with that musical instruments apart from the drum (and I think other percussion instruments) which have been mentioned in hadith etc are haram.

There's also been a number of threads discussing this issue, if you want to read an old one, here's one

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Well, thank you very much for welcoming me.. I feel at home already Smile

The info I read seems pretty interesting.. thank you for mentioning it.. and I will introduce myself in more detail InshAllah.. Biggrin

_Me_ wrote:
Really?? I thought the food of the soul was worship.. Smile
But many scholars do not agree with music as it is the 'work of the devil'

Yes, they say Gaana Roh ki Ghaza Hai in Urdu in English it means Music is food for the Soul if you don't know Urdu then you will not understand this old saying

_Me_ wrote:

Apparently, the only musical instrument allowed is the 'Daf'- Personally, I think that Music should be allowed, as long it does not lead to evil temptations and actions..

Just my opinion... Smile

But the Qawwals who sing Qawwalies (Muslim Religious songs) they some times use the Baaja I don't know what that is in English someone else might be able to tell you

To be honest with you there is no fun in Islam, No Films, No Music, No Dance or anything of that nature which is very sad in my view

_Me_ wrote:

The info I read seems pretty interesting.. thank you for mentioning it.. and I will introduce myself in more detail InshAllah.. Biggrin

you're welcome and good to hear Smile

stopincest wrote:

Yes, they say Gaana Roh ki Ghaza Hai in Urdu in English it means Music is food for the Soul if you don't know Urdu then you will not understand this old saying

Roh = cry
Ruh = soul

Blum 3 Wink

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Yes but that is the beauty of the Islamic faith. I mean even the word FUN can take you to hell- how much FUN can you have in order to satisfy yourself?

You see, my opinion is gradually turning away from music for many things actually.. many of it being people use it for the wrong reasons..ext.

Oh yeah- this life is temporary, sure- if you want fun go ahead.. I mean nothing is stopping you.. but then again..why ruin your chances..?? Smile

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
_Me_ wrote:

you're welcome and good to hear Smile

stopincest wrote:

Roh = cry
Ruh = soul

Blum 3 Wink

Does the Grammar police come on this forum at night time or what Blum 3

_Me_ wrote:
Yes but that is the beauty of the Islamic faith. I mean even the word FUN can take you to hell- how much FUN can you have in order to satisfy yourself?

You see, my opinion is gradually turning away from music for many things actually.. many of it being people use it for the wrong reasons..ext.

Oh yeah- this life is temporary, sure- if you want fun go ahead.. I mean nothing is stopping you.. but then again..why ruin your chances..?? Smile

Are you being serious about the beauty bit when linking it to what you have said? :S

Anyway, it depends on your idea of fun - there's plenty of halal ways to have fun Smile

_Me_ wrote:

That all depends case to case

_Me_ wrote:

Music can also unite, besides they say music has no language

_Me_ wrote:

[/quote]

What chances?

lol don't worry, he was referring to me as the grammar police, not you Smile

and you're welcome, enjoy your sleep and a have a great fast Biggrin

wsalaam

_Me_ wrote:
Hahahahahaha.... Smile

Grammar police?? Naahh...
Gooodbyee and Sleep Well Biggrin

That was said for TPOS not you

Bye

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
lol don't worry, he was referring to me as the grammar police, not you Smile

and you're welcome, enjoy your sleep and a have a great fast Biggrin

wsalaam

Thanks for pointing out my error and you too- have a great ramadan! Biggrin

BTW why are you called the 'Grammar police?'
Just curious Smile

_Me_ wrote:
Salaam..

I just want to find out whether Music is allowed in Islam. Whether that be Instrumental or with lyrics.

Things is, many people agree with instrumental music as it has no meaning behind it- however, I thought that musical instruments are haraam in Islam?
Furthermore, if Music was haraam- then how come it is so renowned worldwide by Nasheed artists..ext.

Personally, I do listen to music- but I am always having second thoughts as to whether it is right or not...

Will anyone PLEASE give their opinions and supported Ahadeeth, InshAllah.. I would be truly grateful..

Additional info; I am new to this forum and am looking forward to explore people's opinions! Smile

Jazakhallah...

Salaam! welcome to revival!! just wanted to say, if your heart is tending away from music then dump it. one less thing to be addicted to, more time to do more things that will bring you closer to Allah. its a win win situation.

i was listening to this talk. and the speaker said something really quite good. when we are judged. we wont be questionned about how many song lyrics we know or how many artist and their biography we know. We'll be asked about how much Quran we know and we will go up in Jannah accordingly.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
Salaam! welcome to revival!! just wanted to say, if your heart is tending away from music then dump it. one less thing to be addicted to, more time to do more things that will bring you closer to Allah. its a win win situation.

i was listening to this talk. and the speaker said something really quite good. when we are judged. we wont be questionned about how many song lyrics we know or how many artist and their biography we know. We'll be asked about how much Quran we know and we will go up in Jannah accordingly.

Salaam...

That's true... I am actually starting to realize the negativity that music has actually.. Yeah, I guess you are right- it holds no value and obviously going to Jannah and the hereafter are more important... Smile

Jazakhallah for that- I really appreciate it- and I'm glad to be here! Biggrin

Lilly wrote:

My parents say that

stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

My parents say that

ahh..and we know how you feel about your parents right?

but, in islam, its not about what the parents say, its about what the QURAN and SUNNAH say. which parents may or may not relate correctly.

Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

My parents say that

but, in islam, its not about what the parents say, its about what the QURAN and SUNNAH say. which parents may or may not relate correctly.

Too Truee.... Smile

Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:
Lilly wrote:

My parents say that

I feel ok about my parents

From what I understand in Islam it is the duty of the parents to bring there child up in a religious manner which is difficult in the UK and other western countries because parents could be punished for the tiniest of things besides kids are free thinkers in western countries and they don't buy into religion

stopincest wrote:
besides kids are free thinkers in western countries and they don't buy into religion

everyone is a free thinker.
all over the world

and people who DONT think dont buy into religion...

Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:
besides kids are free thinkers in western countries and they don't buy into religion

all over the world

But some people hide there feelings about religion due to the fear of being killed

lollywood wrote:
Lilly wrote:
stopincest wrote:

all over the world

But some people hide there feelings about religion due to the fear of being killed

your point? in CONTEXT?

Lilly wrote:

your point? in CONTEXT?

In Islam people kill anyone who denounces ther religion from what I understand

In medieval times, several Sunni schools of Islamic jurisprudence held that apostasy by a male Muslim is punishable by death, differing on whether to execute the apostate immediately or grant the apostate an initial opportunity to repent and thus avoid penalty

Not often/always.

You are a case in point.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wait..PAUSE. how does

relate to

stopincest wrote:

lilly wrote in answer:

all over the world

??????????

Lilly wrote:
wait..PAUSE. how does

relate to

stopincest wrote:

lilly wrote in answer:

all over the world

??????????

Put it this way they only follow religion to keep there parents happy, when they reach a certain age they then move away from religion, at least that's what I have seen - what's your experience or observation in this?

Pages