Adhan of the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, Syria

Ocean wrote:
hmm how come ppl in Prophet's time didn't add on Praises for the Prophet (saw)?

Why did they just stop at "and Muhammed is the messenger for Allah"?

I have been told by someone that the salawat are mentioned in ahadith too. (I asked him his opinion on the adhaan as mentioned in and he said yes there are ahadith that mention the salawat too, but strictly they are not a part of adhaan - some read them before the adhaan and some after).

Not seen them myself though.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It was probably was a common practice - it is considered a sunnah by atleast the shafi'is it seems (read the comments in the linke in the other topic, where it is discussed more). but reading more, there is saying that there should be a missing of a few beats to separate the two.

There is some more about it (though I haven't really read it myself either).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I have been told by someone that the salawat are mentioned in ahadith too.

Yep.

As giving the salawat after adhan is neglected nowadays, the muezzin does it to remind the people. People who go Syria or places where they normally do that are normally surprised when they hear it for the first time.