Whiter than Milk

Salaam,

I grew up hearing my gran reminding me to drink a lot or milk - cos apparently Milk keeps you white but tea makes you dark.

I've also grown up hearing people being celebrated for their beauty cos they were fairer than the average...

I've personally know countless people who only stipulate 'fair skin' when looking for a marriage partner for their children or for themselves.

Fair and lovely cream and so many other banned face bleaching cream are so readily available in the Middle East and in the Subcontinent.

The "Aryan" invaders (fair skinned group of people) conquered the Subcontinent around 1500 BC. They installed themselves as a dominant élite, and 'darker' people were were reduced to inferior status.

Since then marrying a person "fairer" than yourself, is a means of ensuring upward social mobility for your offspring (and of course, guaranteeing fair children).

How much of a big deal is skin colour in your life?

Wasalaam

Happy New Year!

Most Jewish girls I talk to are pretty white but so long as we clicked different roots would be just as nice, attractive even.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

A lot of what people look for a partner is about biology and wellbeing.

What the last generation looked for may no longer be current.

People who worked in the searing heat of the sun had dark skin. Thus lighter skin hinted at affluence.

When there were times of food scarcity, people would look for partners with a bit of meat on them - it once again indicated affluence and future security.

There was a programme on TV a while ago called "make me white" where the face cream the presenter used made her skin darker. However the skins health did improve and many thought that it had gone lighter.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I think alot of people still make a big deal out of it.

Fair skin is an attractive feature but not the bee all and end all. IMO the wrapping is less important than the chocolatey goodness inside Biggrin

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
I think alot of people still make a big deal out of it.

Fair skin is an attractive feature but not the bee all and end all. IMO the wrapping is less important than the chocolatey goodness inside Biggrin

Hmmm..imagine people had chocolate flavoured arteries.

I drink more than milk. I must have a dark complexion than!

Skin colour...has never really ever bothered me ever and I hope it remains that way!

The whiter the better, I don't want to bump into her in the dark. I would'nt say like milk, but atleast halfway decent. Too dark just puts me off.

Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me.
-Imam Al-Ghazali

so decency is linked with skin colour. so the darker a person is the less decent they are?

As for bumping into ppl in the dark, try using a light, or better yet your eye sight, or erm brain that would help.

disgusting comment, some tact wouldn't go amiss. finding a certain colour more attractive than another is fine and dandy, but the way you expressed it was rank!

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I doubt he(?) means that type of decency - more what he considers "decently attractive".

Each to their own and people, you have a right to not marry someone you don't want to for whatever reason. That could be both/either you not being satisfied by their looks or them not being satiffied with yours.

Not a big issue really IMO.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
There was a programme on TV a while ago called "make me white" where the face cream the presenter used made her skin darker. However the skins health did improve and many thought that it had gone lighter.

Yep, remember watching it.

Skin colour shouldn't matter to me but it does. I don't want to become any darker. If I'm walking down the road, I'll usually take the side which has shade, or if I'm standing around for something/someone, I'll try and stand under the shade of a tree/building. Its not something I normally think about, I just do it.

PS. I have used Fair and lovely cream when my mum bought a dozen when we went back home.

Great stuff - someone who admits caring for his appearance!

These days however a (real!) tan is a greater sign of affluence as it means that people can go on holiday etc and hey ho, its considered more attractive!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

So by saying whiter skin is beautiful, then it just shows how limited a mind you really have.

Back in BLACK

MuslimBro wrote:

Skin colour shouldn't matter to me but it does. I don't want to become any darker. If I'm walking down the road, I'll usually take the side which has shade, or if I'm standing around for something/someone, I'll try and stand under the shade of a tree/building. Its not something I normally think about, I just do it.

PS. I have used Fair and lovely cream when my mum bought a dozen when we went back home.

OMG :O That is pretty shocking! especially coming from a guy!! fair and lovely and other creams just bleach and ruin the skin don't they?

Dude, don't worry, you can't be that ugly! Blum 3 Biggrin

are my thoughts on the matter.

To add to that, i admit one of the first things i notice and associate with beauty is the person's skin colour but i find both tanned and fair attractive. Also in that ^ i've mentioned how personality is more important. However its not jsut that its important but for me a persons personality changes the way i see them. Even if i initially thought a person was beautiful, if they've got a horrible personality i will look at them and think they're ugly. and vice versa.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

This thread is making me hungry.

I may go and make myself some toast with white bread and then maybe white chocolate chipped cookies.

s.b.f wrote:
white chocolate chipped cookies.

yum! im gna have one too Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

s.b.f wrote:

I may go and make myself some toast with white bread and then maybe white chocolate chipped cookies.

I dunno, i quite like brown chocolate.

Back in BLACK

Could fixation on the fairness of skin be partly because of an inferiority complex amongst certain cultures?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Seraphim wrote:
s.b.f wrote:

I dunno, i quite like brown chocolate.

I thought people preferred white chocolate over brown?

It's not about the appearance anyhows, its all about the taste. I suppose white chocolate can get a bit too sweet? Thoughts?

I've never really cared about skin colour...
But, my brother( as weird as he is) was once saying that a good couple (appearance-wise) consists of the guy being darker than the girl. (what?) He's always spending a fortune buying all these weird tanning products; which totally freak me out, because they're not possibly going to work on his deadly Aryan skin! So, I guess being fair, isn't all it's cracked out to be....

Love is a serious mental disease.

Seraphim wrote:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

So by saying whiter skin is beautiful, then it just shows how limited a mind you really have.

I agree totally.

Isha Al-Maghribi wrote:
my brother( as weird as he is) was once saying that a good couple (appearance-wise) consists of the guy being darker than the girl. (what?) He's always spending a fortune buying all these weird tanning products

Oh dear.

Milk is a very beneficial drink to have. Milk can generally make our body healthy, it can also make your skin glowing and thus can provide you with essential B vitamins that are important for hair growth. having enough milk on a daily basis can prevent you from having hair loss or any hair problems. To me, doesn't really matter what skin color you have, whats important is the inner being of an individual.

Hajjar wrote:
so decency is linked with skin colour. so the darker a person is the less decent they are?

As for bumping into ppl in the dark, try using a light, or better yet your eye sight, or erm brain that would help.

disgusting comment, some tact wouldn't go amiss. finding a certain colour more attractive than another is fine and dandy, but the way you expressed it was rank!

Tact? What's the reason for that, I am not commenting about a specific person who's feelings may be hurt, just a generalisation.

The whole decency thing really made me laugh.

Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me.
-Imam Al-Ghazali

alicia0945 wrote:
Milk is a very beneficial drink to have. Milk can generally make our body healthy, it can also make your skin glowing and thus can provide you with essential B vitamins that are important for hair growth.

So that's your excuse for drinking milk. Wink

why do you need an excuse to drink milk?

MuslimSister wrote:
Salaam,

I grew up hearing my gran reminding me to drink a lot or milk - cos apparently Milk keeps you white but tea makes you dark.

Wasalaam

Serious,Is that true? Or is it an old wives' tale?
Never heard that one before...

alicia0945 wrote:
Milk is a very beneficial drink to have. Milk can generally make our body healthy, it can also make your skin glowing and thus can provide you with essential B vitamins that are important for hair growth. having enough milk on a daily basis can prevent you from having hair loss or any hair problems. To me, doesn't really matter what skin color you have, whats important is the inner being of an individual.

Thank You Dawud for this AWESOME comment.

MILK VS TEA. Milk wins, hands down.

WOOT WOOT!!!

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

Tea can have milk in it.

MuslimBro wrote:
Lilly wrote:

Tea can have milk in it.

tea NEEDS milk.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

Thank You Dawud for this AWESOME comment.

WOOT WOOT!!!

Who are you thanking?

Lilly wrote:
MuslimBro wrote:
Lilly wrote:

Tea can have milk in it.

tea NEEDS milk.

Then its a draw...?

Pages