Donating organs

live donors?
dead donors?
what does Islam say about it?
what do you think?

what about blood/bone marrow donations?

From R.E lesson, main points on organ/blood donation:

Sharia law supports organ donation and transplantation as a means of saving lives.
Some scholars say its not permissible
It is not allowed/usually carried out After death; if it is the person must have explicitly said that they want their organs to be used after they die.
Organs from animals, including pigs may be used.
Muslims allow blood donation and transfusion only in cases of genuine need.
Under normal circumstances, Muslims believe that it is wrong to sell one's blood or to pay the blood donor.

I thought after you die, your organs couldn't/shouldn't be donated at all? [Islamically]

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

Sharia law supports organ donation and transplantation as a means of saving lives.
It is not allowed/usually carried out After death; if it is the person must have explicitly said that they want their organs to be used after they die.
Under normal circumstances, Muslims believe that it is wrong to sell one's blood or to pay the blood donor.

I thought after you die, your organs couldn't/shouldn't be donated at all? [Islamically]

You learnt all that in an RE?

That's a LOT more detailed than we did. We only had about 2 lessons on each religion.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:

You learnt all that in an RE?

That's a LOT more detailed than we did. We only had about 2 lessons on each religion.

hahaha! nope, these days you can do a WHOLE GCSE on RE (ive only done half of one and havent studied donations)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

if its not allowed, why would it be carried out anyway?
"only in genuine need" do you think that include going to give blood every month? or are you suppose to only give it when it is needed right there right now?
well, hamdoulillah, in england we arent paid, just imagine it becoming a whole business enterprise =/

i want to know WHY? why cant it be donated? if its going to save someone's life? (im not talking about giving your body to science, just organs to people who need it)...my logic is...Allah (sbhanahouwata'ala) is going to resurect us like we were born (specified, guys are going to be resurrected uncircumcised) that means that it doesnt matter what happened to your body. what if you had a car crash and were pretty mashed up?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

if its not allowed, why would it be carried out anyway?

i was questioning what i learnt in RE and comparing it to what i knew before.

Lills wrote:
"only in genuine need" do you think that include going to give blood every month? or are you suppose to only give it when it is needed right there right now?

That is a good Q, one that i need an answer to asap - im going with my nan to the hospital tomorrow; she's donating blood. Or this time it might just be getting her blood checked. but she does donate blood. urgh gotta be out the house by half 9.

anyway back to the topic. well when you donate blood it's going to save someone's life at sometime so what i don't really understand the difference. :S

Lills wrote:

i want to know WHY? why cant it be donated? if its going to save someone's life? (im not talking about giving your body to science, just organs to people who need it)...my logic is...Allah (sbhanahouwata'ala) is going to resurect us like we were born (specified, guys are going to be resurrected uncircumcised) that means that it doesnt matter what happened to your body. what if you had a car crash and were pretty mashed up?

I think Allah(swt) just wants you to return to him as you were or as near as that possible. I've been told that i shouldn't even throw away ny hair and nails when they are cut but should be buried. I don't know if there's any ahadith evidence for that...
Anyway, it's like ofcourse Allah(Swt) can resurrect you perfectly but still you're not going to be cremated are you?
If you were in a car accident then it would hardly be your fault...or were you asking if you can have organs donated in that case? if yes afaik the answer is yes.

And i did full course RE but it only let me concentrate on two religions, which was kinda lame. Maybe i should have picked either Judaism 0r Sikhism instead of Islam. oh well the times gone now.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Lilly wrote:
i want to know WHY? why cant it be donated?

The argument against donation is that the body belongs to God and you cannot donate what is not yours.

Another argument against donation after death is that the soul will feel whatever pain the body is put through (this is how punishment in the grave is supposed to work).

A secondary argument against donation after death is that if you don't have your organs, what will happen on the day of judgement?

I don't accept the first and the last. the second one... if due care is taken?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.