Thought of the day

Just a place where people can put down personal epiphanies or other thoughts.

They do not have to be thoughts limited to a single day though.

Something that I have been thinking about on and off. Mostly not thinking about to be honest:

"I am a truly horrible person and will be found out one day as a fraud/hypocrite or worse. So why am I not rectifying the problems instead of simply continuing how I am or consciously making things worse?"

(PS - that one day may not be immediate. or it could be. Could be today, tomorrow or even the day of judgement.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

why? Small word, Big question. Just Like the word 'big!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Why is dyslexia such a hard word to spell?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

A thought that has sometimes occurred to me - the Muslim world progressed with the advent of Islam, achieving significant innovation, progress, prosperity and then something went wrong and we are now in a weak, stagnant and bad state.

What went wrong?

From what I looked at - admittedly cursory glances and biased information, there have been three periods of decline:

First the decline in Spain. This was after the Spanish muslims requested help from the muwahidun of northern Africa and were told the Spanish Muslims were not pious enough and needed to reform themselves. Within a hundred years Spain was cleansed of Muslims.

A similar thing happened in the main Muslim lands at around the same time where after the mongol invasion, the losses were put down to Muslims losing their way. (It was actually because the western world had found a new resource to exploit and rape - the Americas, the riches of which were not shared by the Muslims.)

Then in the 19th century there were revivalist movements asking the Muslims to return to the true path and soon after the ottoman empire was decimated.

Shaykh Hamza yusuf has mentioned in his speeches how great the past Muslims were for looking inwards at themselves when things went wrong... but looking at the actual results of the inward gaze, I wonder if he was right?

Why did I leave my bottle of water without its lid on last night?

why do i put every other problem before my own?.

You wrote:
From what I looked at - admittedly cursory glances and biased information, there have been three periods of decline:

There have been numerous political currents throughout our history... much more than three - the rise of the ummayyads, their decline, the fluctuations during the abbasid periods, the crusades, the mongols, the multiple issues through spanish history, the decline of the fatimids, decline of the moghuls etc

I'm not talking about their causes - it's the causes of the decline of our current situtation I was talking about... If we do not know what caused our current situation, how are people running around trying to fix it? Surely revival can come about following a decline if one understands the causes of the decline? I'm not sure many Muslims have really thought this through...

You wrote:
First the decline in Spain. This was after the Spanish muslims requested help from the muwahidun of northern Africa and were told the Spanish Muslims were not pious enough and needed to reform themselves. Within a hundred years Spain was cleansed of Muslims.

Didn't the decline precede the request for hlep from the Muwahidun? What about the Murabitoun that preceded them?

You wrote:
A similar thing happened in the main Muslim lands at around the same time where after the mongol invasion, the losses were put down to Muslims losing their way. (It was actually because the western world had found a new resource to exploit and rape - the Americas, the riches of which were not shared by the Muslims.)

The Americas were discovered late fifteenth century - over two centuries later than the Mongol invasions... Writers like Ibn Khaldoon and Ibn Taymiyyah in their theories of decline did not make any connection to European causes...

You wrote:
Then in the 19th century there were revivalist movements asking the Muslims to return to the true path and soon after the ottoman empire was decimated.

Revivalists occurred in most centuries complaining about decline - read Muqaddamah of Ibn Khaldoon for his theory or Ibn Taymiyyah or the Turkish writer Naima or those after him. People trying to cause a revival can hardly be connected to declines or decimated empires as the problem of decline preceded them - the question is what was the cause of the decline of the current Muslim world...

You wrote:
Shaykh Hamza yusuf has mentioned in his speeches how great the past Muslims were for looking inwards at themselves when things went wrong... but looking at the actual results of the inward gaze, I wonder if he was right?

He was right as in most cases such reviews brought about solution to many problems that plagued the Muslims - the internal reviews of Umar(ra) ensured a strong government and state, likewise that of Imam Ali(ra)... The Abbassid movement felt the Ummayyads had to go to ensure a strong state and the subsequent movements across the Muslims world as well as reviews by government ensured the Ottoman Caliphate lasted into the 20th century, outlasting all those empires competing with it especially at a time of rapid change...

The question still remains I guess, what caused our decline?

Urgh, does this conversation have to take place on this thread?

s.b.f wrote:

Sorry - couldn't think of a meaningless topic like tigers... Maybe we should talk about Beckham or English football eh?

Anonymous1 wrote:

Sorry - couldn't think of a meaningless topic like tigers... Maybe we should talk about Beckham or English football eh?

theres already a "No topic" and a "football" topic.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Surprise, surprise!

Anonymous1 wrote:
s.b.f wrote:

Anon1 im suprised you commented isnt have thoughts unislamic?? in some way?? :roll:

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Anonymous1 wrote:
Surprise, surprise!

Theres nothing wrong with that

Haraaaaaaaaaaaam!!
">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Q1vHQxsss]

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Blue wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
Surprise, surprise!

Maybe... or maybe there is...

I was reading an interesting observation of the famous US writer, Noam Chomsky last night, in his book, Manufacturing Consent - an analysis of propaganda processes in democracies.

His striking observation was that the west encourage meaningless entertainment and sport to such an extent, the masses are able to undertake profound analysis of it, but are pretty much clueless when it comes to politics and their collective affairs - what their leaders do in their names around the world or the policies produced for their countries.

The same phenomena seems to be occurring with Muslims - as one poster lamented on facebook, why is it that tens of thousands of Muslims with flags waving will support the Pak cricket team but she saw none during the recent London demonstrations outside the Israeli embassy in relation to Palestine!

I guess it's the vision the prophet(saw) saw reflected in his comment that we will follow the kuffar step by step, so that were they to even enter a lizard's hole, we will attempt to do the same...

Anonymous1 wrote:
Blue wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
Surprise, surprise!

Maybe... or maybe there is...

I was reading an interesting observation of the famous US writer, Noam Chomsky last night, in his book, Manufacturing Consent - an analysis of propaganda processes in democracies.

His striking observation was that the west encourage meaningless entertainment and sport to such an extent, the masses are able to undertake profound analysis of it, but are pretty much clueless when it comes to politics and their collective affairs - what their leaders do in their names around the world or the policies produced for their countries.

The same phenomena seems to be occurring with Muslims - as one poster lamented on facebook, why is it that tens of thousands of Muslims with flags waving will support the Pak cricket team but she saw none during the recent London demonstrations outside the Israeli embassy in relation to Palestine!

I guess it's the vision the prophet(saw) saw reflected in his comment that we will follow the kuffar step by step, so that were they to even enter a lizard's hole, we will attempt to do the same...

Propaganda is all around us. You couldn't possibly avoid it. But these days it is very easy to find a way of atleast trying to work out the truth so if you want to know more about politics etc then you can. If a person thinks politics doesn't affect them or just isn't interested in it then well thats upto them.

Funzo wrote:
Haraaaaaaaaaaaam!!

Not sure if you've actually watched the video before you posted - it contains an internal contradiction. It criticises those who proclaim "haram" on others (using inappropriate styles, always doing it etc) and then goes onto do exactly that about others (internet scholars!). Hmmmmmmm maybe someone should mention it to the guy... Reminds me of discussions with atheists who need to be convinced that "denying existence of a creator" is in itself a belief...

Anonymous1 wrote:
Funzo wrote:
Haraaaaaaaaaaaam!!

Not sure if you've actually watched the video before you posted - it contains an internal contradiction. It criticises those who proclaim "haram" on others (using inappropriate styles, always doing it etc) and then goes onto do exactly that about others (internet scholars!). Hmmmmmmm maybe someone should mention it to the guy... Reminds me of discussions with atheists who need to be convinced that "denying existence of a creator" is in itself a belief...

Ahh you got me i just post random videos without watching them all over the world wide web and hope somehow they relate :roll:
He didnt call anyone haraam so im not sure you watched the video the video he posts are titled a reminder not a fatwa, he isnt issuing fatwas nor claiming to be a scholar just a reminder. I think maybe you need to take the log out of your eye before you try to take the twig out of others brother.

Anonymous1 wrote:
Funzo wrote:
Haraaaaaaaaaaaam!!

Booooooo!

You obviously have not watched it - you seem to be wearing blinkers Smile

He is cussing those who give fatwas online, who are not qualified - and he takes the piss out of them.

He says unqualified people issue fatwas saying "in my opinion..." and how wrong this is. In another video, he does exactly that about girlfriends/boyfriends, starting out with, "in my opinion..." LOL

Nice style - just a little problematic in terms of content which is not too consistent...

Anonymous1 wrote:

He is cussing those who give fatwas online, who are not qualified - and he takes the piss out of them.

He says unqualified people issue fatwas saying "in my opinion..." and how wrong this is. In another video, he does exactly that about girlfriends/boyfriends, starting out with, "in my opinion..." LOL

Nice style - just a little problematic in terms of content which is not too consistent...

So what have you learnt?

Dont watch Baba Ali again. Now sssh.

Anonymous1 wrote:

Ive watched that video and he isnt issuing a fatwa, if i say to you brother drinking alcohol is haraam is that a fatwa? No its just "reminding" you whats haraam and whats not also that particular video was on the ask baba ali section and people were asking advice he wasnt going out of his way to hand out fatwas to people on the street, and when he was referring to people basing islamic law on their opinion rather than what islam teaches i think you need to listen maybe turn the volume of your pc/laptop up actually hear what the guy is saying it might help.

s.b.f wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

So what have you learnt?

Dont watch Baba Ali again. Now sssh.

Haha

Thank you for the tafsir - I can hear what he's saying and I don't agree with your rendering of it. He is contradictory - you don't have to agree.

(NB I'm not however saying he is not amusing, nor that what he is doing is bad - I personally like his style - we need more people like him!)

Anonymous1 wrote:
Thank you for the tafsir - I can hear what he's saying and I don't agree with your rendering of it. He is contradictory - you don't have to agree.

(NB I'm not however saying he is not amusing, nor that what he is doing is bad - I personally like his style - we need more people like him!)

You can hear what im saying?? are you stalking me! :O
Well personally i dont agree with your face but i think were gonna have to agree to disagree!
Your NB seems to make you seem like a schizophrenic on one hand you like him and his style yet the videos are contradictory and remind you of atheists? hmm..

Anonymous1 wrote:

hmm i agree - with all of it Smile

Funzo wrote:
Your NB seems to make you seem like a schizophrenic on one hand you like him and his style yet the videos are contradictory and remind you of atheists? hmm..

You've not understood my posts - that's the problem - the quote of the atheist wasn't comparing him to an atheist, it was highlighting the subtle contradiction - atheists often don't see the subtle contradiction they face when they deny they don't believe in anything when in fact they believe no god exists - you should understand how an analogy is used to ensure you follow the common point of the conversation and don't get sidetracked with the irrelevant points:
"Reminds me of discussions with atheists who need to be convinced that "denying existence of a creator" is in itself a belief..."

Funzo wrote:

You've not understood my posts - that's the problem - the quote of the atheist wasn't comparing him to an atheist, it was highlighting the subtle contradiction - atheists often don't see the subtle contradiction they face when they deny they don't believe in anything when in fact they believe no god exists - you should understand how an analogy is used to ensure you follow the common point of the conversation and don't get sidetracked with the irrelevant points:
"Reminds me of discussions with atheists who need to be convinced that "denying existence of a creator" is in itself a belief..."

Anonymous1 wrote:
Funzo wrote:

You've not understood my posts - that's the problem

Im sorry must not have the mental capacity to understand them!

Pages