Question Time! (re: Prophet Isa (as))

I think it is Islam Awareness Week, this week. Wohoo!

So it has been well advertised around Uni and so forth.

There are a list of lectures and other talks that will be delivered everyday of the week.

My friend who is a Christian, out of nowhere grabbed my shoulders last week and after a very enthusiastic hello said:

'How on earth is Jesus a Muslim?'
Me: Well...
Her: He can't be. He himself said he was Jewish.
Me: He did?
Her: Yes.
Me: Well..you should come along to the lecture and find out why he's really a Muslim.
Her: You're useless.
Me: I know.

And then we sat down...and then I got a text saying:

'So because Mother Teresa completely devoted herself to God, does that mean she is a Muslim too?'

Guys...help me out here.

Tags: 

Am I allowed to confuse you further?

Prophet Isa (as) was NOT Muslim. He was ... a prophet. rightly guided, with a message of purity - not islam, but another correct religion. (in the story where Prophet Moses (as) meets Khidher (as), it is mentioned that Khidher was with a different shariah)

When he comes back, he will be Muslim as that was his (as) request.

In short, Prophet Isa (as) was rightly guided and we do not believe he proclaimed to be God - more, we believe he actively dissuaded from it.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

guess what? guess what?!

i've been asked if im a terrorist!

Lol

ok back to sbf's question problem...

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

are you? Shok

the thing is currently two terms get mixed up - Hanif and Muslim. they are mixed because hanif means on the right path/guided and Muslims are also Hanif.

However to be Muslim, you HAVE to choose it.

Before Islam, no one was Muslim because Islam had not been revealed, they were hanif.

God sent each nation a message/messengers from within, and anyone following any of these is/was hanif.

More, while the main focus of these religions was the same (one God, other laws etc), not everything was - we even read in the Qur'an when Prophet Musa (as) crossed Paths with Khidher (as), he was warned that their shariahs were different.

Where Islam is different from all these is that while all these revelations were made, they were always for a specific community and time - both acts were mentioned to them. This is why the Jews do not preach and actively convert to Judaism - the Jewish law was for them, other communities had their own. the only thing that the Jews actively preach to others is belief in one god.

Going back to the topic of Prophet Isa (ra), it is said that there is more about his life and times in Muslim scriptures etc than there is in the bible and known to the Christians.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Am I allowed to confuse you further?

No.

You wrote:

Prophet Isa (as) was NOT Muslim. He was ... a prophet. rightly guided, with a message of purity - not islam, but another correct religion. (in the story where Prophet Moses (as) meets Khidher (as), it is mentioned that Khidher was with a different shariah)

Woah..back up there.

Can we establish that he was NOT Muslim? I can tell my friend that tomorrow?

So why is the lecture called: Jesus was a Muslim/Jesus is Muslim?

What do you mean by 'another correct religion' ?

What does 'Shariah' mean in simple terms?

You wrote:

When he comes back, he will be Muslim as that was his (as) request.

Oh.

You wrote:

In short, Prophet Isa (as) was rightly guided and we do not believe he proclaimed to be God - more, we believe he actively dissuaded from it.

So what is the view that he himself claimed that he was Jewish?

And what about Abraham (saw)? I supposed before that people who completely lived for God (swt) were Muslims? They are...its just the labelling and the times that they lived in?

You wrote:

the thing is currently two terms get mixed up - Hanif and Muslim. they are mixed because hanif means on the right path/guided and Muslims are also Hanif.

However to be Muslim, you HAVE to choose it.

But being born a Muslim, doesn't mean that you have chosen the religion does it?

You wrote:

Before Islam, no one was Muslim because Islam had not been revealed, they were hanif.

Ahh...

You wrote:

God sent each nation a message/messengers from within, and anyone following any of these is/was hanif.

More, while the main focus of these religions was the same (one God, other laws etc), not everything was - we even read in the Qur'an when Prophet Musa (as) crossed Paths with Khidher (as), he was warned that their shariahs were different.

That's the second time that you have mentioned about Khider (as) and Musa (as)..what is the relevance here?

You wrote:

Where Islam is different from all these is that while all these revelations were made, they were always for a specific community and time - both acts were mentioned to them. This is why the Jews do not preach and actively convert to Judaism - the Jewish law was for them, other communities had their own. the only thing that the Jews actively preach to others is belief in one god.

Going back to the topic of Prophet Isa (ra), it is said that there is more about his life and times in Muslim scriptures etc than there is in the bible and known to the Christians.

So? What does that prove?

So does that mean Mother Teresa was a Hanif?

s.b.f wrote:
Woah..back up there.

Can we establish that he was NOT Muslim? I can tell my friend that tomorrow?

Well, no. It is more complicated than that. It depends on how you define Muslim.

He WAS rightly guided, his message WAS from God, when he returns to earth, he WILL accept the Muslim religion

We do Accept Prophet Isa (ra) was righteously guided

s.b.f wrote:
So why is the lecture called: Jesus was a Muslim/Jesus is Muslim?

What do you mean by 'another correct religion' ?

What does 'Shariah' mean in simple terms?

It is called that because we accept him as out prophet and also believe that when he returns to earth, he will accept Islam.

Shariah in this place means Gods laws.