Are you allowed to name someone "Rahman" (or "Allah")?

Something in my mind tells me that I may have read or been taught that the name "Rahman" (and also "Allah") cannot be given to a person etc without a prefix such as "abd" or other...

("abd" meaning "servant of")

... Is this the case?

if so, if you see someone called that name, what are you supposed to do? You can't really go to them and say "you've been named illegitimately" or something, can you?

Quote:
It is a good practice of Islam to name oneself or name his offspring Abd' (i.e, slave of, for boys) or Amah (i.e, female slave of) along with One of the Most Exalted Names of Allah: For example, a boy can be named Abdul-Waahid or a girl can be named Amatil-Waahid. However, we should avoid naming someone after Names that are not authenticated strongly in the texts of Quran and Sunnah: For example, Abdul-Rasheed or Abdul-Sabuur or Abdul-Mun'im.

On the other hand, naming oneself after One of the Names of Allah word for word like Raheem or Hakeem is permissible with exceptions: For example, one should never name himself Allah, or Rahman, or Ahad (i.e, The One), or Samad (i.e, One whom all creatures need and He does not need anyone), or Khallaaq (i.e, Creator Supreme), or Jabbaar (i.e, One who cannot be resisted), or Mutakabbir (i.e, Full of Pride), or Atheem (i.e, The Greatest), or Hayy (i.e, the Everliving), or Qayyum (i.e, Self-subsisting), or A'laa (i.e, Most High), or Akram (i.e, Most Noble), or Razzaaq (Sustainer Supreme), or Mannaan (i.e, The Benefactor), or Dayyaan (i.e, the Final Supreme Judge), for those Names are exclusively for Allah Most High. Similarly, other Names should be approached carefully so that one should not name himself Maalikul Mulk (i.e, Owner of All), or Rabbul 'Aalimeen (i.e, Lord of the Worlds), or Rabbul A'laa (i.e, Lord Most High), or Aalimul Ghayb (i.e, the knower of the unseen), for such exaltation belongs only to Allah, but one can be called Maalik for instance.

It is not recommended, though, to name oneself Word for Word Allah's Names unless it is accompanied by Abd' or 'Ubayd or Amah, to demonstrate clearly our belonging to Allah as we are His own hand-crafted slaves and creation. On the opposite, it is not permissible to use the prefix Abd' or Ubayd or Amah expressing servitude to other than Allah: For example, Abdul-Rasuul (i.e, the slave of the Messenger), or Abdul-Shams (i.e, the slave of the Sun), or Abdul-Hassan (i.e, the slave of a someone named Hassan).

Noor wrote:
Quote:
or Abdul-Hassan (i.e, the slave of a someone named Hassan).

Lol

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Noor wrote:
Quote:

Lol

Why is that funny? :S

Parents refused right to name son Allah

In the latest battle over what people may legally call their children, the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket) has ruled that the parents of a two-month-old boy in Skåne in southern Sweden may not call their child Allah.

According to the decision, Skatteverket does not approve “names that can give offence or be seen to cause discomfort for the bearer”. In this case, Skatteverket was “of the opinion that the name can be seen as objectionable for religious reasons.”

Skatteverket legal expert Lars Tegenfeldt told The Local that devout members of the public might take offense to certain names with highly religious connotations.

“God or Allah or the Devil is offensive to the public. Not me personally, but there are religious people who think so,” he said.

Read more @

(Story found through the aggregator pulling the story from which has an update stating that the baby's parents are Muslims.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

s.b.f wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Noor wrote:
Quote:

Lol

Why is that funny? :S

Coz.

(I can't remember ¬_¬ but i knew at the time. )

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Never explain humour. it loses its edge if you have to.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Allahs names e.g Rehman, Qadir

You must name the son Abdul Rehman or Abdul Qadir

Its importants you add Abdul at the beg

not to all names. just some. I think it is only those two.