Female Muftis Aren’t Making Headlines. What a Surprise.

By Sara Elghobashy
November 18, 2008

Whenever a story breaks that Muslim women are suffering somewhere in the world, the press foams at the mouth. Headlines with the words “unveiled” or “veiled” pop up everywhere and the world goes on to sing the song of “Muslim women are oppressed. Someone save them from their religion!” Yet, when news emerges that Muslim women are gaining some footing, there isn’t a peep about it in Western news outlets.

This is exactly what happened earlier this month when the UAE announced that next year it will be appointing its first state-sanctioned female muftis, respected interpreters of Islamic law who even have the decision-making power to issue fatwas. Six women are currently being considered for the training program, which will last several months. Women currently serve as religious advisors at the Abu Dhabi fatwa center but are confined to advising women on “women’s issues.” However, this new role will give women the opportunity to advise and issue decrees on religious matters.

Read more @

i agree the news and media dont show the good things in life but how about when two christian women are persucuted for the faith and imprisoned falsley and beaten starved and mistreated for 4 months in a muslim country that wasnt on teh bbc new either christian persacution is hidden from public view. now dont get me wrong i fully agree that muslims are persucuted aswell but when they are its a racial s**t storm the press get happy larry and start making broadcast around the globe but when a christian makes a good move and say " takes a family of persucuted muslims into his/her house protects and feeds them through the love of christ" (whilst not trying to convert them and allowing them to pray as they wish when they wish) this does not make the news. media is biased and all ways will be God bless H.