Race to help India flood stranded

A massive rescue and relief operation is under way in southern India after severe flooding left about 250 people dead and millions without homes.

More than 350 villages are still marooned after five days of heavy rain in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka states.

Rainfall has eased in the worst affected state of Karnataka but many farms have been destroyed.

The rains have come late. Only last week the government said India had been hit by the worst drought in 40 years.

Indian air force aircraft are being used to drop relief materials to the hundreds of thousands of villagers stranded by rising flood waters.

Soldiers have been trying to reach those affected in boats.

'No shelter'

Officials say billions of dollars are needed for relief and reconstruction.

Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa said 10 million people had become homeless and nearly two million houses had been destroyed across 14 districts in the state.

Thousands of livestock, which many farmers depend on to make a living, have also perished in the torrential rains that lashed the state for nearly a week.

Read more @

Tags: 

May I ask how many Islamic countries are coming to the aid of India, or any other disaster struck country for that matter?

Appeals, food, water, tents, medical supplies - anything?

anon-e-mouse wrote:
May I ask how many Islamic countries are coming to the aid of India, or any other disaster struck country for that matter?

Appeals, food, water, tents, medical supplies - anything?

Kuwait donated 100 million dollars to the USA after Hurricane Katrina.

Do you know what the population of Kuwait is ??!?!?!

Shameful.

Plus, there aren't any 'Islamic Countries' in the world. There are many Muslim-majority countries, but they tend to be governed in a 'non-Islamic' way by corrupted bureaucrats or tyrants.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I'm sorry, do I understand that according to you, there are no Islamic states?

It seems that disagrees and lists 55 countries.

Anyway, back to my original question. This thread is entitled "Race to help India ..." so, again, which Islamic countries / Muslim majority or whatever are racing to help the desperately needy in India?

Ya'qub wrote:
Plus, there aren't any 'Islamic Countries' in the world. There are many Muslim-majority countries, but they tend to be governed in a 'non-Islamic' way by corrupted bureaucrats or tyrants.

I really dislike this answer because... well... if you only go by ideals... there has only been an "islamic" country for approx 30 years since the death of the Prophet (saw).

I also do prefer using "muslim countries" as the more correct term, but separating the lands from islam and then some people saying "we want islamic rule. yes, we know the current muslim rulers are tyrannical, but true islam is what we want and will achieve." as such an answer seems to not match history.

As for who is helping who and how, it would be good to see some figures.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Ya'qub wrote:
Do you know what the population of Kuwait is ??!?!?!

Shameful.

I have not figured out what you mean by "shameful". Shameful for them for giving so little, or shameful for others for them giving so much?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.