'Last Ottoman' dies in Istanbul

Ertugrul Osman - the would-be sultan known in Turkey as the "last Ottoman" - has died in Istanbul at the age of 97.

Osman would have been sultan of the Ottoman Empire had Turkey's modern republic not been created in the 1920s.

As the last surviving grandson of Sultan Abdul-Hamid II, he would have been known as his Imperial Highness Prince Shehzade Ertugrul Osman Effendi.

Born in Istanbul in 1912, Osman spent most of his years living modestly in New York.

Read more @

Tags: 

I can't believe that on an Islamic forum, this got no comment, whereas there are over thirty responses to 'recommend me a film'.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

This is just a historic erm... not event... not fact... erm... something from the past? the final coffin in an area that finished a century ago...

PS I am quite sure 2009 is the centenary year for the "great naqba". No, not the palestinian one, but the one where oil was discovered in Iraq.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
I can't believe that on an Islamic forum, this got no comment, whereas there are over thirty responses to 'recommend me a film'.

There's been plenty of discussion on Caliphate etc.

This guy has nothing to do with them, because the sins of a father don't pass onto his children.

Why should he be blamed for their actions?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

She probably meant "use this as an opportunity to discuss the ottoman caliphate". Or not.

Either way... sins of the father? Not his fault even that oil was discovered in Iraq.

The ottomans had become weak, and needed some alliances to prop them up. The only ones willing to create one were the Germans.

Unfortunately for them, while the Germans were an up and coming super power, they were also surrounded by existing super powers around them who would do anything to prevent its rise (and their demise).

There were many sins, and even horrendous acts, but the fall of the Ottomans may have been inevitable - every empire that has risen has fell.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
She probably meant "use this as an opportunity to discuss the ottoman caliphate". Or not.

Either way... sins of the father? Not his fault even that oil was discovered in Iraq.

The ottomans had become weak, and needed some alliances to prop them up. The only ones willing to create one were the Germans.

Unfortunately for them, while the Germans were an up and coming super power, they were also surrounded by existing super powers around them who would do anything to prevent its rise (and their demise).

There were many sins, and even horrendous acts, but the fall of the Ottomans may have been inevitable - every empire that has risen has fell.

I wasn't talking about the fact that it collapsed. It was the way they acted while they were powerful which was so horrendous/embarrassing. (embarrassing because they were supposed to be the leaders of the Muslims apparently.)

You wrote:

Yes she was. Sort of.

I don't know... it just shocks me because i would've thought it a significant event. I mean the last of the ottomans... they were a big part of Islamic history.

I just would've expected it to have sparked more discussion, that's all.

Negative, or positive... No one seems to care. I find that vaguely irritating.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

wednesday wrote:
I know nothing and I'm assuming there are others who don't either.

Biggrin

wednesday wrote:

The Sultanate of Women (Turkish: Kadınlar Saltanatı) was the near 130-year period during the 16th and 17th centuries when the women of the Imperial Harem of the Ottoman Empire exerted extraordinary political influence. Many of the Sultans during this time were minors and it was their mothers, leaders of the Harem, who effectively ruled the Empire.

And they used to poison each other to gain more influence their.

I learned of one Ottoman Sultan who got paranoid that some of his concubines were plotting against him so he ordered that the whole harem (400-odd women) to be killed.

'Leader of the Ummah'... horrible.

Ya'qub wrote:

They rarely claimed that title - the first instance being when they were signing a treaty with the russians after having lost much land where Muslims were living - they used the title in order to claim erm... whatever you call it... being able to be their voice or something. Otherwise, they mostly went by other titles.

You wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

They rarely claimed that title - the first instance being when they were signing a treaty...they used the title in order to claim erm... whatever you call it... being able to be their voice or something.

Class representation? Like when the US Supreme Court gave the author's guild class representation of all authors worldwide so that they could sell publishing rights to Google?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

the household - I would assume it is from the word haraam - as in forbidden for strange men to enter.

wednesday wrote:
what's a Harem? :oops:

A prison for hundreds of slave women who are 'available' to the king/princes whenever they feel like it.

wednesday wrote:
OK That's it! The Ottomans are no longer interesting.
That simple is it?[/quote]

wednesday wrote:
Really? Did they really do that to women? Like they own them or something? woah...

The feminist in you strikes again.

(well, not "again", but it sounds lamer without that word and I am playing it for headlines...)

The Harem was not black and white and as an institution that lasted centuries, it has many roles which varied through the ages.

Yes it housed concubines - which were allowed at the time since it was not the world of today where slavery is banned - but it also housed the wives and sisters and daughters and mothers of the ... royal household.

More, due to the unique way in which the Ottoman succession worked, it was was one of the few institutions that had continuity and as such held wisdom, helped craft policy and also even rule.

Yes, there were things not acceptable to today - or even yesterday or at that time as the harem was guarded by slaves who were castrated to make sure there could be no improper contact or illicit relationships.

So, yes it had its flaws, but it also had its uses and painting it black and white is IMO not IMO generally a good idea - unless you are in an argument where you want to win/get your point across.

wednesday wrote:
You wrote:
wednesday wrote:
OK That's it! The Ottomans are no longer interesting.

That simple is it?

well, its best if I don't hear about women being treated as a property and a rather fragile piece of decoration.

Mind the sarcasm.

We can then talk about men being treated as property instead? Slavery was a fact of the time and it cannot be denied.

No form of slavery is acceptable today, so nothing related to such things for any place that had any slavery at the time can be accepted by today's standards.

However a curious thing about the Muslim lands is that over time, it was time and time again the slaves that came to power. Power always transferred downwards.

wednesday wrote:
Sexism exist even within the slave worlds.

Like it has existed elsewhere too. That is another fact.

Some (most - I have no idea how the numbers worked) were.

Others were not and were simply part of the family - wives, mothers, daughters.

EDIT - the Ottomans also did ban slavery at some point, so it would be interesting to know if there were still concubines past that point or if it became just the normal household.

There are more slaves in the world today than at the height of colonialism in the Americas.

There are? How come we never hear of them? where? is it simply a function of the population explosion?