Saudi Child Bride Turned Back Over to 80-Year-Old Husband

A Saudi Arabian father forced his 10-year-old daughter to return to her 80-year-old husband Sunday, after she was found hiding at the home of her aunt for 10 days, Arab News reported.

The young girl's husband, who denies he is 80 despite family claims, accused the aunt of violating the terms of his marriage, allowed by Sharia Law.

"My marriage is not against Sharia. It included the elements of acceptance and response by the father of the bride,” he told a local newspaper...

Read more @ . Also reported at , and a whole lot more.

Tags: 

Who said that Saudi is not backwards?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Weren't forced marriages outlawed in Saudi Arabia in 2007? So even under Saudi law, this shouldn't happen

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

You are not marrying the father dumbo!

the bride is the one who makes the choice in the end. not her father.and the prophet (saw)forbade forced marriages. just coz the Ka'ba is in saudi doesn't mean they are all good muslims, sadly.

yes it does obviously, but then think about it, ok marry the girl, but why send her to live with him at age 10? my younger sister is nearly 10, would she even know what marriage is at that age? what it entails.
i don't know, i'm just voiceing my opinion. i think its wrong

Yes it does - however the "marriage" at that point is more like an engagement - the girl stays with her own parents and there are no conjugal relations or other stuff allowed.

Then when the person is old enough (or earlier) she has to decide yay or nay - for the actual marriage parental consent is never enough.

If she was hiding at her aunt's the answer was not only a clear "nay", but the first principle (of it not being a real marriage yet) was also abandoned.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

aysha ellen wrote:
i think its wrong

Agreed.

Culture does not HAVE to be bad. Especially from Muslim locales, the culture is supposed to be good, as the bad stuff is supposed to be eliminated...

ok Wednesday you have a point but this is here and now. why would the kid run away to her aunts house? obviously she didn't like him, that should be enough. and also if you think about it, that kid is going to most probably going to be a widow before she's 25 years old. theres culture, then theres reality.

wednesday wrote:
She's 10!

If she was mature enough to make her own decisions, then running away isn't a wise one.

Or a very wise one depending on the options available to her.

wednesday wrote:
How old was Prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) Youngest wife?

19?

You wrote:
wednesday wrote:
How old was Prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) Youngest wife?

19?

she wasnt 19. she was 6 when she got married and she started living with the prophet SAW when she was 9

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

Sometimes it seems like these stories are hoaxes like the one about the Ayatollah and rape.

Except they're not; the world is actually full of horrible old men! Being Muslim doesn't cure you from being a pervert.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

idi wrote:
You wrote:
wednesday wrote:

19?

she wasnt 19. she was 6 when she got married and she started living with the prophet SAW when she was 9

I will stick with my answer of 19.

I believe that Aisha was 21 when she married Prophet Mohammed.

Salaam. The point regarding that the prophet's (may peace and blessings be upon him) wife (may allah be pleased with her) was at the age of over 13 when she got married. Which is even in these days by both western and eastern typical societies classed as the age of puberty and maturity. I have heard this off a Q and A session by a very educated scholar. He had also raised the point that the prophet never married any of his wives for many of the reasons that marriage is now done. Which include sexual desires, wealth, status or any other reason that an individual would benefit. But it was because of their betterness. If you look into the prophets sunnah. I would recommend the book Gardens of sunnah. It says in that book that Hazarat Aisha may allah be pleased with her said that 'she never saw the private parts of the holy prophet.' Suhanallah. Dear sisters and bros compare this to our society. If the prophet married hazarat aisha for sexual purposes, how could aisha make this point.

Ofcourse allah is all knowing. May allah correct me if i am wrong and forgive me if any wrong information is given. Please reply if i have given any wrong information.
Please Please Please can you all do dua that I get a call to madina paak from the holy prophet as my heart is craving. Ameen

Allah hafiz

May allah forgive me. wrote:
...He had also raised the point that the prophet never married any of his wives for many of the reasons that marriage is now done...

That kind of invalidated that scholars whole argument in my view.