Should CHRISTIANITY play a bigger role in British life?

Yes
25% (7 votes)
No
46% (13 votes)
Maybe
14% (4 votes)
I am at one with the world
14% (4 votes)
Total votes: 28

Poll is to do with this article:

79 per cent of Muslims say Christianity should have strong role in Britain

People were asked to agree or disagree with the statement "Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values".

The proportion of Muslims who agreed (79 per cent) was higher than for Christians themselves (70 per cent).

The ComRes poll for the BBC appeared to contradict calls by some politicians to remove faith from the public arena.

Hindus (74 per cent) also gave more support than Christians to a strong role in public life for the UK's traditional, Christian religious values.

The results suggested that people of different religions would rather there is some kind of faith-based framework to life in Britain, even if it is not based on their own religion...

read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Is the "I am at one with the world" option the same as "I literally have NO opinion on this" or more of a Buddhist thing?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

That and may be are both no opinions. unless you want to take them as an opinion. or a buddhist thing.

I guess the above paragraphs means "I have no idea."

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
That and may be are both no opinions. unless you want to take them as an opinion. or a buddhist thing.

I guess the above paragraphs means "I have no idea."

Nope. It means I don't care. One bit.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I think pluralism should have arole in Britain, if that means some priests being active then I've got no objection to that.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I think all those Muslims that voted FOR more Christian morality were just being sycophantic to be quite honest.

i don't know about the Hindus etc but there's nothing so special about Christian doctrines that would make me want to be dictated by the pope/bishops/priests-which also opens up another question....Christianity has a lot of denominations within it... with a huge spectrum of difference in terms of morality and ways to live etc for example Catholicism is a lot different to protestantism.

i don't think we NEED Christianity to play a bigger role, what's the point? Seems a silly question to me.

Might i add, the 'Crusades' were a Christian thing? Don't 'hate' Christians because of that or anything, it just expresses quite clearly exactly how different different interpretations can be.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

I have heard/read that the crusades played a bigger part on the western psyche than the Muslim psyche - for the west it was where they lost their christian heartlands. For Muslims it was just another (albeit dificult ) victory in a long string of victories.

I think the thought process may be its better to believe in God than no God - even if the whole belief you disagree with. That can be fixed later.

The danger of that is many will analyse Christianity, find it wanting and then make the assumption that all faiths, religions are the same.

To be honest, I find atheists a lot more intolerant than Christians. Christians are People of the Book, therefore, they are much closer to us in faith.

"A truth that is told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent."
-William Blake

Some atheists/agnostics are fairly tolerant, if you put the right arguemtn to them, then you'll see the difference.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Assallamu Allaikum,

There is little difference in the basic ethos of Catholicism and Protestantism aside from historical ill will, the main changes were human in their creation. The doctrines do not have to be 'special' to have a resounding effect on peopls lives. People of all religions are bought up to understand there religion in the way that there teachers, be that parents clergy or other, teach them.

I think that the point was that to have an effective 'religious' influence, in a society that seems to have less and less 'religious' influence is better than to not have any input at all.

Wassallam.

But will this not force people to lump all faiths/religions into one category and then if they find something wanting in another, ignore looking any further (to Islam)?

If Christianity were to play a greater role in society then that should translate into, among other things:
- greater care and comfort for refugees and asylum seekers,
- shorter pub opening hours and a more responsible attitude towards alcohol,
- no gov efforts to encourage gambling,
- people taking seriously

That would be a good thing.

Wait a minute...

That Telegraph story opens with:

People were asked to agree or disagree with the statement "Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values".

Who says "UK religious values" are the same as "Christian" values?

I had assumed that there would be mkore to it than just that statement.

You wrote:
I had assumed that there would be mkore to it than just that statement.

That was the statement to which 79% of Muslims said yes.

But look how bluntly the makes that leap:

The poll, which questioned 1,045 people, found that 63 per cent of them thought that the law should respect and be influenced by Britain’s traditional religious values – in other words, Christianity.

But I can't find the BBC report on this. Do you have a link for that?

Can't seem to find it (if there was one).

EDIT - Found it:

and the

I've found the raw data from the survey. How boring am I?

People were asked to agree or disagree with the following four statements:
- The media reports my religion fairly and accurately
- The media reports other religions fairly and accurately
- Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values
- Religion has an important role to play in public life

Christianity isn't mentioned in any of them.

Considering how I also managed to find the same data (but in a different place), I will say that you are daring and adventurous for finding it.

Saying that, if someone asked me about "UK religious values", Christianity would probably play a part in what I assume (but I would probably rank athiesm much higher...)

As if you two aren't the same person

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
As if you two aren't the same person

Oh no!

She's onto us... I mean me... err, you. Err... :?

Are You me or am I You?

Omrow too.

His comments are BLATANTLY just put there to spice things up when they get boring Blum 3

Beast wrote:
- no gov efforts to encourage gambling

This could be a double edged sword as many UK organisations, charities accept lottery funding which I assume is linked to the national lottery for its money?

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Omrow too.

His comments are BLATANTLY just put there to spice things up when they get boring Blum 3

It was weird the way he came back only after I had left and when I have come back he has reduced his commenting/posting...

You wrote:
Beast wrote:
- no gov efforts to encourage gambling

This could be a double edged sword as many UK organisations, charities accept lottery funding which I assume is linked to the national lottery for its money?

That's a good point. But at the very least Christian values would encourage greater regulation of non-state gambling and greater tax on any that continues to operate.

You wrote:
Considering how I also managed to find the same data (but in a different place), I will say that you are daring and adventurous for finding it.

Saying that, if someone asked me about "UK religious values", Christianity would probably play a part in what I assume (but I would probably rank athiesm much higher...)

If it's OK, I'm going to continue riding this horse.

The question asks about "UK" religious values. People could have been asked about "Christian" religious values but they weren't. "UK" suggests a geographical categorisation. I would categorise Muslim and Jewish religious values as being part of "UK" religious values in that they are widely practised in and propagated in the UK.

Moreover, the survey was about peoples' views on religion in general - not the Christian religion.

I will have to cede the point that the question was vagfue at best and not specific to christianity.

If we (wrongly?) assume that people read the question differently and focussed on their own religion as part of it, then it would suggest that 21% of Muslims may not want Islam to play a role in (Muslim) British life? (Am I just reaching to see this?)

You wrote:
I will have to cede the point that the question was vagfue at best and not specific to christianity.

If we (wrongly?) assume that people read the question differently and focussed on their own religion as part of it, then it would suggest that 21% of Muslims may not want Islam to play a role in (Muslim) British life? (Am I just reaching to see this?)

It's perfectly plausible that 21% of Muslims wouldn't want religion, even if it is their own religion, to play a part in public life, let alone in the formulation of laws.

For one thing, brining religion into politics leaves it open to abuse. Another reason for a Muslim to not want religion in public may be because they don't want their religion to be imposing on other religions. Moreover, they may want to maintain the separation between church and state.

It's not totally irrational.

Yeah, I read an article on Pakistan the other day titled "Survival of the purest" and it shows how it can become an arms race to the top.

I was not thinking of it having any grounding in law etc as that would be a massive thing indeed.

As for people versed in practice of Islamic law. I am certain that a judge has to have years of learning, practice before being granted that position, but for Muslims, its normally lay people (like me) who shout loud, or if they have a clue, are generally edicated to a batchelors/masters standard with only a few being of a higher (high enough) calibre.

Both, neither, former, latter.

It has been decided that the question is a little vague.

Current law in the UK does have Christian Heritage (along wiht Muslim heritage as apparently the Muslim systems of the time were studied before the UK system was created).

POr the question could more be about community life and their focus and have nothing to do with laws and regulations.

The points I'm making relate to the following statements:

Our laws should respect and be influenced by UK religious values.

Religion has an important role to play in public life.

I think "UK religious values" incorporates Muslim and Jewish values and not just Christian values.

I think it is understandable if some Muslims don't want religious values to play a role in public life.

wednesday wrote:

CAn Religion (Christianity) replace current Politics without any hiccups?

Was Christianity the law in the past? And what was the outcome?

Pages