Are British Muslims Schizophrenic and lacking in confidence?

Yes
33% (11 votes)
Maybe
6% (2 votes)
Maybe not
6% (2 votes)
No
27% (9 votes)
Where's my Jaffa cake?
27% (9 votes)
Total votes: 33

assalamu alaikum,

what do you mean by this.....?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Salaams,

A few months ago someone mentioned to me that in his opinion British Muslims (especially in the UK) lack on confidence when it comes to the real world (not talking about faith here) and life in general and that that was a cause for many of the "illnesses" that are present in the Muslim community.

Since he mentioned that, I seem to be noticing that same thing in people (but it may just be me looking for something that is not there) and thought I would ask others if they see the same thing. Not a poll for an instant answer - take your time and observe those around you. Is this "observation" true or not?

And since there are so many directions that we are pulled in (which may be unique to British Muslims who have their origins in the Indian subcontinent), trying to make things "fit" makes us schizophrenics.

So, yeah, I just added schizophrenia to the whole mix.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

One could be schizophrenic and have too much confidence.... no?

What does schizophrenic mean? Fool :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

(but I was not talking literally - more on a metaphorical level, closer to ).

@ Muslim Bro - is that possible?

I should have separated the questions, but I do think they are linked (and am also lazy).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

A few months ago someone mentioned to me that in his opinion British Muslims (especially in the UK) lack on confidence when it comes to the real world (not talking about faith here) and life in general and that that was a cause for many of the "illnesses" that are present in the Muslim community.

Can you explain that a bit more?

what do you mean when it comes to the real world? what situations are you talking about?

and what do you mean by "illnesses"?

By Illnesses, I mean social disorders etc - How almost every 17 year old wants to be called Tony Montana and aspires to live up the the ghetto dream. (and I know that this is a lame example.)

You wrote:
By Illnesses, I mean social disorders etc - How almost every 17 year old wants to be called Tony Montana and aspires to live up the the ghetto dream. (and I know that this is a lame example.)

Okay, i probably dont know what Im talking about here, but why is this narrowed down to just Muslims?

Because we have a unique set of circumstances?

(and technically it is narrowed down to Muslims with origins on the Indian subcontinent...)

If you need to ask the questions, it generally means that you disagree with the statement...

I think guys are "schizophrenic" with an identity crisis, same could be said for Muslims in some respects, most people have some sort of alter ego, for example being calm and happy for in front of some, but angry and resentful in front of another.
But I would say at the student level Muslims are generally proud to be Muslims and British at the same time.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

We could probably debate till the cows come home whether muslims have low self-worth compared to their (non-muslim) counterparts. Having said that, however, I understand that it can be hard for Muslims in today's society where they are endlessly questioned about their faith and are expected to continually justify their existence as Muslims. It can make even the brightest of sparks question their self-worth. :? Social acceptance and approval of others (particularly your peers) is particularly important for our young folk, so disapproval of your being (as a Muslim) in society will inevitably leave you feeling more vulnerable to negative thoughts and feelings. The next obvious step that follows are negative actions (i.e. becoming social outcasts, criminality etc).

I work in a professional environment and find that I have to prove myself to every second person that I am at the very least, very capable to do my job. Honestly an uphill battle. There is a lot of racism about - how much of this is down to islamophobia I havent a clue, but going from the amount of times that my headscarf has been mentioned, or my marital status, (top 2 questions put to me) I believe I may have due reason to be aggrieved sometimes. (Forgive me for my ranting, and probably going off topic lol!). But let me say this: alhamdulilahi ala kulli haal! Allah aza waj'al is the best of Planners.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Good on you, Amal! Smile

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi