Buff enough for Bollywood

Buff enough for Bollywood

With one eye on muscle-bound Bollywood megastars, young Asian men are increasingly hitting the gym in pursuit of the body beautiful.

Deepak Harbias from Hounslow is typical of the trend.

"I come to the gym about five times a week, I don't have any fast food any more. I'm taking protein shakes and protein bars," he says.

"After I left college I was at home for 10 months and put on weight. I knew I had to do something."

Bulking up

One of the UK's biggest suppliers of training supplements, Essex based Bulk Supplements Direct, says it is seeing a massive rise in the number of Asian men taking them up.

From January 2008 to December 2008 the company saw an average 21% increase in business month on month from the Asian community, owner Kunel Patel says.

And after a very busy start to 2009 he expects that to rise even further...

How do we know that's down to Bollywood, aren't white British men doing exactly the same thing?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Lol

We're living in a visual culture now
where everyone feels the pressure to look good
and media is partly to blame for that

agree

Another problem with the media is taking ownership of issues.

Well, that is not a problem of the media at all, but if we can blame it for all other ills of the world, why not that too?

Is it too hard to admit that you want to look good and you want others to think you look good? That has very little to do with the media. All it does is provide you with examples, examples that are based on existing social norms but just more in-your-face.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Did I come off a bit strong in the last post?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Did I come off a bit strong in the last post?

No.

1R4M said that the media are partly to blame.

You wrote:

Is it too hard to admit that you want to look good and you want others to think you look good? That has very little to do with the media. All it does is provide you with examples, examples that are based on existing social norms but just more in-your-face.

Well. This is the situation I was thinking in my head. In school ages ago, we watched a video of anorexic girls in a clinic/house they stayed in until they regained the normal weight. I dont understand anorexia. But I watched how these girls really didnt like eating at all. One thing they did mention was that they know they are upsetting the people around them, but they find the process of eating difficult and that the media doesn't help.

sbf wrote:
You wrote:

Well. This is the situation I was thinking in my head. In school ages ago, we watched a video of anorexic girls in a clinic/house they stayed in until they regained the normal weight. I dont understand anorexia. But I watched how these girls really didnt like eating at all. One thing they did mention was that they know they are upsetting the people around them, but they find the process of eating difficult and that the media doesn't help.

cheers!

media is PARTLY to blame
but one cannot deny
advertising, movies, posters, billboards, magazine
all this is just everywhere now
I doubt there were cases of anorexia/bulimia or women suffering with a complex over how they look about 50-60 yrs ago
true
ppl always have some sort of complex over how they look
but it seems to have gotten worse since...I'm guessing the 70s n beyond, maybe slightly later

1R4M wrote:
I doubt there were cases of anorexia/bulimia or women suffering with a complex over how they look about 50-60 yrs ago

If there were, they would not have been "diagnosed" with such terms ans simply told to get over it.

The media plays to the mindset. it does not on its own conjure up an image of "perfection".

Besides I doubt there is any media outlet that encourages bulimia/anorexia. That is what people do on their own.

But yes the unattainable image can cause problems. I doubt though that the current set of problems are any worse than problems faced with previous generations. Dealing with image is only an issue because pother things such as stability, security, food education and other things are being provided for.