Kanoute facing Palestine shirt fine

Kanoute facing Palestine shirt fine

Freddie KanouteSevilla striker Frederic Kanoute is facing a fine from the Spanish football federation for revealing a T-shirt expressing support for Palestine during a match.

Kanoute lifted his Sevilla shirt over his head after scoring in the team's 2-1 Copa del Rey win over Deportivo La Coruna on Wednesday to display a black T-shirt on which the word "Palestine'' was printed in several languages.

The federation's Competition Committee is expected to study the incident on Friday.

Yellow card

Kanoute, who was born in France but plays internationally for Mali, is a practicing Muslim.

Kanoute's action, which has been interpreted as a response to Israel's recent attacks on Gaza that have killed nearly 700 people, was met with a yellow card from referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz...

Read more @ .

Being the man he is, one of great integrity, i think he'll play the game. He is worth far more to Sevilla than any stifling of his free speech, in effect oppression, they are offering him. BIG UP KANOUTE - AN INSPIRATION FOR ALL! Masha'Allah he also helped the local people of Sevilla sustain a Mosque, it is an act like that what gives me hope he wont bow down to the power that is, his employer.

A yellow card is mandatory for lifting or taking off the shirt during a game throughout europe i believe, it is the potential fine that is a worry. The fact that the Spanish FA remained loyal with Jose Aragones after his 'monkey' jibe towards Thierry Henry, it will be interesting if they decide to fine Kanoute.