Daughters providing personal care to their elderly father

Salaam,
I thought this deserved its own thread and its a good question as well.

love to live but living to die wrote:

Question: is it halal for a daughter to carry out personal care (u know what i mean) on her old and feeble father (who can't do it himself, and who doesn't want an outsider doing it and who doenst have a son or a wife)?

As far as im aware you not suppose to look at another persons private bits. That includes a women looking at another women, husband looking at his wife or vice versa a wife looking at the husband. I think its considered makroo but I could be wrong. Also when someone dies they put a sheet over that person and stick their hand under the sheet to wash the persons body (so I have been told).

By forcing the father to have an outside person to care for him that would make him unhappy and this goes against the rule of respecting your parents. I dont think there would be anything wrong with the daughter looking after her elderly father as long as she closed her eyes when it came to bath time.

I know someone who was a carer for their ill father. The father had a wife and 4 sons but they refused to take care of him so his daughter did it.

JazakAllah

He should really get a professional carer.
Its not a simply case of her just shutting her eyes.

Back in BLACK

Naz wrote:
Salaam,
I thought this deserved its own thread and its a good question as well.

love to live but living to die wrote:

Question: is it halal for a daughter to carry out personal care (u know what i mean) on her old and feeble father (who can't do it himself, and who doesn't want an outsider doing it and who doenst have a son or a wife)?

As far as im aware you not suppose to look at another persons private bits. That includes a women looking at another women, husband looking at his wife or vice versa a wife looking at the husband. I think its considered makroo but I could be wrong. Also when someone dies they put a sheet over that person and stick their hand under the sheet to wash the persons body (so I have been told).

By forcing the father to have an outside person to care for him that would make him unhappy and this goes against the rule of respecting your parents. I dont think there would be anything wrong with the daughter looking after her elderly father as long as she closed her eyes when it came to bath time.

I know someone who was a carer for their ill father. The father had a wife and 4 sons but they refused to take care of him so his daughter did it.

JazakAllah

Well
she IS his daughter
so it wont be THAT sinful for her to look at him
obviously out of respect n all that she weont look
cos it IS embarrassing

n shame on those ppl that refused to look after that man

I had to do this for my grandad. It is awkward, but not the end of the world. He would NEVER have been comfortable with a woman doing it, even if it was my mum (his daughter). But that's more of a generation/culture thing. I have no idea whether its halal or not.

Just remember that actions are judged on intentions.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
I had to do this for my grandad. It is awkward, but not the end of the world. He would NEVER have been comfortable with a woman doing it, even if it was my mum (his daughter). But that's more of a generation/culture thing. I have no idea whether its halal or not.

Thats exactly why this girl i know cared for her father. If she had got outside help the Pakistani community would have called her all sorts of names. This girls father was paralysed from the waist down as a result of having a heart attack.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Shouldn't care what others think.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

Shouldnt... but it cant be helped.
You need to look at the BIGGER picture.

Back in BLACK

Naz wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Thats exactly why this girl i know cared for her father. If she had got outside help the Pakistani community would have called her all sorts of names. This girls father was paralysed from the waist down as a result of having a heart attack.

Well my grandad's generation is different from your friend's dad's and so is his culture. He grew up in 1930's London, things like modesty and privacy were far more important than they are to today's Brits.

What names would they call her? 'getting-help-for-invalid-father'. I really don't understand.

Ya'qub wrote:
Naz wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Well my grandad's generation is different from your friend's dad's and so is his culture. He grew up in 1930's London, things like modesty and privacy were far more important than they are to today's Brits. I think Pakistanis hold those things quite highly. On the whole I think this is a good thing, although there are times when it makes things more difficult.

What names would they call her? 'getting-help-for-invalid-father'. I really don't understand.

You wrote:

I agree BUT when you live in an Asian community your always gonna get ppl judging you and im guessing that most would just give up then tell the gossiping aunties to get a life. Pakistani housewives are the culprits, they have waaay to much time on their hands.

Ya'qub wrote:
Naz wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Well my grandad's generation is different from your friend's dad's and so is his culture. He grew up in 1930's London, things like modesty and privacy were far more important than they are to today's Brits.

If she had gotten outside help ppl would have been staring and gossiping about her when she walked down the street. You would get ppl making really cheap nasty digs like "oh my God that girl owt to be ashamed of herself getting someone to look after her dad." "What kind of daughter is she." "You have to feel sorry for the dad to be cursed with a daughter like her." Things like that. Its disgusting i tell your.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy