THE QURAN DOCUMENTARY

salaam

Did anyone watch this documentary yesterday?

was intertsing....

share your views...

wasalaam

Yeah, i thought at first I missed it as it was finishing but then found Channel 4 +1.

I watched it, and to me it felt like the program was basically having a go at parts of the Qur'an. Thats how I felt anyway. Especially when they had one German dude or whatever he was translating arabic words and putting a different meaning to them.

Another example would be the part where they questioned whether or not a Muslim woman has to wear hijab or not, the whole "does the hair need to be covered" bit. From reading the Qur'an myself I know that it says that the whole body except the face and hands should be covered. It seemed like they wanted clear cut "you MUST cover you hair!" written in the Qur'an, what are your views on this bit ppl?????

Oh and how about the nightclub in Syria or Egypt wherever it was, "not a veil in sight", and? Not all Muslims in the world are gonna be 100% practising, just like other religions.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

Yeah, it was great. Normally documentaries like that try to put down Islam but this one was actually elevating it and answering the common comments made by kufaar concerning the qura'an and there misinterpretations. Fantastic! But you right, that woman was just trying to avoid the ruling of wearing the hijab, its clearly stated in the qura'n and hadith. But I think the scholars and shieks on it made very good points and gave accurate answers.

Behold...Me!

Sumaiya wrote:
Yeah, it was great. Normally documentaries like that try to put down Islam but this one was actually elevating it and answering the common comments made by kufaar concerning the qura'an and there misinterpretations. Fantastic! But you right, that woman was just trying to avoid the ruling of wearing the hijab, its clearly stated in the qura'n and hadith. But I think the scholars and shieks on it made very good points and gave accurate answers.

Did we watch the same documentary as each other?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Channels 4 lied many things about Shia Muslims as well as about Sunni Muslims. But thanks to Iranian religious ulema who put things right in very short space of time given to them. Kaafirs always lies when it comes to Muslims. They can't state facts.

They kept asking one Muslim man in Oxford about Islam as if he is an Alim accepted by Muslims. The brother was not one of the religious Ulema. Channel 4 was deceptive. It should have asked direct questions to religious figures of the Muslims world in both Egypt and in Iran. Why ask a guy in Oxford. What does he know about Quran.

Only Ayatollahs, the Signs of God, can can teach Muslims what exactly words of Allah means in the holy Quran.

But cheat at Channel 4 were to scared to talk about the Quran and its teaching directly to its official interpreters. They rather went and asked women who did not even cover themselves. It was totally a biased and prejuidice program.

Ya Ali Madaad.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

Funzo wrote:
Did we watch the same documentary as each other?

That's what I was thinking too.

It certainly wasn't "great".

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

i believe this was a biased documentary which tried to put down and question the beliefs of Muslims. End of the day it portrayed to much negativity the Quran has guided so many Muslims and am sure the makers of the documentary could have spoke to more people who had been positiveley affecteed by reading the Quran. Also there are many scientific proofs of the Quran which would have been mentioned. all they showed was backward Cultural customs which had nothing to do with Islam . This gave a false impression of Islam and made it look brutal and barbaric.

Amira wrote:
Quite happy to proof-read Smile Just send it to that's the revival address :-s

Revival email addresses end in "@therevival.co.uk". You currently don't seem to have one (I suspect that since you have some sort of inkling about revial email addresses, one is being set up for you?)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

hi everyone i watched the documentary and found it quite interesting. it was good to see different sects of islam across the world and their cultures and customs that i was previously unaware of. i was glad that there wasnt too much emphasis on terrorism and suicide etc that is so often and wrongly linked with muslims. i was particularly proud of being part of the muslim world where algebra and the circumference of the world had been invented and discovered while the western european world where i live in was still contemplating the flat surface. the muslim intellect can stretch far and wide and some times i feel it is such a shame that it has not prevaled in the 21st century. may be this is the perfect opportunity for all muslims to unite and rediscover the true power of love in islam and the quran.

I was disgusted at the way that woman tried to explain the wife beating verse
She did not explain it properly, n basically condoned beating women
They asked her deliberately in order to get a biased opinion; they should hav asked a more learned scholar such as tariq ramadan or that british imam, cant remember his name

as for the headscarf issue, that verse can be ambiguous
but as some scholars say, it's what your heart says that matters, all we can do is try n follow our religion to the best of our ability

love to live but living to die wrote:
I would disagree with Malik abt most of the things... i didn't think it was biased infact it wasn't biased at all... The documentary covered a diverse range of views to be honest... all the main and outstanding divisions btween Muslims.

em... i've prepared a reply... but before i post it, i want some1 to proof read it... don't want to hurt any1! ... who's gna volunteer?? em its long but not that long... approx 1 and a half page... so ... let me kno...:)

It wasnt BIASED? they gave sufism two minutes and only showed the whirling dervishes thats like presenting islam and only showing the terrorists, they didnt go in to detail as why the whirling dervishes do what they do and the woman who wasnt wearing a headscarf was given like 10 minutes on interview and the woman who said "you can understand what im saying right now cant you? its not about the actions of the face its the emotions behind it" or something on those lines but gave a good reply she only got to say that sentence. It was A JOKE!

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

You wrote:
Amira wrote:
Quite happy to proof-read Smile Just send it to that's the revival address :-s

Revival email addresses end in "@therevival.co.uk". You currently don't seem to have one (I suspect that since you have some sort of inkling about revial email addresses, one is being set up for you?)

Maybe Smile I just joined the team so am assuming I should get an email address....

im happy to proofread anything

send me a personal message n ill give u my email address

Amira wrote:
Maybe Smile I just joined the team so am assuming I should get an email address....

There are people who don't want one, so the rule of the thumb is that you have to ask. There is a topic on the magazine forum where you can as for more... or ask mayoub or 'Ed.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Well excuse me MR. Malik and Allahuakbar I think you'll find that we did watch the same programme as I seem to be able to relate to your comments, and I think you'll find that it was 'great' IN MY OPINION, TO WHICH IM SURE IM ENTITLED. Also, thank you 'Love to live'.

Behold...Me!

I am always interested in religion and its history, I found some of the discussions and scenes very disturbing especially circumcision of young girls and the subjugation of women in this religion. This is not what God wants how can any of these things be done in his name.

I know I felt like screaming at the TV (but I didn't, my dad was in the room), the poor girl, how could her parents do some thing like that, and she only looked about ten!

Behold...Me!

way to much cutting and pasting going on for my liking. The only good bit was where that woman (i think she was called Hannah) was interviewed about her niqaab. A lot of non Muslims make the assumption that Muslim men force their wives to wear the niqaab and this isnt always the case. They could have picked better scholars.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

anyone fancy writing a review of this documentary for the next issue of The Revival?

bare in mind ppl will read this in ramadan

be honest, critical...make it balanced

also question ppl if they read the quran, with meaning, any understanding from scholars, what does it mena to us...a book we read parrot fashion every ramadan or a book that guides our lives?

anyone?

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
anyone fancy writing a review of this documentary for the next issue of The Revival?

also question ppl if they read the quran, with meaning, any understanding from scholars, what does it mena to us...a book we read parrot fashion every ramadan or a book that guides our lives?

anyone?

YEP!!!!!
I wud LOVE to review it for u ed
I hav a lot to say about it!!!

1R4M wrote:
TheRevivalEditor wrote:

anyone?

YEP!!!!!
I wud LOVE to review it for u ed
I hav a lot to say about it!!!

COOL

but deadline is this sunday ...so chop chop lol

TheRevivalEditor wrote:

COOL

but deadline is this sunday ...so chop chop lol

what??

hmmm
ok ye ill try
do bear in mind ive got no internet at home
might take time
but inshaallah ill have it done by sunday

We can moan till the cows come home about programmes we watch, but overall, whilst I disagreed with some aspects of the programme, I appreciated the making of such a programme. It brought to light many positive aspects, and cleared many misunderstandings and misconceptions some non-muslims (and muslims!) commonly hold. One point I didnt like was the invisible German theologian's findings of Syriac words in the Qur'an (i did not feel that it was as groundbreaking as implied) (they even said the Imam at-Tabari (ra) had made very similar discoveries 100s of years ago!).

I also noted that the writer, producer AND director of the programme was one individual: Antony Thomas. He therefore has had an underlying financial reason to make it successful - which would very easily explain why sensationalist footage and reporting made up part of it.

Like Naz, I also found the heavy editing annoying to say the least. In some parts, it was quite embarassingly evident.

It wasnt the worst programme that I had seen on Islam, but not the best either. Im quite enjoying the 7 wonders of the Muslim world on channel 4 all this week though (7:50pm, channel 4).

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

ok ive got tinternet finally woooooo

so inshaallah ill have it done by sunday
ive already written 2 pages
well
on paper anyway

Salam

Very clever attempt by Channel 4 to confuse
Muslim kids in Britain who are not fully aware of history of their own religion.

Channel 4 tried to present a program to show that
God's Book has been altered.

They gave this section more time than any other part.

They couldn't find anyone in British Universities, and so,
they quoted an unknown German man to prove their case.

And then, the silly presenter shot himself in the foot by saying
that even most of the western scholars say that the Holy Koran has
remained unchanged since time of Prophet Muhammad.

Idiot.

Omrow

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Very clever attempt by Channel 4 to confuse
Muslim kids in Britain who are not fully aware of history of their own religion.

Channel 4 tried to present a program to show that
God's Book has been altered.

They gave this section more time than any other part.

They couldn't find anyone in British Universities, and so,
they quoted an unknown German man to prove their case.

And then, the silly presenter shot himself in the foot by saying
that even most of the western scholars say that the Holy Koran has
remained unchanged since time of Prophet Muhammad.

Idiot.

Omrow

MashAllah very good analysis of the programme.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

How come there are no programmes on Bible or any other religious book on Channel 4?

Allahuakbar wrote:
How come there are no programmes on Bible or any other religious book on Channel 4?

there HAVE been documentaries on the Bible, but ive noticed that theyre always something like how there r signs in the bible that have happened
so ye its heavily biased

Allahuakbar wrote:

there HAVE been documentaries on the Bible, but ive noticed that theyre always something like how there r signs in the bible that have happened
so ye its heavily biased

Yeah, the only one I ever seen was one on the 'Bible Code'

Pages