Mawlid as a national holiday

Dear People,
AssalamuAlaikum

Please sign the below petition, the government requires a minimum of 200 signatures to 'consider' it.

Petition is to make mawlid a national holiday in the UK.

The muslims in the United Kingdom, feel that they require a national holiday to celebrate the Birth of the Prophet Muhammad. This day can be used as a public awareness day about the Prophet Muhammad and utilised as an event to create greater understanding and tolerance between communities. This is currently done in many countries world wide, muslim and non muslim. AFRICAN COUNTRIES: Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Comoros, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Togo MIDDLE EAST: Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestinian National Authority, Syria, United Arab Emirates/UAE, Yemen ASIA: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan OTHER: Fiji, Guyana (source: MQ International)

Thank you
Wassalam

insha'Allaah it will happen!

Wether if they accept it or not, atleast we know we tried, and if we keep trying nobody knows, maybe they will accept?

or atleast thier office workers who dont know what mawlid is, will come to know of it?

i dont think its too much for us to spend 2 minutes filling a petition.

Please forward to everyone you know, we need 200 peopel atleast!

imme wrote:
Wether if they accept it or not, atleast we know we tried, and if we keep trying nobody knows, maybe they will accept?

or atleast thier office workers who dont know what mawlid is, will come to know of it?

i dont think its too much for us to spend 2 minutes filling a petition.

Please forward to everyone you know, we need 200 peopel atleast!

Why would you have Mawlid as a national holiday, but not 'Eid?

There's an Eid prayer which is difficult to attend if someone has work, but Mawlid doesn't have any extra worship.

I think people should prioritise.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

because our mullahs cant bloody decide when eid is, thats why.

also, the gov has already accepted plans for eid holiday, they just want mullahs to unite on a fixed date.

However, There is no Eid without Mawlid.

imme wrote:
There is no Eid without Mawlid.

? :? ?

What does that mean?

How come the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) celebrated Eid then, cos he didn't celebrate Mawlid?

It means that if the Prophet (SAW) was not born then there would be no such thing as eid.

However lets not get into the discussion of wether if the Prophet (SAW) celebrated his birth, or wether if its permissble etc.

Those who started the petition obviously believe its permissible, therefore lets leave it as that.

If you disagree then fair enough start a different thread to discuss it.

I don't wanna start the discussion about permissibility of celebrating Mawlid etc, I just think that Muslims should focus trying to get the two Eids a holidays first before anything extra (won't happen for at least 20 years anyway, but that's beside the point).

BD Brother wrote:
The birth of Rasulallah (SAW) was the birth of Islam.

I know I'm being pedantic, but Islam existed throughout history in every society and community.

(I know what you meant, but I like being obtuse sometimes)

We have 96 votes in 1 day!!! we need a minimum of 200.

But the petiton does not close until August therefore we should get wll above 200!!!

salams,

Allah has given us guidlines hasn't he? Didn't HE make it clear what muslim celebrations were? So why are we trying to create new celebrations however "worthy" they may seem, doesn't this go against the rules?

Two Eids is enough. I suggest during the Week of Eid, they have an Eid awareness campaign, that way there's no bother over Eid dates, and technically it wouldn't be a man made holiday either.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Why do we need a national holiday on Mawlid? Why not just take the two Eids off whether it's national or not! Just think you're at home chilling out with family while you're non-Muslim colleagues are working thier socls off!
All right, man! Just kidding!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Why not campaign for Fridays to be added to the weekend while we're at it. Or maybe make w'ends Friday-Saturday instead of Saturday-Sunday instead? Very soon there will be more practising Muslims in Britain than Christains so it makes sense.

Funny.

However the reasoning used for Mawlid by the creator may have been different therefore his selection of Mawlid Petition, Maybe because Eid petitions already exist and or have been accepted in principle.

However, its not a debate on whats more important, I signed it and posted it onhere not on the basis of eid/mawlid but on the basis that it is a good idea, a special day where we can show the true beuty of our beloved Prophet (SAW) to all.

However I also at the same time have no hopes of it being accepted and am pretty sure it will not be.

But every begining has a start.

Please dont post things on legality of Mawlid here, or whats more important than another, its irrelevant the Petition has started, if you wish to discuss mawlid open a different thread.

If you think eid should be priority then do something about it.. speakin against the reasoning of a certain petition isnt going to solve anything.

Quote:
If you think eid should be priority then do something about it.. speakin against the reasoning of a certain petition isnt going to solve anything.

Can we talk on this forum? Does the reasoning of the petition say that Mawlid comes before Eid?

Ya'qub wrote:
Why not campaign for Fridays to be added to the weekend while we're at it. Or maybe make w'ends Friday-Saturday instead of Saturday-Sunday instead? Very soon there will be more practising Muslims in Britain than Christains so it makes sense.

That i agree with but considering it is a 'Christian' country the weekend should be Friday and Sunday ( not very logical i know ..) unless the queen is in fact a Jew ? ...

I dont think the petition was made beause the creator thought it comes before eid.

I think his intentions were made clear in the text of petition... to create awareness of prophet muhamma d(SAW)

Which day would be designated as a national holiday?

I don't meant to be negative but...realistally the fact that the date will be different every year causes a few logistical problems, e.g. what if the date conflicts with another holiday like good friday or bank holiday monday?

Instead of DEMANDING a national holiday, let's get our own house in order first, and DEMAND that the mosque committees and the Imams unite and designate Eids on the same day throughout the UK, instead of the 3 different days we get now. That would be a campaign that gets my vote!!!

Has the petition guy run off?

You know he hasn't been replying for a bit.