Do you agree with having ID cards in the UK?

Good idea- I agree
8% (3 votes)
Good idea- I agree
8% (3 votes)
Very bad idea- disagree
42% (15 votes)
Very bad idea- disagree
42% (15 votes)
Total votes: 36

Assallamu Allaikum

[b]ID CARDS -PASSED IN PARLIAMENT!!!!![/b]

MPs narrowly back ID cards plan

Charles Clarke has rejected claims of a Big Brother society
Ministers have won a Commons vote over their controversial ID cards plan but their majority was cut from 67 to 31.

Read full article here:

[b]ID CARDS- GOOD TOOL TO TACKLE TERRORISM, FRAUD AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION OR AN INFRINGMENT ON OUR PRIVACY????[/b]
Is Britain heading for an identity crisis? The government is pushing ahead with its plan to introduce identity cards. The idea has support from law enforcers. But it has also attracted considerable criticism from civil liberties groups.

A six-month trial started in Jan 04

Other countries have ID card schemes but how will identity cards affect you? Are you comforted by the security they provide or afraid that Britain will become a big brother state? If you want to influence policy before it becomes law, this is the time to start.
[b]
What are the arguments? [/b]
[b]For identity cards:[/b] The government and supporters of the scheme argue that identity cards are necessary to prevent identity theft and reduce benefit fraud. They say that identity cards would:

[u]Prevent illegal immigration: [/u]Lack of a card allows illegal immigrants to arrive and disappear, according to the government.
[u]Prevent illegal working: [/u]Identity cards would enable employers to verify if people are allowed to work and it would be easier to prosecute employers who break the law, says the Home Office.
[u]Aid anti-terrorism measures: [/u]Identity cards would make it harder for terrorists and organised crime rings to use false and multiple identities, argues the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.
[u]Tackle identity theft:[/u] A National Register with unique biometric information for each person would make fraud much harder, according to Cifas, the UK’s fraud prevention service.
[u]Reduce benefit fraud and abuse of public services:[/u] Identity cards would ensure that public services are only used by those entitled to, says the Home Office.
[u]Enhance sense of community: [/u]The government believes that identity cards would create a sense of shared citizenship, belonging and security.

[b]Against identity cards: [/b]Opponents argue that identity cards won’t improve security in this country. They say that identity cards would:

[u]
Lead to loss of privacy:[/u] A massive database with an unprecedented amount of personal information would be created with giving government the power to "extend surveillance" of the population, says No2ID.
[u]Be costly and impractical: [/u]The true cost of the scheme is unpredictable and the Home Office has a bad track record with large-scale IT projects, says the Liberal Democrats.
[u]Worsen harassment of ethnic minorities: [/u]They would provide another pretext for stop-and-search, often directed at ethnic minorities, argues the civil liberties group Liberty.
[u]Have little impact on counter-terrorism:[/u] Terror networks could forge cards or papers enabling people to get cards, and they haven’t prevented attacks elsewhere, says Liberty.
[u]Have little effect on illegal working:[/u] Employers who are already willing to break the law won’t be put off by identity cards, says campaigning organisation No2ID.
[u]Lead to ‘function creep’: [/u]MPs on the Home Affairs Committee expressed concerns that the functions of the card could grow as it stores more personal information.

Weighing up the risks and benefits of identity cards is hard as it’s a very complicated issue. You don’t have to be absolutely for or against the plans in order to take action. Many groups don’t object to identity cards in principle but have serious reservations about how they are implemented, for example, you may want to make sure that while it should be compulsory to have identity cards, it shouldn’t be compulsory to carry them

If the bill becomes law, identity cards would be introduced in stages. The first phase would include biometrically updating passports and driving licences. In the second phase, around 2008, a voluntary card would be introduced. Finally, the card could eventually become compulsory – although this would be many years off.
[b]
What can I do now? [/b]

Talk to interested organisations
There are a number of lobby groups and organisations with a stake in the matter. They may help you make up your mind:

Liberty believes that any benefits from identity cards are outweighed by the financial and civil liberties costs. Its website has more information on identity cards.
Stand is a lobby group opposing identity cards. It has resources on the issue.
NO2ID is a campaign group opposing identity cards. It has an ongoing petition protesting against the introduction of identity cards and a regularly updated web log.
The Law Society is sceptical of the scheme. It says the police don’t have problems identifying individuals but linking them to crimes. Read its full report.
The Information Commissioner, in charge of data protection, says the government must respect privacy but the obstacles are not "insurmountable". Read his full report.
Rethink, a mental illness charity, says those with mental illness might not be able to afford a card and could have problems accessing services. Read its report.
The Financial Services Authority supports the scheme on financial grounds. It says cards would help the disadvantaged – who find it hard to prove identity and address – do basic things like set up bank accounts. You can read its report on identity cards.
The Police Federation supports identity cards because they enable easy street identification and help prevent fraud.
The Confederation of British Industry says cards will benefit UK businesses.
Of the political parties who have stated views, the Green Party have a comprehensive has a comprehensive on its website. The Liberal Democrats has declared its opposition to the cards and the Scottish National Party both opposes them and believes that the cards should be a devolved issue allowing for separate legislation in Scotland. The Conservative Party is also opposed to identity cards.
Talk to the government
The Home Office website has proposals and research into identity cards. You can read the government’s summary of the consultation exercise on ID cards.

You can contact the Home Office for more information and send in your views.

Talk to your MP
Your MP is your representative in parliament, and if you have strong concerns you should let them know. The iCan guides, How to lobby political representatives and How to influence decision-makers are a useful starting point. You can also read the guide, Understanding what MPs do and how they can help you.

Get campaigning
There are a number of campaigns on the ID cards issue and as well as the links above, there are more on our ID cards issue page. If you want to take action yourself read the iCan guide, How to start a campaign and set up a group, or go to our Take Action page to post a notice and see if other people in your area share your concern.

WASALAAM

I heard the cards will cost around £80, is this true? If so, I don't know how they're going to get people to pay that kind of money.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I heard the cards will cost around £80, is this true? If so, I don't know how they're going to get people to pay that kind of money.

First it was about £30, now its £90, and soon it's going to get higher than that. Interestingly most people who oppose the ID cards do so because because of the cost not because of civil liberty and privacy issues.
The gov might even have to provide some sort of 'ID card allowance' to help some people pay for one.

The ID card bill has to voted on again in parliament. It'll probably be watered down by then.

It may make it harder for terrorists and organised crime rings but it wont stop them or make it impossible for them. I garuntee that some1 will be making fake ID Cards, if anything this will only make it easier.

With all the other services we pay for e.g. council tax, road tax, general tax, TV Licence. They now expect us to pay for one of these ID Cards? With little microchips inside holding our details... for all we know they're being used to track our movements.

Im a little paranoid but a huge database that contains information on everyone... if that doesnt sound like a Big Brother State i dont know what does. Imagine the amount of damage some1 could do if they broke into such a database? Information on every1.

Very dangerious if ID Cards are created. Putting that kind of information and power at the disposal of the government... i dont think its only gonna be used for what they say its gonna be used for, i dont trust them.

Back in BLACK

true if all that info falls into the wrong hands then it'd be chaos...scary stuff

If it does come into force, there wont be many people who will buy them.
We're taxed enuff as it is without having to fork out for these ID cards.

Suspect it will be Labours undoing in the end. If theres one thing that people dont like its more money being paid out to the government.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
If it does come into force, there wont be many people who will buy them.
We're taxed enuff as it is without having to fork out for these ID cards.

Suspect it will be Labours undoing in the end. If theres one thing that people dont like its more money being paid out to the government.

Exactly, its just another excuse to pay up to the damn goverment, ID cards are gona do jack all!!

I think ID Cards aren't that important and aren't worth all that money.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

We already have photo driving licenses and passports, what the hell do we need ID cards for?

It's this big brother mentality of Blair's that bugs me, I'm sure he won't be sattisfied until he's controlling what we think as well as everything else.

They have ID cards in spain but it didn’t stop the Madrid bombing.

ID cards equal good business opportunity for criminals who can forge them.

It’s all about raising funds for the government. I’m not buying one.

It dont bother me

esp since I have nothing to hide

but £80/90 is a rip off-thats more then my monthly pocket money

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
It dont bother me

esp since I have nothing to hide

but £80/90 is a rip off-thats more then my monthly pocket money

What it doesnt bother you that they could be watching your every move?

Back in BLACK

I cant stand the thought of someone watchin me and the fact that i have to pay to be watched, pah what a joke! its creepy and plus i am not a bad person

"Seraph" wrote:

it'd only bother me if i was getting up to hanky panky undercover

so since i have nothing to hide-Big Bro can watch my every move

dont bother me

unlike SOME Garfields I hav nothing to hide

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

it'd only bother me if i was getting up to hanky panky undercover

so since i have nothing to hide-Big Bro can watch my every move

dont bother me

unlike SOME Garfields I hav nothing to hide

Woh woh lets not get into hearsay...

I just dont like the idea of the Government watching me and knowing everything about me. I like to have my own space... its an invasion of privacy.

Doesnt mean ive got stuff to hide :oops: just i'd like to have the option to hide something if i felt like hiding something.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:

just i'd like to have the option to hide something if i felt like hiding something.

well if these cards come out-ur "option to hide something if u felt like hiding something." will be removed :twisted:

i can only see good things with this silly card

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

just i'd like to have the option to hide something if i felt like hiding something.

well if these cards come out-ur "option to hide something if u felt like hiding something." will be removed :twisted:

i can only see good things with this silly card

So what your saying you wouldnt mind the paying the government £80-90 to spy on you.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:

So what your saying you wouldnt mind the paying the government £80-90 to spy on you.

no :roll:

read my posts

my only issue is with the cost- I wont be able to afford it with my pocket money

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

no :roll:

read my posts

my only issue is with the cost- I wont be able to afford it with my pocket money

Soo in essence what you're saying is you wouldnt mind paying the government your pocket money to spy on you... as long as you've got enuff money left over for stickers... and gummie bears... and jelly beans..

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:

Soo in essence what you're saying is you wouldnt mind paying the government your pocket money to spy on you... as long as you've got enuff money left over for stickers... and gummie bears... and jelly beans..

NO!

I'm saying that the government can spy on me as long as they dont make ME pay for it

it is a MUST that I buy eye liner every month-

but this will just be lame like that Big Brother show..I've NEVER watched its cos its SO lame, cos whenever I flick to that channel I hear the presenter going "Its 11.40 the house mates are still sleeping........It is 11.42 the house mates are STILL sleeping"

that programme bores me beyound belief...in the same way, I'm sure the government will just get sick and tird of keeping an eye on an daydreaming Garfield

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

NO!

I'm saying that the government can spy on me as long as they dont make ME pay for it

it is a MUST that I buy eye liner every month-

but this will just be lame like that Big Brother show..I've NEVER watched its cos its SO lame, cos whenever I flick to that channel I hear the presenter going "Its 11.40 the house mates are still sleeping........It is 11.42 the house mates are STILL sleeping"

that programme bores me beyound belief...in the same way, I'm sure the government will just get sick and tird of keeping an eye on an daydreaming Garfield

I've never quite understood why people watch Big Brother. Its just boring... ordinary people (not even attractive people) sat around doing nothng... TVs really gone down hill since the 'Rockford Files'.

I dunno im pretty sure they'll all find out something really interesting about us... Inside information about people is very powerful. Can be used against you.

PS: I noticed you didnt dispute the stickers, gummie bears or Jelly Beans.lol

Back in BLACK

So the bill has been passed through parliament.

The question is when will the ID cards be implemented... coz they're good at talking but not so good at doing.