Dawah

[color=green][b]Assalaamu Alaykum[/b][/color]

What does it mean to be a dawah carrier?

Are you a dawah carrier? Do you give dawah to Muslims, non-Muslims or both? Or do you shy away and wait for someone else to do the preaching?

What characteristics do you think a dawah carrier should have?

Lastly, how do you give dawah?

Discuss.

[color=green][b]Wa'Alaykum Assalaam[/b][/color]

@Muslimbro: Please don't kill the topic by digging up a similar thread, shukran jazeelan.

I love giving and receiving da'wah.

Me and my friends do this ALL the time

basically its just talking about Islam.

but with non-Muslims: I try to shy away from 'bringing up' the topic of Islam, just because I know that, as an atheist, it is not nice being preached to, and actually tends to have an adverse effect on ppl.

If THEY bring up the topic, I try to say as much as possible.

If/when a non-Muslim want a proper debate, then I roll up my sleeves and can discuss with them until sunrise (as some unfortunate Jehovah's Witnesses found out when they knocked at my door).

Someone told me that the most effective form of da'wah is action. If someone sees you doing good and being nice, and attributes it to you being a Muslim, then that is far better than any stuff you tell them.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Characteristics-
It helps to be known as a good person
Wise
not to be a hypocrit
knowledgable

Those are the ones i can think of.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

There's a big difference between Dawah and preaching. Preaching is what, you know, preachers do when they say: "Become Christian/Muslim/Jehovah's Witness!" or whatever. Dawah is spreading Islam in a moderate and non-forceful way. Like subtley slipping Islam into a debate. Or even being a decent person in front of others. Dawah is a lot broader than preaching.
Do I do Dawah?
Well, I try to slip Islam in some conversations. And I try to be the best Muslim I can be. But I know there's room for a lot more!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Agree with Courage

active dawah, through actions and character is FAR more effective than preaching...save yourself from hell

i mean, if they dont believe in it, why they gona buy that arguement?

some preachers needa show the soft and loving side of Islam, its far more effective than the save yourself stuff - which isnt innacurate - but ineffective in bringing people towards islam

i asked a tableeghi brother nicely how the way they do dawah is effective in todays society, taking into consideration the way the youth are nowadays - they dont like mosques, so why are they gona stop and spend a few nyts in there with you when all you say is...'we are wasting our time in this short life, come to mosque after Asr at 3pm'. He certainly didnt come up with a reasonable answer

not a diss on tablighis and their ways - but since i was a kid and ignorant of different groups till today, i still dont find their ways appealing

IMO - Innefective Dawah. My shop is right next to their mosque, and whenevr a jamaat is around, i can tell. I was approached a few days ago by them, and its the same thing everytime....i said salaam and asked how he was etc and carried on playing monopoly. I mean, wheres that talk that will INSPIRE me to come mosque or to one of their events?

You have to dig into the minds and the hearts of the people to bring them towards islam. Stuff they can relate too, topics they will understand- not how to do your wudhu correctly (altho thats VERY beneficial no doubt)

As the Ed says, and was shown by the Prophet (SAW) - walking talking adverts for Islam is what we all needa do

and whilst im all for people studying in madrassahs and become Ulema or Qari's etc. - there needs to be a push for doing dawah in the proffessional industries and at workplaces. Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers etc all needa use their jobs as a way of doing dawah....and it can be in various forms

an example.....a friend of my cousin in Yemen has learnt and practised in Law and also has knowledge of Islamic law.

He gives advice on family law in the UK at mass confrences, using the Islamic solutions to family situations to address the many problems the current UK system continiously fails to solve

And hes in demand - that approach as my cousin was telling me, and i wholeheartedly agree, is needed more these days

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

It's good to give da'wah, but it's also important to know how to give it.

I bought this book, I haven't read all of it but it's really good.

Quote:
There are few who will disagree that the duty of Da‘wah, or calling, to Islam has been severely neglected in our times when the need for it is more pronounced than ever. It is either not undertaken altogether, or if it is performed, then it is undertaken without the knowledge of the etiquette, preconditions, and general teachings that the sacred sources of Islam have provided for it. Therefore, the Da‘wah is many times bereft of the results and blessings that could be attained.

The Fiqh of Da‘wah attempts to explain this duty in a detailed and thorough way. It is based on a comprehensive collection of forty hadiths pertaining to the preaching methods of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) as well as his teachings regarding Da‘wah to Allah. The commentary then elaborates upon the hadiths, carefully outlining the virtue, principles, conditions, and etiquette of this lofty duty. Furthermore, the work documents a number of practical examples from the lives of the pious predecessors and from those more recent, showing how they were prepared to make Da‘wah even in the most inhospitable of circumstances. This work should prove an indispensable guide for anyone who wishes to seriously understand and practice this forgotten obligation in the twenty-first century.

[url]

When I'm with Muslims, we talk about Islam frequently. But when I'm with non-Muslims, I do about religion but I don't make it too obvious. It's important not to bang on about Islam all the time when they're around coz they don't like that. Talking about current issues is a good way of starting a conversation about Islam, eg. Archbishop's comment about Sharia law. Being practising is also [i]very[/i] important. Some people even try to give me da'wah. Someone at uni even tried to convince me to have a girlfriend, and when I told them I'm a Muslim, they said come on, "it's only religion".

does anyone else get annoyed when stopped by the 'jamaat'?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:

How so?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

"Irfan.Khan" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

How so?

state the obvious,stop you whilst ur doing something, and not invite you...but almost force you to come jamaat

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I would be happy.