Many Asians 'do not feel British'

More than a third of British Asians do not feel British, a BBC poll suggests.
The research among the under-34s for the Asian Network found 38% of the UK residents of South Asian origin felt only slightly or not at all British.

More than a third agreed to get on in the UK they needed to be a "coconut", a term for somebody who is "brown on the outside but white on the inside".

ICM Research interviewed 500 Asian people aged 16-34 and 235 white people aged 18-34 between 4 and 12 July.

Of those polled 84% were satisfied with life in Britain and almost half thought they have more opportunities here.

Half of the South Asians and nearly two-thirds of the white people interviewed agreed it was too easy for immigrants to settle in Britain.

we've all had enough of the british muslim debate

now tis time for the asian british debate

does anyone else feel more british then asian?

is there times when u feel more asian-er

or british-er

or do u have the right balence down?

I am a British-Matmi.
I dont know which comes first, if there is such a thing. I do Matam in Britain; and I thank God for that. That's it.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

does anyone else feel more british then asian?

I do sometimes.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in Britain doesn't make you a British. Being born here in Britain doesn't make you an British.

We declare our right on this earth to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth.

Back in BLACK

I'm not sure how to feel 'British' but I do know how it feels like to feel 'less asian and more English/white' (i.e. a gorey)

And this depends on where I am.

On most days I feel more English than Asian. At home AND at work/Uni.

But at the same time, when starting a new job/new Uni…I’m more inclined to gravitate towards the ‘Asian’ girl.

When I’am with my semi-traditional, very patriotic family from back home. I feel incredibly ‘white’.

When I’am with my working class/at times traditional part of my family. I feel very English.

When I’am with my “what the hell you wearing?”/Asian food gives me heartburn” very ‘coconut’ side of my family. I feel semi English.

And when I’am with my very snobby, incredibly rich “I think white people make better husbands/wives than Asian people” part of my family. I feel like an insignificant Asian.
However, I think that’s more of a class divide.

And nothing aggravates me more than a lecture on how not knowing your mother tongue fluently and/or preferring not to wear Asian clothes outside the home, makes you a ‘bad person’.

couldn't u copy some of the jokes from the tarty girls for Alliyah and Jameela?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
couldn't u copy some of the jokes from the tarty girls for Alliyah and Jameela?

LOL

them girls were vulgar

our aliyah aint THAT bad

I feel very British, my grandfather moved here when he was only 17, my dad, auties and uncles are all born and bred in England and there English is of quite a high standard.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

I AM 100% BRITISH! AND VERY PROUD OF IT!

live and let live!!!!!!!

Salam Muslim Sis Lil Sis,

How are you? What happen to the forum?

If you still remember me it is me the evil gremlin so called "Mujahid". I become good muslim now and married, how about yourself?

If there is a member i marry from this forum it would be you Smile

take care

Err- this is not a marriage site. :/

Hummus wrote:

Really...??? Sad

So I should stop looking for a partner on here then?

Salim AL Omari wrote:
Salam Muslim Sis Lil Sis,

How are you? What happen to the forum?

If you still remember me it is me the evil gremlin so called "Mujahid". I become good muslim now and married, how about yourself?

If there is a member i marry from this forum it would be you Smile

take care

Lol

Northen Southener wrote:
Hummus wrote:

Really...??? Sad

So I should stop looking for a partner on here then?

Not impressed. Mr 'already married'.

Stop