Men 'no less chatty than women'

The common notion that women are the more talkative sex has been dispelled by scientists in the US.
Researchers who bugged 400 students to log their chats found little difference in word count between the sexes.

The University of Arizona study, in Science, conflicts with previous US research suggesting women talk almost three times as much as men.

Whether someone was an introvert or an extrovert was more important, said relationship experts.

In the study, women spoke a daily average of 16,215 words during their waking hours, and men 15,669 words.

The researchers say this difference is not significant.

Lead researcher Matthias Mehl said: "What's a 500-word difference, compared to the 45,000-word difference between the most and the least talkative persons?"

The most talkative man in the study used 47,000 words while the least used a little more than 500 over a few days.

The researchers admit that their findings may not apply to all men as they only studied university students.

discuss and dispell gender stereotypes here

It's one study which seems to contradict previous ones.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

That is something I cannot agree with 'muslimsislilsis'.

Their research has come up with a wrong result.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

based on personal exp

i cant say that either gender is more chattier than the other

i know chatty girls AND boys who dont know when to shut up

Based on me and my family's experiences (I have quite a quiet, boring family).

Girls seem much more chattier to boys.

However I do know overly chatty boys but we know many more over-chatty girls.

At the end of the day, who cares.

Boys and girls are different and being talkative is not that much of a weakness.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

Mr. Ed has a very interesting personality....

I have actually met him once.

His older brother is very intellectual and has much Islamic knowledge.

No i would say girls defo chat more than guys. They've got this habit of just going on and on about themselves (me not being one of them).

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
No i would say girls defo chat more than guys. They've got this habit of just going on and on about themselves (me not being one of them).

u shud hear Mr Ed on the radio

lol. he dunt give any1 else a chance to speak!

I used too... chat alot.

Not soo much anymore.

That is all.

Back in BLACK

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

"Noor" wrote:

thats just 1 out of the hundreds and thousands

"Naz" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

"Noor" wrote:

do u know hundreds and thousand men?

this is a study of student in america, the reason boys chat the same as girls is because guys in general are becoming more feminine over there!

[size=9](i just posted this to please Malik and annoy Dave, i'm not sure why!)[/size]

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

"Noor" wrote:

do u know hundreds and thousand men?

erm close enough lol.
I aint one to believe surveys esp American surveys. The ppl in America are on a different wave length to us Brits. In America you have to be gobby otherwise your going to struggle to find work, make friends etc.

What Nonsense.

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

"Naz" wrote:
erm close enough lol.
I aint one to believe surveys esp American surveys. The ppl in America are on a different wave length to us Brits. In America you have to be gobby otherwise your going to struggle to find work, make friends etc.

No, no you have it all wrong. You do not have to be "gobby" - you have to be conversationally adept. I mean seriously, who likes having some yob come up and stare at them waiting to say... nothing... that's just awkward.

You also need to brush your teeth, and [i]floss[/i].

Other than that we're pretty easy going.

@Dave
ive done it again.
Sorry didnt mean any offence, ignore me i pay too much attention to the telly.

Speaking of stereotypes, I was on a mission the sexist misconceptions of a class of Year 6 boys...

I did so by proving that I, a ‘mere girl’ was a better runner than them, better at archery, rock climbing and climbing ropes.

And that just cos they were boys…it didn’t mean that they couldn’t sweep the floor, do the washing up, and pick up clutter at the end of the day.

But at the same time. When I was carrying/pushing anything heavy. I did make the boys do the heavy lifting for me :oops: …...but it gave them a chance to flex their muscles.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Speaking of stereotypes, I was on a mission the sexist misconceptions of a class of Year 6 boys...

I did so by proving that I, a ‘mere girl’ was a better runner than them, better at archery, rock climbing and climbing ropes.

And that just cos they were boys…it didn’t mean that they couldn’t sweep the floor, do the washing up, and pick up clutter at the end of the day.

But at the same time. When I was carrying/pushing anything heavy. I did make the boys do the heavy lifting for me :oops: …...but it gave them a chance to flex their muscles.

Oh come on they're in sixth grade that hardly counts!

It makes a difference.

You know, the personalities that are formed at age 11 are the ones that usually stick around for life.

Plus...kids develop mentally and physically a lot earlier these days.