Greetings

Are we allowed to use greetings from other religions?

I think not, but am not sure.

Anyone?

you create a lot of silly threads these days..... :?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Why, thankyou. I must fit right in.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

There's som hadiths that say we reply to greetings from non Muslims by saying..

'Wa'alaikum (And on you)."

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

We're not allowed to give 'salams' to non-muslims but if they do 'salam' us then we should reply by saying 'Wa alaykum'.

As for using greetings from non-muslims, I know that we're allowed to use the greeting non-muslims use.

I take it you created this thread after thinking hard and long about the Juma Mubarak thread Smile

i dont know about greetings from other religions.........but i presume you can use greetings from other nations? I use Polish a lot

and if you say Walaykum.......and Walaykumasalaam....whats the diff? And on to you (peace).......and And may peace be with you ?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam is one of the names of Allah (swt) hence why u cnt use it greeting a non-muslim.

I did not think there was any issue with wishing them peace...

It is only after death that you cannot pray for a non-muslim.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

not really sure what the religious view on greetings is.
But apprently your not allowed to say the word salaam because your shortening the actual term Asalam Walikum.
Also i was reading somewhere that you cant actually pray for non muslims while they are alive let alone when they are dead (whoops).

This is only what i have heard so dont quote me on it.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
But apprently your not allowed to say the word salaam because your shortening the actual term Asalam Walikum.

You just said it Blum 3

When I said salams I meant Assalamu Alaikum.

You are wrong about this, you can say the word salam and as Noor said it is one of the names of Allah (swt).

you can say it, altho obv its better to say the full thing

if someone says asalaamulaikum........you have to respond with equal or better, i.e. walaykumasalaam

if they add wa rahmatullah at the end, again, you have to respond with equal or better. i.e walaykumasalaam wa rahmatillah

and likewise if they add barakatahu at the end

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I think we can use Ya Ali Madaad for everyone.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

That is not a greeting.

"You" wrote:
That is not a greeting.

you could always go with the budweiser advert...

Waaaaassssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

But its been done to death.

Back in BLACK

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

You just said it Blum 3

Biggrin

"MuslimBro" wrote:
You are wrong about this, you can say the word salam and as Noor said it is one of the names of Allah (swt).

i did say dont quote me on it.

"Noor" wrote:
Salaam is one of the names of Allah (swt) hence why u cnt use it greeting a non-muslim.

But Allah(swt) is their Lord too, he is everyone's Lord. Ok, they may have a different name for God but it's still the same thing isn't it?

Religion is the heart in a heartless world.

Bestest greeting in the whole world is Ya Ali Madaad.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

erm... as I said before that is not a greeting. It is a plea.

In pre-Islamic Arabia, when people met, they used to greet each other with various greetings. Islam changed and replaced these greetings with this standard form of greeting - Assalamu Alaykum.

say for example a muslim says Asalam Walikum with intentions other than to greet one in the intended way then what?
Do you reply back with Asalam Walikum or ignore then or use an alternative greeting (which shall not be stated on this forum for obvious reasons)?

shukran Biggrin

I have not seen any authoritative texts forbidding you from using greetings from other nations, languages, culture, religions etc yet. However to another Muslim you have to greet with 'Assalamu Alaykum'.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

i say salamalekum to my family but with the bros wagwan. thats not from another religion is it?

tera mere milna & mohatarma

'Wagwan' is patois

There are some Muslims in parts of the Caribbean, and many converts/reverts

But u get many blessings from Allah (swt) just by saying 'assalamu alaikum' to another Muslim, so i guess its probably best to start using it (assuming that u want blessings from Allah (swt))

Don't just do something! Stand there.

whats potis.?

a dialect of english spoken in the Caribbean, especially in Jamaica.

its become 'street' language used by people in Britain of all races and backgrounds

"Ya'qub" wrote:
'Wagwan'

I find that irritating when someone uses it.

Just makes me wanna punch them in the face :twisted:

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:
'Wagwan'

I find that irritating when someone uses it.

Just makes me wanna punch them in the face :twisted:

Amin!

serpent or whatever your name is (what a gay name you have) id deck you in a flash. i dont go gym just to look god. and yaqub you sound like a geek anyway.

geeks on the internet? No way!

I can't believe people still try to use that as an insult! (or threatening violence on the internet. What a joke!)

Pages