I'm a Muslim - Feel Free to Judge

Salaam

I’m currently on placement in a school where I’am the only Asian/Muslim girl.

The people are lovely….however, I’m exhausted. This exhaustion is more mental than physical.

Every SINGLE day I have to explain or justify or defend my religion.

If I’m not explaining/justifying some channel four programme that they saw a while back…I’m explaining to them that I was NOT forced to cover my hair and CAN drive, educate myself and work.

I’m always talking about the difference between forced/arranged marriages …..I’m always explaining to them that just cos I’am a Muslim - I’am not an expert in Islam…esp when it comes to politics or current affairs.

And cos that school gets a lot of supply…I’m repeating myself to a new member of staff every day.

I also see that cos I’m the only Muslim in that school…whatever I do is “Islam”. So, as a result I’ m friendly and helpful even when some members of staff take the mick, simply and only so that you don’t walk away thinking that ‘Muslims don’t want to integrate with us’. I make sure that EVERY single child in my classroom is tidy and his/her best behaviour at all times, so people don’t think that ‘Muslims are teaching the next generation to be rude and dirty’.

I also really dislike it when people assume. Yeh, I wear a hijaab but that doesn’t mean that I’m not into fashion….I never miss an episode of ‘Next Top Model’. So why assume that I don’t want to go shopping? Also, just because I always refuse to have a drink in the pub that doesn’t mean I’d refuse to go out to dinner with them.

Yeh I know it’s a fantastic dawah opportunity. But…I don’t particularly like being in the spotlight 24/7.

But at the same time…I always wanted to be a teacher of Islam. But I always assumed that I’d be teaching kids the basics….not non-Muslims the basics.

Does anyone else experience this on a regular basis at Uni/work etc?

Wasalaam

yes and sis dats da way it is we r walkin talkin adverts of islam and if we r a good adevrt muslims have a good image i get this a lot especially in my r.e classes but u hve 2 deal with it and i fink wat ur doing is gr8 i kno have a grown reputation in my school as being very wise but down 2 earth which is what they see as most muslims being which is gr8 and u need 2 carry on nd i believe please correct me if i am wrong but u are commiting a form of jihad which is gr8 im 70% sure but please correct me if i am wrong

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

do u kno me? have u seen me? do u kno if i try 2 help muslims brothers or help non-muslims? well then dont ask me what type an advert i am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I can so relate to that. Once you answer their one question they never stop. And exhausting is so the right word. I'm up against The Daily Mail, a colleague brings a copy everyday which everyone flicks through at some point during the day. I so hate that paper.

All my colleagues are really nice and we all get along very well, but I think they do sometimes wonder why I choose to follow Islam. I've finally made them understand it is my choice.

For myself it's really good, coz when I can't answer their question it motivates me to learn more about Islam, although sometimes even if you understand something very well yourself, it can be very difficult to explain to someone else.

Explaining the difference between foced and arranged marriages is funny. I've lost count how many times I've done that...they still make the odd comment about how I'll be better off falling in love with someone before I marry them. I get on very well with my manager and I think she actually seriously worries about me wanting an arranged marriage.

I have to be very careful about what I say to them, for example if I mention anything about my mum or dad not letting me do something, they think it's disallowed in Islam, when it's just my parents enforcing stupid culture on us. That is very hard to explain.

I'm lucky that a lot of my colleagues (not all) are smart enough to understand it is just a few extremist ppl ruining the name of Islam. I think the others are amazed about how 'normal' I am, lol. Because they know me very well, on the whole it's not too bad, sometimes very amusing - I never feel as though I'm being challenged, they are just genuinely very curious.

"Imaani" wrote:

I have to be very careful about what I say to them, for example if I mention anything about my mum or dad not letting me do something, they think it's disallowed in Islam, when it's just my parents enforcing stupid culture on us. That is very hard to explain.

It is very much a cultural difference at times.

The members of staff cant get over the fact that I'm over 18 and still living at home with my parents. :?

And your right about the 'normality' thing as aswell.

My teacher used to say that if you just talk to them and not keep to yourself - they'll realise that you're not that different to them....I've def broken some barriers in my placement.

well i think that david cameron would be happy with this sort of culture because he actually believes that where gun culture arrives from uncertantity in the home

I've just completed a two months placements in a predominately non Muslim school.

I've endured two months of 'Miss, can you speak English?' and 'Miss, are you sure you're not bold?'

But I'm going to miss them all SO much.

I was given lots of presents today as it was my last day - chocolates, flowers, jewellery etc etc

My presents were presented in a very unique way - in a champagne bottle....teachers stressed that cos I've successfully completed my placement I should 'celebrate and get legless'

"MuslimSister" wrote:

My presents were presented in a very unique way - in a champagne bottle....teachers stressed that cos I've successfully completed my placement I should 'celebrate and get legless'

I dont get it... what do they mean by: legless??????? :?

Back in BLACK

Lol

getting pissed to the stage that you cannot walk.

So, did the champagne bottle contain champagne, or other stuff?

(That detail changes the context of the humour. Were they in on the joke, or totally oblivious?)

If someone asked me if I could speak English, my reply would probably be "No, I can't." If I was in a good mood, maybe finish it off with "not a word", with a slight shake of head showing my distress at this embarrassing hicup of not being able to speak English.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
. Were they in on the joke, or totally oblivious?)

If someone asked me if I could speak English, my reply would probably be "No, I can't." If I was in a good mood, maybe finish it off with "not a word", with a slight shake of head showing my distress at this embarrassing hicup of not being able to speak English.

It was a genuine, oblivious mistake. It didnt actually have alcohol in it...but the message of the present/packaging basically was 'you cant get drunk whilst at work, so celebrate this evening with a bottle'.

Such behaivour fascinates me...when it comes to stuff like alcohol they dont get it. BUT, what they don't understand is why I'm OK with eating in the school canteen, knowing that its not halaal.

They fail to understand that, they cant go wrong with a jacket potatoe and salad, which I've been eating every single day for the last two months. The staff at my school thought that the entire kitchen has to be halal for me to eat green salad. Biggrin

And regarding not being able to speak English...it sounds funnier when you've been teaching in English for the past two months, and yet are still asked that question.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

And regarding not being able to speak English...it sounds funnier when you've been teaching in English for the past two months, and yet are still asked that question.

I would have put on a fake paki accent... and insist that i could get everything cheaper.

Back in BLACK