What would you change about yourself?

Salaam

I can think of 101 things that, if I changed about myself I’d be a much nicer person.

As Muslims we should always be striving to better ourselves so that we can benefit those who live with us, the wider society and more importantly our own selves…..bad manners/bad behaviour can be self-destructive.

Our pious predecessors would spend years just trying to rectify one negative aspect of their character….they even wrote countless books on this topic….one pious man spent 40years just trying to control his anger.

Me, personally. I worry and stress too much…I plan too much and think/analyse way too much….in a way, this has benefited my ability to meet deadlines way ahead in time, I have never allowed failure to be a option, if I fail something…it becomes almost like an obsession for me to take it again and succeed…..my OTT planning has obviously benefited my teaching practice.

However, I’m strongly aware of the fact that worrying/planning ahead too much is a strong manifestation of lack of trust in Allah (swt)…also, worrying about being successful too much makes failure impossible to deal with….also, it stops one from relaxing.

So, yeah…what one thing would you change about yourself?

Wasalaam

I feel that as a person I sometimes become inpatient or get very anxious....especially when I am uncertain about something....

Whether these characteristics are common and what the treatments are...I am not sure......Maybe a good spiritual guide can help !!!!! Anyonwe know of any ???

Although I am reticent to answer, because what I would like to change in myself I believe is in my power to change, it is my tendency to engage in mindless distractions and avoid finishing priority tasks (and on time). This is commonplace but I'm now many years in my groove. It would be wonderful to be focused, reliable and efficient. All the good nature in the world is no substitute.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

Salaam

I used to have a problem with thinking and analysing too much. I used to fear that in situations of emotional significance, I wouldn't get to feel or experience it because I would just be analysing it there and then in my head. Its not that much of a problem nowadays.

I have a problem with failure too. I could never quit (I'm sure I've told the story of how I kept a cousin outside in the rain for 8 hours until I bowled him out because he said the first one didn't count).
Then one day I started studying a-level maths and psychology (amonst other two other A level subjects). I still remember sitting on my bed banging my head against the wall until I felt nauseous because it was just so hard. I've never been the homework type and suddenly homework was everywhere! I remember spending a whole night (7 hours) on one mechanics question because I was deteremined to crack it (on average one question takes about 8-15 minutes), by October I was considering dropping out. I say 'considering' but it was never an option.
Then one day I thought I have to stop being obsessed with not quitting (probably some advise from my physics teacher who was like a guide for me) and some times if I couldn't do a question in three hours I would just leave it and say "I couldn't do it." At first it was agonising leaving it, but I still chose to do it. In the end out of all the modules I took an exam for in all my subjects, all my mechanics modules (and one pure module from further maths) were the highest.

I have a problem with meeting new people or being in new situtations. I think in such situations its better that there are no straws to clutch at, so you just have to swim. Maybe.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

WHo says that you aren't ? ...... Lol :D......... only joking !

I wish i had super-powers.... that would be awsome!

Back in BLACK

I wish I learn the art of 'think before you talk'!!

I get into lots of trouble because I havn't mastered it !! YET!

live and let live!!!!!!!

"Seraphim" wrote:

You have the power to smile don't you?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

xray vision or flight?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Dawud" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

yeah Biggrin .... and as much as a super-smile as it is... i would prefer super-strength coupled with flight... that would be great... i could fight crime... protect the innocent... go for world peace.

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

yeah Biggrin .... and as much as a super-smile as it is... i would prefer super-strength coupled with flight... that would be great... i could fight crime... protect the innocent... go for world peace.

Im guessing that you were a great fan of the X-Men/Thunder-catsas a kid or something?

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

"Amal" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

Im guessing that you were a great fan of the X-Men/Thunder-catsas a kid or something?

No... but close. I've always liked Superman. Christopher Reeves owned that role....The new guy was such :roll: a copy cat... brought nothing of his own to the role.

Back in BLACK

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

I can think of 101 things that, if I changed about myself I’d be a much nicer person.

As Muslims we should always be striving to better ourselves so that we can benefit those who live with us, the wider society and more importantly our own selves…..bad manners/bad behaviour can be self-destructive.

Our pious predecessors would spend years just trying to rectify one negative aspect of their character….they even wrote countless books on this topic….one pious man spent 40years just trying to control his anger.

Me, personally. I worry and stress too much…I plan too much and think/analyse way too much….in a way, this has benefited my ability to meet deadlines way ahead in time, I have never allowed failure to be a option, if I fail something…it becomes almost like an obsession for me to take it again and succeed…..my OTT planning has obviously benefited my teaching practice.

However, I’m strongly aware of the fact that worrying/planning ahead too much is a strong manifestation of lack of trust in Allah (swt)…also, worrying about being successful too much makes failure impossible to deal with….also, it stops one from relaxing.

So, yeah…what one thing would you change about yourself?

Wasalaam

my anger and patience!!! they da only things i wanna change about myself!!

The road to success is always under construction!!

I'm trying to change my temper, and my inability to forgive people.

I consider those my two big vices so I want to get rid of em - my other vices are small and add some flavor... they can stick around.