Is There A Need For Female Scholars?

[b]EDIT[/b]

Topic split from the Hijaab thread as different issues are raised.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
Ed, in the work thread u pointed out that its a 'necessity' for women to work (as a nurse, doctor, teacher).

i said in reply to that post of yours, the above things are not so much a 'necessity', but i'd like to note here that Muslim female SCHOLARS are indeed a necessity.

now dont take the following as an attack against u personally Ed, its for all members:

i am sick of Muslim men telling women how, where and when to wear hijab, jilbab or niqab. no offence but u guys have no experience in this sector, muslim women know full well what they should be wearing. i know we have many 'Alimas in our society (graduating from Darul Ulooms in Bradford, Leicester, Nottingham and other places). the question is, y are they not making their voices heard? y are they not coming out and speaking to reporters on the subject of the French ban on hijabs, or Shabina Begums case, or the seemingly controversial topic of women's status in Islam?

salaam

Muslim men dont want to tell women when or how to wear hijab- they just look at the current situation and give their views, fatwas, opinions as scholars.
You see Muslim women, especially female scholars never come forward, air their views, face the press etc so it is men who end up doing it.
I think more educated sisters and ideally female scholars need to be upfront and open about their views regarding women in the West. Yvonne Ridley and Ruqqayah Waris Maqsood are the only two who I know who express their views to the public.

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
Yvonne Ridley and Ruqqayah Waris Maqsood are the only two who I know who express their views to the public.

And they're both converts. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

"irfan" wrote:
Yvonne Ridley and Ruqqayah Waris Maqsood are the only two who I know who express their views to the public.

I think most women are just very shy and would rather not be in the spotlight.

That, and the fact that some men don't give them a chance to come forward.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
the question is, y are they not making their voices heard? y are they not coming out and speaking to reporters on the subject of the French ban on hijabs, or Shabina Begums case, or the seemingly controversial topic of women's status in Islam?

Firstly i cannot give a definite answer on behalf of Alimaat in UK but what I can say is that some of the Alimaat that graduate in UK are taught by Teachers whose chain is strongly linked with the chain of my Respected Teachers.

In this light those Alimaat who are connected with our chain may refrain from speaking out because our concept of purdah is viewed as rather strict by some. Our teachings on purdah would encourage the alimaat NOT to come out on TV or to parade themselves for media people.

Some might argue that Alimaat have a duty to come out and make issues clear for women and for the public but our answer is that the Ulama can make the issue clear and also that the Alimaat do not attract attention towards themselves as modesty and OUR concept of purdah demands concealment.

Lady Believers this is OUR concept, I did not write the above to make controversy just to venture a possible reason why UK Alimaat have not commented.

Become obedient to the Chief, Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam, so ALL chiefs become obedient to you.

"AbdusSalamBiharwi" wrote:

Some might argue that Alimaat have a duty to come out and make issues clear for women and for the public but our answer is that the Ulama can make the issue clear and also that the Alimaat do not attract attention towards themselves as modesty and OUR concept of purdah demands concealment.

My local Imam called me up the other day...he wanted me to speak to a large group of non Muslim girls who were visiting the Mosque and answer any questions they may have.

I told him that he's a Scholar so he'd be in a better position to speak about women's rights/issues etc...he disagreed and said that a woman would be in a better position to speak about women issues...

If you think about it, it makes sense, only a woman can fully know about a woman's nature/how she feels/thinks etc etc

I personally, would be more inclined to listen to a woman speak about women issue rather then a man....

Too bad, there is a shortage of such women.

Agreed women teaching women is MUCH better than men teaching women.

Your example of you doing dawah or teaching or giving a lecture to women in the masjid is different to women coming and making speeches on TV or getting media involved.

According to our teaching it is infact an obligation upon the women scholars to teach non-muslim and muslim women about the religion. And yes women have certain specific questions abt religious law which due to their nature and due to womens modesty they may not be able to ask from an Alim hence women scholars are a must and a great blessing upon the whole world.

Become obedient to the Chief, Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam, so ALL chiefs become obedient to you.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"irfan" wrote:

I think most women are just very shy and would rather not be in the spotlight.

That, and the fact that some men don't give them a chance to come forward.

All good points... something really has to be done to get these Alimahs more involved.

AbdusSalaam, if a female scholar gives an interview with a journalist who then prints it in a magazine or newspaper, is that still wrong? or how about a woman speaking in complete 'purdah', with her face covered, is that also wrong? plz define in ur terms wot exactly is wrong about female scholars expressing their opinion to the wider public...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

1. An Alima who has an interview with a journalist female who then publishes it not disclosing any deep details about the Alima then it is ok.

2. However coming onto TV is a bit different.

3. According to our Teachers TV is haram so those Alimaat from our chain should not be going onto TV nor should the Ulama from our chain.

So issue of TV interview is a ban on all not just women.

Basically men and women scholars can and infact must teach and educate. Both are forbidden from TV. Both can give interviews with the difference that women should preferably have women journalists and men preferably men journalists.

Just need to be careful that fitnah does not arise from both or either side.

2. However coming onto TV is a bit different.

3. According to our Teachers TV is haram so those Alimaat from our chain should not be going onto TV nor should the Ulama from our chain.

Basically men and women scholars can and infact must teach and educate. Both are forbidden from TV.

salaam

I dont know whether to laugh or cry to the above.
TV IS HARAM????
TO GIVE INTERVIEW ON TV IS HARAM???
EVEN WITH A WOMAN IN FULL PARDAH, HIJAB...IS HARAM?
EVEN MEN ON TV IS HARAM????

Let me guess brother that this is a view point from the Ulema of Tablighi jamaat/ Deoband school of thought- am I correct? I think this kind of viewpoint , with all due respect- in this day and age is harming Muslims- we need Scholars men and women to appear on the media, to give the true knowledge of Islam, to get rid of the misconceptions. This in no way creates fitnah at all. This idea of purdah is a bit extreme.

wasalaam

"Admin" wrote:

However what do the women on this forum think of this issue? how far would you go? Its all good everyone preaching, and counterteaching, but what do you think?

Salaam

I think that if a woman wants to deliver a speech in front of men she should do it….if she wants to give an interview on TV she should do it…if she wants to give an interview with a journalist who then prints it in a magazine or newspaper she should do it....but her head should be always covered.

I love watching Salma Yukoob giving interviews on TV and all the ladies who come on Islam channel…

If she feels shy, then she should cover her face…covering ones face gives a woman confidence.

But I really wish that more women come forward for such things…

Wasalaam

why do ur teachers say that TV is haraam?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

why do ur teachers say that TV is haraam?

i refer u to them as i do not know the ruling IN DETAIL.

we rely on our teachers.

i can relate more to female speakers due to obvious reasons

i too wish there were more

"yashmaki" wrote:

Also if there is a shortage in female scholars what is wrong with going to a male ulema. We may not like to, but in this day and age there are many ways of getting our questions across to scholars without having to deal with them face to face. You can email, you can make a phone call, you can get your husband or brother or some male cousin to take your question forward. Rather than comitting haram its best not to be shy when it comes to acquiring deeni knowledge. If women aren't available for now at least men will have to suffice.

Salaam

It’s not the same…. however knowledgeable a male speaker may be…he can not relate to an audience of women as a woman speaker can.

I have access to both male and female scholars and whenever I have a question to ask I always call up the female scholar….even though the male scholars are more knowledgeable….this isn’t because the questions I want to ask are female issues but because only a woman can totally relate to another woman and can see where she’s coming from.

And there’s a massive difference between acquiring knowledge directly and go through people.

Salma Yakoob regularly delivers speeches in front of large mixed audiences; she also regularly appears on TV…I don’t see anything wrong with what she’s doing and I only wish that more women would come forward.

Wasalaam