Polygamy and HIV????

Salaam

I was talking to a Christian I know about religion and I was explaining to him why Muslim men can have more than 1 wife (excess women in the world, more men in prison, men fighting in wars etc). He disagreed and said that if a man has more than 1 wife the people will contract HIV. He also said why did Muhammad(saw) have more than 1 wife and I answered his question.

Anyway, I told him that the Qur'an is the only religious book which says "marry only one". I gave him the full quote. I have heard Dr Zakir Naik quoting this. I said to him, if you can show me where in the Bible it says "marry only one", u will have proven me and the Dr wrong. He said it doesn't say it exactly like that because the Bible "speaks in parables". Regarding HIV, it is a virus, right? So you can only catch it from someone who has already got it. I thought u can't "create" HIV.

[b]So, if a man has 4 wives, and none of them have HIV, is there any chance that they might get it?[/b] I was under the impression that if the people don't have it then there's no risk. Dr Zakir Naik also says that there is no risk of STDs in polygyny (man marrying more than 1 woman). Is this true? I know there is a big debate on where HIV originated (manufactured, green monkeys etc), but if it is a MEDICALLY PROVEN FACT that having more than 1 partner increases the chance that u will get it then the Muslims who have more than 1 wife would be at risk, and I doubt Allah(swt) would make a mistake like that.

They say reduce the number of partners u have, but I thought this was because the more partners u have, the more chance there is of having intercourse with someone who[i] is[/i] HIV positive. If having more than 1 wife predisposes a person to HIV then why havent all the people who have more than 1 wife got HIV. I know someone who has 2 wives and they have no problem. The Holy Prophet(saw) had 6 wives and there was no problem there. And what about the people who marry, get divorced and then re-marry, often having children from different women?

Please discuss.

Apparently circumcision prevents contracting HIV...

..or atleast reduces the chance significantly.

Again, the way that HIV is passed is by physical contact, or transfer of bodily fluids. If all the people are good muslims, none would have HIV in the first place... unless born with it, or through a muck up in some hospital...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

How it works is, both the man n the woman should be virgins b4 they marry, unless one is a divorcee ofcourse. If so, then a divorced or widowed female must wait 3 monthes, or 3 menstruation cycles, (depending on what school of thought she follows) before she re-marries. This is cuz the 3 cycles or monthes, allow for her to be purified.

And that way a pure man n pure woman cannot get hiv outta nuffin.

But, in western civilisation, a woman sleeps with one guy one night, week later with another, her body has not purified, n when she sleeps with the 2nd guy, well, umm, how can i say this, there are still traces of the 1st guy :oops: N then, well now both the woman, and the man have HIV

Note- When Aids HIV etc came about big time, it was thought of as a gay-man's disease.

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Admin, yes I was aware that its transmitted by body fluids.

"razor" wrote:
How it works is, both the man n the woman should be virgins b4 they marry, unless one is a divorcee ofcourse. If so, then a divorced or widowed female must wait 3 monthes, or 3 menstruation cycles, (depending on what school of thought she follows) before she re-marries. This is cuz the 3 cycles or monthes, allow for her to be purified.

And that way a pure man n pure woman cannot get hiv outta nuffin..

Ok cool. Wow the Qur'an mentions this 3 month period, I can remember reading it. That's amazing. Alhamdulillah.

You mentioned that "traces of the 1st man r left behind". I know wot u mean, someone mentioned it on this forum a while ago that the diseases come about through 2 different sperm types meeting,

"razor" wrote:
When Aids HIV etc came about big time, it was thought of as a gay-man's disease.
Yes I know about that, thanks and Jazakhallah hayr.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

"razor" wrote:

But, in western civilisation, a woman sleeps with one guy one night, week later with another, her body has not purified, n when she sleeps with the 2nd guy, well, umm, how can i say this, there are still traces of the 1st guy :oops: N then, well now both the woman, and the man have HIV

Pls don't generalise.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"razor" wrote:

Pls don't generalise.

Sorry Sis, when i sed "western civilisation", what i meant is the non-muslim western people, in particular those who pride themselves on this type of behaviour.

but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.

"razor" wrote:
How it works is, both the man n the woman should be virgins b4 they marry, unless one is a divorcee ofcourse. If so, then a divorced or widowed female must wait 3 monthes, or 3 menstruation cycles, (depending on what school of thought she follows) before she re-marries. This is cuz the 3 cycles or monthes, allow for her to be purified
And that way a pure man n pure woman cannot get hiv outta nuffin.".

How come this isn't in any literature like medical textbooks?

And if the above quote is the case then why all the fuss about where the virus originated?

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
"razor" wrote:
How it works is, both the man n the woman should be virgins b4 they marry, unless one is a divorcee ofcourse. If so, then a divorced or widowed female must wait 3 monthes, or 3 menstruation cycles, (depending on what school of thought she follows) before she re-marries. This is cuz the 3 cycles or monthes, allow for her to be purified
And that way a pure man n pure woman cannot get hiv outta nuffin.".

How come this isn't in any literature like medical textbooks?

And if the above quote is the case then why all the fuss about where the virus originated?

Well, because none of the people who write medical books follow any fiqh or even shariah im guessing.

Anything which is made haram, is haram for a reason. Yeh some reasons r cuz the haram things are tempting, but theres other reasons.

Now, we are told, that a woman, after her divorce, or widow, she must wait 3 monthes, or 3 menstrual cycles, depending on which school of thought, but each cycle is normally a month apart. N the reason for this is Purity.

Also, a woman can only have one husband at any time, but a man, can have up to 4 wives. N, if the islamic rulings are correctly followed, then its not likely that disease will appear. N HIV n Aids, n other STD's started to appear big tym in the last 50ish years, when, TV appeared, billboards appeared, magazines appeared, hormones were more stirred then normal. N the amount of sleeping around went up.

Aids is a disputed one, sum say it came fom green monkeys in the african jungle, n sumhow developed in humans. Some say its manmade. HIV is sed to be sexually transmiteed. N STD's, well the name tells a story.

The cure lies in prevention.

thing is HIV cannot be 'purified' in three months. It has no known cure.

I think that is the bit that AllahuAkbar was commenting about.

I must mention here that there have been somne people who have managed to be cured from HIV, but not by any medical technique, and have baffled the scientists. Its thought some people may jkust be immune to it, or be capable of developing immunity.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
thing is HIV cannot be 'purified' in three months. It has no known cure.

I think that is the bit that AllahuAkbar was commenting about.

I must mention here that there have been somne people who have managed to be cured from HIV, but not by any medical technique, and have baffled the scientists. Its thought some people may jkust be immune to it, or be capable of developing immunity.

LOL, i really shud explain maself a lil beter. I dint mean HIV can b cured in 3 monthes. What i meant is, I, and a series of well known scholors beleive many std's including HIV can b avoided. N scholors say that is the reason for the 3 month period of wait b4 a woman is allowed to marry sum1 else. Cuz it allows the woman to b purified, n there is no traces of the last husband left, so, no chance of the nex husband, during contact, havin ne traces of the previous husband on him.

3 monthes thing is a prevention, not a cure.

herpes is also apparently a life long disease...

But lets stear away from that as soon as I mention it...

All in all the divorce period cannot be just to 'avoid disease, or p[assing on infection'. First its part of an official process of divorce during which, if everything is followed correctly, gives the couple a chance to change their minds.

Secondly it removes any doubt over paternity if such a case arises.

If it also prevents spreading diseaes, then good, but that is oin no way an aim of it.

"razor" wrote:
Aids is a disputed one, sum say it came fom green monkeys in the african jungle, n sumhow developed in humans. Some say its manmade. HIV is sed to be sexually transmiteed. N STD's, well the name tells a story.

The cure lies in prevention.

But doesn't HIV automatically lead to full blown AIDS?

Anyway, I agree with you and I feel that Allah(swt) hasn't made a mistake in allowing a man to marry more than 1 wife & putting them at any risk.