LEAVING ISLAM- PUNISHABLE TO DEATH?

SALAAM

AN INTERESTING INCIDENT HERE ABOUT AN AFGHAN MUSLIM WHO CONVERTED TO ISLAM....

[b]Afghan on trial for Christianity[/b]

The trial judge holds the bible he says belonged to the accused
An Afghan man is being tried in a court in the capital, Kabul, for converting from Islam to Christianity.

also:

[b]The Times March 21, 2006

'Whoever changes religion – kill him'
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent[/b]

THE Koran is contradictory on the fate of those who deny the truth of Islam.

Fourteen passages refer to apostasy and, of these, seven refer to punishment, generally to be given in the next life.

Sura 40 says that those who reject the scriptures will have iron collars and chains placed around their necks, be dragged into scalding water and burnt in the fire. Elsewhere the Koran seems to indicate a degree of tolerance. Verse 2.256 states: “There is no compulsion in religion.” Two further suras, 10 and 18, include passages indicating that people who do not wish to believe should not be forced to.

But the Hadith, or sayings of the Prophet, condemns unequivocally those who renounce their religion. One passage advises the death penalty for murder, adultery and apostasy. Another cites Muhammad as saying: “Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.”

According to Mufti Abdul Barkatullah, senior imam at North Finchley Mosque, North London, Islam simply took over biblical tradition and practice in this regard. Jesus promised in John xiv,6: “No one comes to the Father except by me.” Several other passages in the New Testament condemn non-Christians to eternal punishment. Mufti Barkatullah cited the Inquisition as an example of Christian intolerance.

Muslim scholars are divided over how the texts on apostasy should be interpreted. Mufti Barkatullah said that some countries would follow the Shafi’i school of thought and eschew the death penalty for apostasy. But many, such as Afghanistan, adhere to the Hanafi tradition, and take a strict line on apostasy.

discuss...

I'm with the Koran on this one.

Mufti Abdul Barkatullah must stick to his own affairs and not surpass the limits of his understanding in such a capricious manner. Using medieval heresy to justify something so obviously deplorable to Christians - doubly so in this instance where it is used against a Christian brother - is completely tasteless.

"Augustus" wrote:
Mufti Abdul Barkatullah must stick to his own affairs and not surpass the limits of his understanding in such a capricious manner. Using medieval heresy to justify something so obviously deplorable to Christians - doubly so in this instance where it is used against a Christian brother - is completely tasteless.

i agree. a Muslim should not feel the need to justify Islamic law by comparing it to another religion's. :?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

since when does afghanistan run under an official shariah court, when and if it chooses or always

I'm at two minds about this issue. At one time i thght if this is the shariah ruling then i'm 101% behind it, there must be some wisdom in it that i can't see. But now i tend to think what if it were my own brother or child who converted to Christianity would i so light heartedly say go ahead kill them. Punishment will definately come in the next life, if they deserve punishment. So i duno i'm not decided on this issue :? Call it my weak faith or whtever that's how i feel.

"yashmaki" wrote:

Afghanistan is not an Islamic state.

yup, my question is........which state is?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

come to think of it i know of one muslim girl who turned to christianity. It never shocked me coz her family never took much of an interest in teaching Islam in the home or outside apart from an hours class after school. She was at the mercy of anyone who could invite her to a better life. All she knew of islam was arabic, and i doubt much else.

When she went uni she got involved with Christian groups. It didn't shock me that she'd turned Christian, but the schock was she had become a nun. Her family accepted it at first, but apparently she tried to influence her siblings that's when her parents said enough is enough and kicked her out :?

Well she's lucky she only got kicked out coz there are certain lunatics who would have killed her regardless of them sharing the same blood.

Do you girls n guys know any muslims who left Islam for another faith, what became of them, how did society treat them?

This problem isn't limited to the islamic faith though. It's funny how the media seems to be implying see it's the violent muslims again, intolerant and ignorant trying to force their religion upon everyone. There are other faith groups out there who would be willing to kill those who leave their religion for another. I mean how many times has the media highlighted a non muslim case like this? The above case is not exactly unique, i've heard of cases like this before 9/11. It's only now they're coming into the spotlight, seems all to0 "convenient"

I know of Sikh girls who converted to Islam and were hiding from death threats from their family.. :?

I can't think of a more stressful situation..

"yashmaki" wrote:

Afghanistan is not an Islamic state.

yup, my question is........which state is?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam. Please guys try and answer this question 4 me. Ok so i have read the story of the guy who converted from Islam to Christianity. I dont know if its true, but Im assuming it is. Anyway, this guy came on the radio and said in chapter 9 verse 57 of the hadith (he didnt say which one), Muhammad(pbuh) said: "whoever CHANGES his Islamic faith, kill him".

Ok so first I thought this meant converting to another religion. Then I thought maybe its quoted outta context, maybe the changes means someone who tries to corrupt the Qur'an for example. So......... does anyone know of this hadith, does it even exist? Is it a reliable one? It seems harsh that one should be killed, ok i know they have turned their back on Islam but the Qur'an does state that there is "no compulsion in religion" so is this a contradiciton??? I mean, i would go with what the Qur'an says, therefore dont kill the person. What u guys think?????????

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
Salaam. Please guys try and answer this question 4 me. Ok so i have read the story of the guy who converted from Islam to Christianity. I dont know if its true, but Im assuming it is. Anyway, this guy came on the radio and said in chapter 9 verse 57 of the hadith (he didnt say which one), Muhammad(pbuh) said: "whoever CHANGES his Islamic faith, kill him".

Ok so first I thought this meant converting to another religion. Then I thought maybe its quoted outta context, maybe the changes means someone who tries to corrupt the Qur'an for example. So......... does anyone know of this hadith, does it even exist? Is it a reliable one? It seems harsh that one should be killed, ok i know they have turned their back on Islam but the Qur'an does state that there is "no compulsion in religion" so is this a contradiciton??? I mean, i would go with what the Qur'an says, therefore dont kill the person. What u guys think?????????

i cant comment on the hadith because i havent heard it before and dont know of its authenticity but will check it out inshaAllah.

the 'no compulsion in religion' ayah is often taken out of context by muslims themselves, i'm sure i must have done it too. the whole ayah is:

Quote:
2:256 There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower.

it refers to converting non-muslims to Islam - noone can be forced into accepting Islam i.e. someone born into a Chrisitan/Jewish/Hindu/Sikh etc. family can retain their religion in an Islamic state. the choice is theirs to accept Islam, or not to accept it. but the status of an apostate is something else altogether, this ayah is not referring to them.

so that woman who wrote the article is wrong about the Quran being 'contradictory' on the matter.

"*DUST*" wrote:

so that woman who wrote the article is wrong about the Quran being 'contradictory' on the matter.

I meant it the other way round, that the hadith was contradicting the Qur'an. I'm also looking into the quote, Ive never heard of it before myself.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

I must say the silence is deafening on this topic. Just proves that we need to gain more knowledge bcoz we need to have the answers otherwise the Ummah will get weaker and begin to doubt.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
I meant it the other way round, that the hadith was contradicting the Qur'an. I'm also looking into the quote, Ive never heard of it before myself.
its not contradicting the Quran because the ayah is not addressing those who accept and then leave Islam, its addressing the acceptance of Islam by non-Muslims.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
I must say the silence is deafening on this topic. Just proves that we need to gain more knowledge bcoz we need to have the answers otherwise the Ummah will get weaker and begin to doubt.
answers to what?

Quote:
[b][size=16]Afghan convert set to be freed[/size]

An Afghan man charged with converting to Christianity is set to be released from jail while his case is reviewed. [/b]

...[url=

Salam

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
Salaam. Please guys try and answer this question 4 me.... Muhammad (pbuh) said: "whoever CHANGES his Islamic faith, kill him".

Prophet Muhammed never said such a thing.

Its a lie which is attributed to God's Messenger.

He is a wise man. He doesn't utter such stupid things.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Prophet Muhammed never said such a thing.

Its a lie which is attributed to God's Messenger.

He is a wise man. He doesn't utter such stupid things.

do u have evidence to prove that its a fabricated hadith?

Ok now this is getting confusing. I also don't believe that Muhammad(pbuh) would have said such a thing.

Dust, so it is talking about non-muslims who become muslims....... then leave Islam????????

I still think it is up to the person what they wanna follow.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
Ok now this is getting confusing. I also don't believe that Muhammad(pbuh) would have said such a thing.

Dust, so it is talking about non-muslims who become muslims....... then leave Islam????????

I still think it is up to the person what they wanna follow.

If you think about it when someone converts into Islam then they must have thoroughly checked it out, i dont think any convert just blindly comes into Islam thinkin you know what i'll convert and see if i like it and if not then i'll just leave. Islam aint a joke where you decide you want to accept the oneness of Allah (swt) and the finality of Prophethood but then decide later nah i cant accept that. So a convert is given a chance to be 100% satisfied with Islam before accepting it.

Jazakhallah khayr Angel.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:

yes.

Salam

God does not deprive people of the opportunity of exchanging Him for a monkey god.

They are totally free to make a monkey of themselves.

Omrow

Quote:
[b][size=16]Afghan convert freed from prison[/size]

An Afghan man who could have faced the death penalty for converting to Christianity has been freed from jail.[/b]

Abdul Rahman, a Christian for 16 years, was charged with rejecting Islam but his case was dismissed because of insufficient evidence, officials said.

...[url=

The article in the Times is obviously pulling stuff outta context here.

Okay firstly the Quran cant have contradictions... there are no contradictions. The Quran states that the truth shall stand out from falsehood. And people will either accept the truth of Islam or they wont. Im sure i read somewhere that in Sura Al-Baqara somewhere (some1 pls look this up) it stated that "God is near those who have faith and will bring them out of darkness and into the light whereas those who deny the truth hav given into evil and will fall into darkness and are those destined for the hell fire" (if im wrong... some1 pls say so)

Im no scholar but the way i see it. Here on earth theres no compulsion for anyone to follow any faith. The truth of the Quran and the final Prophet(pbuh) stands out from falsehood and those who see this and understand this and accept this (the Muslims) shall be granted nearness to God where as those who deny it have the right to deny it if they so please. But shall gain the hell fire in the hereafter. So the way i see it accept or deny is one or the other regardless of whatever faith you followed before or follow now. Doesnt matter if you were muslim and changed to chritianity or vice versa... accept or deny. But theres nothing in what ive seen that states the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said "kill him"... the prophet (pbuh) was sent as the savior of mankind... not its destruction and we all know the prophets(pbuh) great mannerisms even with non-muslims.

And wasnt this guy aqquitted of the charges coz he was considered mentally unfit? So why we discussing the choices of some1 whose mentally unfit?

[size=7]PS: sorry ive been away... had stuff to take care off.. so missed the chance to post on this thread... till now.[/size]

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:

Okay firstly the Quran cant have contradictions... there are no contradictions.

We know that Biggrin

"Seraphim" wrote:
But theres nothing in what ive seen that states the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said "kill him"... the prophet (pbuh) was sent as the savior of mankind... not its destruction and we all know the prophets(pbuh) great mannerisms even with non-muslims.

this does not mean the death sentence does not exist in shari'ah law. how is the death sentence of a murderer the 'destruction of mankind' for example?

"*DUST*" wrote:

this does not mean the death sentence does not exist in shari'ah law. how is the death sentence of a murderer the 'destruction of mankind' for example?

but thats a different bowl of soup all togeather

Back in BLACK