Do you support ID cards?

salaam

so we will all soon be having ID cards in the UK...

Do you think ID cards could help tackle crime, terrorism and illegal immigration in the UK.... as Blair claims?

Would ID cards have stopped 7/7 from happening?

Will we become another number?

Will it be like living in a nanny state: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU?

Will we have to compromise on our freedoms?

ID cards will cost a bomb... why should we have to pay for it?

so share your thoughts...

wasalaam

oyster cards already track our movements

soon we'll be able to top up on use them cards in shops too :shock:

i've got nothing to hide, and if the police or government want to do checks on me right now, they have enough power to do so, why do we need ID cards?

The government always tell us to be careful with the sort of information we pass to third parties, even our banks. Now they're effectively telling us give us your pin number, give us your iris scan, give us your fingerprints, while we're at it can we have your life too, go on you can trust us!
Can we trust them?

These ID cards will hold too much information about us, personal information from our address, to number of cars we own, insurance info everything, bank details etc etc. Apparently it won't be long before they ask us for an ID card at the supermarket check out. So what are they proposing to do scan my loaf of bread, then scan my eye to get the total owing?

Bottom line the government has enough information about it's citizens to abuse it presently. The introduction of ID cards will just increase the margins for abuse of power.

Also why should I pay the proposed 95.00 pounds or more for this card, which the government admits won't prevent terrorism? What's the objective of the card if not to reduce terrorism, that's the agenda they shove at us one day, and retract on the next, make your mind up!

Yes it's become a complete nanny state. Apparently smoking is to be banned by next summer. Although i think it's a disgusting habit, I also feel like it's unjust for those who choose to smoke. i/e what's wrong with private bars, clubs and restaurants allowing their customers to smoke. Private places are different to public ones. ppl pay membership to enter, and they're fully aware of what the environment will be like? Public places are a different issue.

I dont like the idea of ID cards...

It scares me.

Yeh I think it is an ideal way for the government to track you down were ever you are!! :shock:

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

yeh and how easy would it be to wipe out someones identity with all that information at hand? It's like that movie i saw years ago, becoming reality your identity will be wiped out, no records of your birth, family, school, marriage kids nothing will exist cept on a small chip which you don't have access to. Then the governments gona want ya behind. Am i being too dramatic? lol It scares me aswell.

Yash you scaring me more.....

I've got this gutted feeling in my stomach lol. Im gonna refrain from reading this topic ahem*

Yeh they can easy manipulate you to work for them or give them what they want from you!! So freaky! :shock:

Your damn right!

"naj" wrote:
Yash you scaring me more.....

I've got this gutted feeling in my stomach lol. Im gonna refrain from reading this topic ahem*

Sorry but it is true! You never know what might happen!! :shock:

Your damn right!

It's just an ID card, no different from a birth certificate, passport, driving license, debit card, credit card, Oyster if you filled out details or National Railcard, a season ticket, membership or loyalty card, except it's verifiable and doesn't result in as much loss of data as a loyalty card. A car registration, high street camera, mobile phone or credit card is more effective at 'tracking your movements'. It will not result in a loss of confidentiality because though it identifies you superficially it does not keep its own log any more than, say, your name does. So your health records at the clap clinic stay in the clap clinic, even if there is a number next to your name. It will unobtrusively encourage lawfuless and have security benefits. Much as any beauraucratic requirement fills me with dread I can't see a problem.

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

Do not worry. There will be a thriving industry in fake ID cards...

wanna sell yours?

Its not gonna work. It will complicate the lives of normal people, and criminals will work around them.

Afterall its not hard to get hold of sokeone elses birth certificate. They are publically available. and with that you can make almost any id you would like!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Not convinced this is a big deal or a negative thing.

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

the only negative is that they may make us fork out £90 bloody quid for the stupid thing :shock: :shock:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
the only negative is that they may make us fork out £90 bloody quid for the stupid thing :shock: :shock:

I read somewhere they weren't gonna make them mandatory... you'd just get fined for not having one.. thats all.

l :roll:

Back in BLACK

No, they will not be mandatory immediately.

After they have been introduced they will 'become' mandatory.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
No, they will not be mandatory immediately.

After they have been introduced they will 'become' mandatory.

Theres little difference...

VOTE NO FOR ID CARDS!!!

We will not pay for a stupid little card to prove who we are, we already have passports, Drivers Licence and Birth Certificates for that.

Back in BLACK

Well the ogv is also doing something stupider...

They wanna scrap road tax, and charge people permile they drive, and the price will probably rise as the vehicle gets bigger...

Now they could include this tax in the price of petrol... as there you are charged for what you drive... and larger vehicles take more fuel...

This would have a cost factor of zilch. It would be less than the current system where you have to buy discs. It will remove beaureacracy (sp?).

But instead there is debate over two systems:

1. a camera every half mile on motorways which will scan the number plates.

2. A satellite tracking system where it would be mandatory to fit a tracking device in every car.

Both systems will cost hundreds of millions, and have the chance to cost several billion. All to do the same thing. The diference? the tax will not be combined in the price of fuel, so the fuel tax will not seem as high. But the overall cost will have to cover the deployment and maintenance of the system.

I have a theory that the election process makes individuals lose their common sense...

[url=

[size=18][b]Ministers defeated over ID cards[/b][/size]

Government plans to make all passport applicants also have an ID card have been defeated in the Lords.

Peers voted by a majority of 61 to overturn the proposal - backed by MPs last month - for a second time.

Opposition peers say the plans break the government's promise that ID cards will initially be voluntary.

But ministers say there are no proposals to extend the scheme to holders of other documents. The ID Cards Bill will return to the Commons...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I say NO for ID Cards!!!!!! Biggrin

Whos with me!!

Your damn right!

"Mez" wrote:
I say NO for ID Cards!!!!!! Biggrin

Whos with me!!

Count me in young Mez.

I've already paid 80 pounds for a new passport, I can withdraw my money out of Barclays Bank with my driving licence, why on earth would I want to spend an additional hundred and something pounds, to prove I am who I am?

This is merely a money making scheme, they are feeding off people fears.

The technology used which is known as biometrics (finger prints, iris scanner) isn’t bulletproof, what will happen if disgruntled employee from the Home Office leaks and sell’s the know how to criminals?

All the information (Personal information ) will be stored in one database, which surely would be a target for every cyber terrorist

Salam

I don't mind ID cards.

As long as it is the same size as the others, and fits eaily in my wallet.

I already carry about six different cards. One more will not make least bit of difference.

I don't know why there is so much opposition to them.

Its only a card.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

I don't mind ID cards.

As long as it is the same size as the others, and fits eaily in my wallet.

I already carry about six different cards. One more will not make least bit of difference.

I don't know why there is so much opposition to them.

Its only a card.

Omrow

But we are talking about our private life at stake here people! :shock:

Your damn right!

i agree with omro

tis only a stupid card-no big deal

I have nothing to hide

i only have an issue with the cost :evil:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
i agree with omro

tis only a stupid card-no big deal

I have nothing to hide

Doesn’t matter if you have nothing to hide or not, imagine this scenario,

You’ve just come back from university, spat out your gum and touched the handrail which is opposite the train station, your now arrived at home, unaware of what is going to happen on that day. That evening their has been a murder outside the station, forensic detectives gathers the gum and dust the hand rail for finger prints, process that data and you’re details appear.

You are now a suspect in a murder case, you have to prove your innocence and if your not entitle to legal aid then you will have to pay for your own solicitor- this is one of many example on how ID cards will infringe our civil liberties

And what if the central database is hacked an your id is cloned?

I dont like the idea of ID cards cuz we have many things which can identify us and like lilsis i too have an issue with the cost. If they really want to tackle terrorism why dont they pay for our ID cards?!! Oh yeh i dont see how this is gona actually help tackle terrorism :?

I think it's a waste of money which can be better spent ie the hunger crisis in third world countries!

EDIT