Ramadan Part timers

I thought id post a separate topic for this, rather than spoil the good vibes of the ramadan thread.

Something that came up earlier today whilst i was talking to my friends was 'Part Timer Muslim'. Tbh i had no idea what a part timer muslim was Fool ... mostly because i tend not to care how other people choose to practice their faith.

Anyway so the conversation basically went like 'oh its almost ramadan, bet all them part timers will come crawling out the woodwork now. Where where they all year?'

Now i was like; part time muslims? Dunno what you on about?

So they explained 'part time muslims who suddenly start practicing during ramdan and then like clockwork they stop at the end.'

And i was thinking we shouldnt be juding people who are trying to be better during ramadan. Isnt that kinda the point of Ramadan? To put aside everything else and concentrate on bettering outselves (spiritually) during Ramadan? Or did they change the whole point of it whilst i wasnt looking.

It doesnt matter how practicing you are right now but in ramadan you try harder and earn the pleasure of Allah (swt). We shouldnt be'little people. Maybe im too soft, i dunno. But ive always thought that if we try and do better in Ramadan that inshallah it will stick with us afters as well and we will continue to do that.

You're right in not belittling them. Any good we do at any time is better than nothing and we should encourage people rather than looking down at them.

I think we should somehow guide those who only try in Ramadan to continue throughout the year too. It's important for us all to see Ramadan as a means to the end rather than the goal itself. In this way we ensure that by making an effort during Ramadan we become accustomed to changes in behaviour and attitude and continue it post ramadan, instead of thinking it should only be for a month and we can go back to normal afterwards.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

idont think you canever be too soft. the only time you'dbe harsh would be towards someone who knows you and knows that you mean good for them and stuff. so that doesnt really count.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

it's corrosive to hold yourself to be superior to others simply because God has graced you with the will and ability to achieve, act better.

Those who only practice in Ramadan should be encouraged to continue their good actions, not insulted out of even doing good through this month.

Besides, Ramadan is hard... not everyone can even keep it up for the full month.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

found a really awesome quote on whatsapp.

"i love ramadan because that kid who never prays, prays. that girl who never covers, covers. that guy who never fasts, fasts. even if its just for a onth, at least these 'types' of people tasted the 'sweetness of faith' just for one month and perhaps months later down in life, if their life ever becomes bitter - they'll refer back to ramadan and yearn for that same 'sweetness' they sampledjust that one month. you cann them 'only ramadan muslims' but i call them 'muslims who can only need ramadan to change'".

dunno by who. but fits quite well here dont it?

Dnt go defensivepassive aggressive / sarcastic / condescending in us. Tis the voice of the muslim youth if I may remind u. Also. I really dnt likethe way u said what u said.

Titanium wrote:
Awww I'm sure all part timers would appreciate you all's decision not to judge them. I'm not sure why you had to make it so public. 

Because we should speak out against something thats wrong.

And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying come and see and I beheld, a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him.

Titanium wrote:
 I believe those with higher piety think and probably do have the divine right to expect exceptional standards from even those who are barely Muslims. That's why I would expect them to make an issue abt stuff.
No, Someone who really is that pious would understand everyone is at a different level and not everyone can reach or perform at the same level at the same time as everyone else. For some people it will take a longer time to reach a higher level and for some a shorter time. Everyone's experiences and their way of learning, how they are taught, what and when they decide to take heed is different.

Of, course, every pious person *wants* (should want) others to be able to reach a higher level at some point, and sooner rather than later. But that's different from expecting, forcing, demanding it. 

Quote:
But the other way round sounds just wrong. "We know they are retards, therefore we being the bigger Muslims must accept them in our society because every little helps and its ok to expect the minimum" Each to their own. 

People who are not practicing are not retards. Please do not assume everyone thinks so negatively, harshly and derogatively of those who may not be practicing. And those who do think of people in such a way are wrong, obviously - not "pious" or "better", at least not in this sense, so they do not count, imo. 

As for the rest of the quote, hopefully what I said above should explain it. But you come across as if the world is against you (or at least "religious people") and then assume negative stuff about those who are trying (correct me if that's wrong) so I'm not sure if you will understand or accept what is said. 

One of the points of talking about such stuff and pointing out that we should not look down on people who don't always try is to dispell the negativity which is already around, such as what you think of "religious people" and others who share you view. It is our point to say, No! This is wrong, this is not Islamic. Yes, people should be helped, and shouldn't be expected to be all the same in levels of Imaan, but that does not mean we should look down on them or think any less of them as people.

The worst people at one time, may become the best in another...way better than I am or will be. Look at some of the sahaba; they argued and fought against the Prophet (saw), Umar (ra) was on his was to kill the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and now look at his status! 

So we hope to encourage those so called "part timers", say it's good that they're doing and what they're doing. And hopefully, try to get them to do more, or at least not make them do less!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

It works both ways.

Some people will feel frustrated with others not doing "the right thing".

For others, detesting not doing the right thing will be a source of strength.

and for some it could also be a matter of status.

(both? I mentioned 3.)

People react to similar things differently and some of those who react negatively to those who do less, well, they manage to hold their ideals for longer.

I am not sure if its the right way or the wrong way.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Titanium wrote:
Expecting is in a completely different spectrum to force or demand.
I dunno, may be they're not so similar, but to me expectations create a need to act, it feels like a demand, though, yes it's not. It's the psychological side of it which is what I'm thinking of, I guess. But I think my point still stands, regardless.

Quote:
I didn't assume anything. I just told u how this thread thread came across to me. There's no need to make it known to public that so called "part time Muslims" have support from this forum and such n such forum members even if the rest of the Muslim world disgaree. I'm sure they'd appreciate being supported like RSPC supports a tortured forgotten pet.
I don't understand if you're being sarcastic again or not. Anyway, we've explained our reasoning behind saying it - it was not to undermine or think ourselves superior. 

agree with the point that no one has the right to judge a "part time Muslim" for being a part time Muslim but it wouldn't go around making them feel uncomfortable by announcing "shelter" for the poor wee souls. Nevermind. Its pointless. Everytime I comment on something I'm made feel like I'm losing it. Maybe that's  [/quote]

To me, this is the whole point of a platform like The Revival. There are people out there who are lost and confused and lonely. They try but those (physically) around them put them down and so and so forth, and communities like this can be a good way of them feeling better about themselves and understanding issues better, recognising what may be wrong and what may be right. And these kinds of platforms are imo a good way for people to find comfort in others who are struggling in similar ways, or atleast try to understand those struggling. 

If you feel offended by it, then well, we don't mean to offend you, that's for sure. (That applies to anyone, not [just] Titanium)

I think i may have struck a nerve with Titanium. I apologise if this topic seemed condescending or patronising or even if it was upsetting. I honestly did not mean it to sound like that.

I only wanted to show that its wrong to put people down who are trying to perfect their faith. Even if they simply just try in ramadan.

However i disagree with the notion that those with "higher piety" (i hate that phrase) think and they have the divine right to expect exception standards from others. This is totally wrong. If anything, those of "higher piety" tend to realise that their own sins should be enough of a distraction for them than the faults of others.

And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying come and see and I beheld, a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him.