hunger strikes

what do you think of them? shld muslims be doing them?

what abt Samer Issawi, he's being on a hunger strikes for over 200 days.

i dont know..but i feel uncomfortable abt this, i dont think he shld be doing it, its not helping in anyway, its only hurting him. and he's becoming weaker when he's already in a situation where he's "weak" shldnt he be keeping up his strength for whatever lies ahead?

but true, it DID bring attention to him and made the world aware of his situation (hence this forum topic!) and you dont hear much abt all he other Palestinians in Israeli prisons. is this what the world has come to? someone has to starve themselves to be heard when in plain injustice (he's had no trial or accusations held against him).

what shld we do?

what abbout on an islamic perspective, i dont think you're really allowed to harm your body like this...

have you heard of the recent campaign? everyone is writing on money notes "free Samer Issawi"

I think he should go the whole way.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I asked this question before and I agree from an Islamic perspective it just doesn't seem right and I too feel uncomfortable with it :/ but I dunno - maybe in his situation it really is better :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Hmmm... hunger strikes. I think if you're doing it for a reasonable amount of days, to create awareness about the situation, to improve the situations of others and you're not making a compromise with your health - I think it's okay.

But for me, i don't understand why you're going to go on a hunger strike and harm your body by depriving it from food when the body is such a precious Amaanah from Allah?

I know i'm blessed to not be in their situation, Alhamdulillah but i think that what's more important is that they begin to work on their relationship with their Lord and bear patience to those who cause them suffering. Allah knows exactly what is happening to them and perhaps their suffering will be a means of their entrance to Paradise.

Just an update: Samer Issawi will be released and returned back to his home in Al-Quds (Jerusalem) on the 23rd of December of this year according to his sister, Shireen. So, a deal was reached between him and the occupation outlined by his conditions.  Finally.

I dout many people go on to hunger strikes when in a reasonable state of mind

It is something about dispare and hopelessness.

Otherwise why turn down good food.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.