Taking part in xmas celebrations
salaam
its almost xmas....
so to what extent can muslims take part?
givng cards to non muslim friends and colleagues?
going to a xmas meal with work colleagues?
eating turkey?
or nothing at all?
how do ppl take part, or not take part, in xmas celebrations?
share your views pls...
wasalaam
Forum
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Imaani β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 16:26
I've always given Christmas cards to non-muslim friends and colleagues. I was surprised to hear some Muslims really against this - I don't see any harm in this at all, it only reflects well on Muslims.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Sajid Iqbal β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 16:49
[quote="Imaani"]I've always given Christmas cards to non-muslim friends and colleagues. I was surprised to hear some Muslims really against this - I don't see any harm in this at all, it only reflects well on Muslims.[/quote]
its imitating the kuffar - didnt you know!!! π
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Imaani β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 16:53
I hope you're joking???
Taking part in xmas celebrations
You β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 17:03
Christmas is for christians. Just like Eid is for muslims.
It's not a universal festival.
I will enjoy the days off.
and there are limits to what you can and can do. In essence if your actions make you appear christian, they are not allowed.
Just to make myself clear, I am not joking.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Imaani β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 17:16
I have heard a scholar say that there is nothing wrong in exchanging Christmas cards as long as they are not particular to the Christian story of Christmas, ie a crucifix, nativity scene etc. However giving a card which simply says Seasons Greetings for example is fine.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Noor β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 17:16
[color=indigo][b]I use to give xmas cards out when i was in skul but not anymore. We tend to give the christians on our road xmas cardz and prezzies each year and thats about it.
Has any1 seen the front page of one of the newspaper where it says that parents are not happy with their children being served halal turkey and that they should have the normal traditional one??[/b][/color]
Taking part in xmas celebrations
zara β Sat, 18 Nov 2006 - 18:15
we get to play secret santa, watch movies and have LOADS of chocolate before christmas holidays, so i don't mind taking part.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Abbas β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 11:52
Salam,
I do not exchange cards etc but am polite in responding with something like Happy Holidays.
As far as the celebration is concerned my wife is Christian and I respect that it is a important time for her as she does for Eid etc. I will buy her a gift but thats it, no-one else.
I would be interested to hear the comments from other mixed religion marriages.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Bliss β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 11:55
[quote="Abbas"]Salam,
I would be interested to hear the comments from other mixed religion marriages.[/quote]
are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become muslim first
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Noor β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 11:58
[color=indigo][b]Aslong as she dunt mind the children being Muslim then i dont think it matters.[/b][/color]
Taking part in xmas celebrations
MuslimBro β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 13:43
[quote="Bliss"]are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become Muslim first[/quote]
I think you have confused both genders.
Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).
But only Muslim women are allowed to marry Muslim men.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Bliss β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 13:54
[quote="MuslimBro"][quote="Bliss"]are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become Muslim first[/quote]
I think you have confused both genders.
Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).
But only Muslim women are allowed to marry Muslim men.[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification
Taking part in xmas celebrations
yashmaki β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 19:20
i agree with admin and brother Abbas on this one. if giving xmas cards is no big deal then why don't we give out diwali cards too?
btw Seasons greetings is a euphamism for merry xmas no further comment.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
The Great 100 β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 21:03
[quote="yashmaki"]if giving xmas cards is no big deal then why don't we give out diwali cards too?[/quote]
Why not? I'm sure if you have Hindu friends they'll appreciate it.
[quote="yashmaki"]btw Seasons greetings is a euphamism for merry xmas no further comment.[/quote]
As it happens Chanuka is around the same time, and anyway Christmas and New Year are public holidays so Season's Greetings can be more appropriate for some than Merry Christmas. It is just about showing a little friendship and goodwill.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
MuslimSister β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 22:11
I'm looking forward to the eating the halaal turkey at my Uni at xmas time...
I used to do cards in when I was in school...I think its a gesture of good will, its only laziness that stops me from doing them now.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
peacegirl β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 22:18
[quote="MuslimSister"]I'm looking forward to the eating the halaal turkey at my Uni at xmas time...
I used to do cards in when I was in school...I think its a gesture of good will, its only laziness that stops me from doing them now.[/quote]
we go to trafford centre to see sanda come!! kids love it! and we give cards to everyone in my sons class.
my dad used to get us a xmas tree and buy pressies. I DON'T do this with my kids. And I still tell my dad that he did wrong.! all them years ago!!
we make eid a really big deal at our home!! so my children don't get all exited for xmas!
Taking part in xmas celebrations
MuslimSister β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 22:19
Lol. I do think however, that encouraging your own kids to visit or believe in Santa would be pushing it a bit...
Taking part in xmas celebrations
peacegirl β Sun, 19 Nov 2006 - 22:21
[quote="MuslimSister"]Lol. I do think however, that encouraging your own kids to visit or believe in Santa would be pushing it a bit...[/quote]
π i know!! I don't know why I do it. I wish he wasn't related to xmas. just think he's cute!!
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Bliss β Mon, 20 Nov 2006 - 10:35
the only way i take part in xmas celebrations is by tuning in all teh xmas specia programms they hv on especially the story of the snowman on xmas day
π
Taking part in xmas celebrations
MuslimBro β Mon, 20 Nov 2006 - 20:59
[quote="Bliss"]the only way i take part in xmas celebrations is by tuning in all teh xmas specia programms they hv on especially the story of the snowman on xmas day[/quote]
You talking about the snowman which comes to life and there's this song "I'm flying in the aaaair". And at the end the snowman dies, I mean melts, it's so sad.
I celebrate xmas by having snowball fights....if it snows.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
You β Mon, 20 Nov 2006 - 22:10
[quote="peacegirl"][quote="MuslimSister"]Lol. I do think however, that encouraging your own kids to visit or believe in Santa would be pushing it a bit...[/quote]
π i know!! I don't know why I do it. I wish he wasn't related to xmas. just think he's cute!![/quote]
Looks like OBL's fatter brother!
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Noor β Mon, 20 Nov 2006 - 22:12
[color=indigo][b]Loool!
Noo he doesn't!!!!!! Santa is round, cuddly and has a FAT belly!!!!!![/b][/color]
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Bliss β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 09:47
[quote="MuslimBro"][quote="Bliss"]the only way i take part in xmas celebrations is by tuning in all teh xmas specia programms they hv on especially the story of the snowman on xmas day[/quote]
You talking about the snowman which comes to life and there's this song "I'm flying in the aaaair". And at the end the snowman dies, I mean melts, it's so sad.
I celebrate xmas by having snowball fights....if it snows.[/quote]
yes that's the one. i love that song very touching π
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Umar β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 10:41
Who loves and repsects Jesus (may peace be upon him) more? the muslims or Christians? I can whole heartedly say the muslims, because we cannot be a muslim without believing and respecting in Jesus (AS) or Moses(AS) or any other prophet for that matter. How often have you heard people shout 'Jesus Christ' - which these days is very common, how much respect does that show to the one of the greatest prophets sent to humanity and who inevitabley will return.
So I ask a question, although the christmas day (25th) and the rituals are all pagan created - nothing to do with christianity, shouldn't we be more happy and celebrate the miracle birth of a great prophet to the pure virign maryam (AS) for whom a whole chapter in the quran is written?
Taking part in xmas celebrations
poster β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 10:59
[quote="MuslimBro"]
Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).
[/quote]
That is just plain sexist IMHO, I see no reason why women can't marry the people of the book.
I remember a non-muslim ringing in on in the Islam channel and commentating on the ayah that said it was permissible for men to marry Jews and Christians, he claimed this was [i]our[/i] way of spreading Islam. He's one of those people that believe that Muslims are trying to take over the world and annihilate the Jews :roll: , actually I am alarmed by the number of non-Muslims that are starting to believe in this garbage. :? :?
To be frank I am not sure if marrying a Christian is permissible. Nazarenes is usually translated as "Christians" but the Nazarenes of the Quran are not the Trinitarian Christians, but the Jewish messianic group, from which Jesus came. In the Gospels, Jesus is called a Nazarene; Mat2:23 "He shall be called a Nazarene".
Allah calls Christians in the quran "those who believe god is 3" (referring to the trinity doctrine).
5:73 They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God.
Christians are not monotheists IMHO. Unless they believe god and Jesus are separate entities.
Abbas does your wife believe in the trinity doctrine? And is she an Irani Christian?
(donβt get me wrong, I donβt care who Muslims choose to get married to)
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Dawud β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 12:13
Salaam
[quote="Umar"]So I ask a question, although the christmas day (25th) and the rituals are all pagan created - nothing to do with christianity, shouldn't we be more happy and celebrate the miracle birth of a great prophet to the pure virign maryam (AS) for whom a whole chapter in the quran is written?[/quote]
Absolutely.
[quote="Peacegirl"]my dad used to get us a xmas tree and buy pressies. I DON'T do this with my kids. And I still tell my dad that he did wrong.! all them years ago!! [/quote]
Absolutely, a tree isn't just for christmas, its for life. Perhaps we should all keep trees in side our houses. We could call them house trees, and kids could play on them instead of weatching tv.
[quote="poster"][quote="MuslimBro"]
Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).
[/quote]
That is just plain sexist IMHO, I see no reason why women can't marry the people of the book.
[/quote]
I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
poster β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 16:35
[quote="Dawud"]
I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.[/quote]
probably,
but things have changed now.
Scholars have abrogated laws in the past, I don't see why this can't be abrogated.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
The Great 100 β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 16:53
[quote="poster"][quote="Dawud"]
I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.[/quote]
probably,
but things have changed now.
Scholars have abrogated laws in the past, I don't see why this can't be abrogated.[/quote]
In Jewish tradition religion is through the mother. Therefore marriage between a Jewish woman and a Muslim man can exacerbate the familial issues of inter-faith marriage.
Taking part in xmas celebrations
MuslimBro β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 21:12
[quote="Dawud"]I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.[/quote]
Do you think it's tradition?.....coz every source I have read on inter-faith marriages say's that "[b]Islam[/b] prohibits marriage between a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman".
Taking part in xmas celebrations
Dawud β Tue, 21 Nov 2006 - 22:17
[quote="MuslimBro"][quote="Dawud"]I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.[/quote]
Do you think it's tradition?.....coz every source I have read on inter-faith marriages say's that "[b]Islam[/b] prohibits marriage between a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman".[/quote]
Woah, I suspect that religeon passing through the father to be tradition. As I understand your sources are quite correct. π
Pagination