Did Putin kill the Polish President, sew up Georgia and buy the World Cup?

Most likely
45% (13 votes)
Only some of that rings true
28% (8 votes)
Doubtful
10% (3 votes)
I enjoy voting in polls where I have no opinion
17% (5 votes)
Total votes: 29

Background:

The Polish premier wasn't allowed to land in bad weather, on Putin's instructions, even after the plane had a fuel dump, and when it tried to land there was no radio assistance.

As the Olympics opened Georgia sent troops to meet an armored Russian column and had already endured weeks of attacks from newly minted Russian citizens in the north of their country, and suffered condemnation and no assistance from its supposed allies.

And we had a wonderful World Cup bid, well presented, and we are clear now that FIFA supports deep corruption at the highest levels. Putin did not bother to attend the FIFA decision despite it's well advertised importance to Russia. He claims he didn't attend because of the Panorama "smears against FIFA" which as a reason for not attending makes no sense but reads like an admission of guilt.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Joie de Vivre wrote:
The Polish premier wasn't allowed to land in bad weather, on Putin's instructions, even after the plane had a fuel dump, and when it tried to land there was no radio assistance.

Do you have any lins for this?

Is this a part of the cable-gate?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Why Russia and Qatar? :/ :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

fifa member countries vote or something to decide who gets the world cups.

Russia got the most votes for 2018, Qatar for 2022.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
fifa member countries vote or something to decide who gets the world cups.

Russia got the most votes for 2018, Qatar for 2022.

WHYYYYYY? random

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

who should they give them to?

Its not like the Pirate kings in Potc where they only vote for themselves...

THey are supposed to compare the various bids and give it to the best bid overall, but it generally has an aspect of "you scratch my back, I will scratch yours".

I have to present my evidence and then some. I haven't forgotten this thread, I'm around over Xmas.

Since it's about Soviet apparatchiks here's just keeping the thread current, because it seemed so spot on. Smile I'm calling the Milibands longstanding Russian spies right there, in case what I already wrote doesn't sound like a conspiracy theory. But in all honesty I have my priorities and I might say I was kidding about the Milibands. Might not. Anyway, cool editorial cartoon:

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens