Al Jazeera English goes live

(Can be viewd live on the internet )
Al Jazeera English, the new international news channel from the Qatar-based television network, has begun broadcasting from its main studios in Doha.

The opening broadcast, which was expected to be available in 80 million households around the world, took place at 3pm Doha time (12:00 GMT) and featured a clip introducing the channel.

Aiming to be the channel of reference for Middle East events, Al Jazeera also has broadcast centres Kuala Lumpur, London and Washington.

Al Jazeera, which celebrated its 10th anniversary on November 1, has revolutionised news media in the Arab world, and has also provoked controversy.

'Unprecedented' launch

Wadah Khanfar, the director-general of Al Jazeera network, said on the eve of the first broadcast: "Our launch figure is over double the original target we set for ourselves."

"This is unprecedented in the broadcasting industry"

Wadah Khanfar, director-general, Al Jazeera network

"This is unprecedented in the broadcasting industry - no other international news channel has launched with such a high number of homes across the world.

"We will continue to build on this figure after launch and will be looking to expand our reach significantly. This is another reflection of the strength of Al Jazeera brand."

In addition to cable and satellite, it will be available on broadband, IPTV, ADSL, terrestrial and mobile phone platforms.

Salam

I think most muslims will not be watching BBC or CNN from now on.

Already, the middle east was dominated by Al Jazeera.

Arabs simply did not trust "biased" western media.

And now, people who do not know Arabic will be glued to
all that uncensored blood and guts shown from conflicts around the world.

Omrow

yes ive been watching it online and sofar im impressed with the unbiased reporting.

Gossip is the most destructive thing in the universe...

i take it , its available on sky... what channel? ntl channel anyone?

Sky Digital - Channel 514

I haven't tried it on mine, just had a look on their website.