Verdict of Islam on Men Shaking Hands With Non-Mehram Women

One of the major questions asked by most of the Muslims residing in West is that, shaking hands with a non-mehram woman is permissible or not?

The ‘woman’ in the question includes both Muslim and Non-Muslim women. Though the Eastern countries provide far less places and chances, where non-mehram men and woman can shake hands with each other, on contrary survival is not possible without doing so in the western world. Moreover, shaking hands with a non-mehram woman is regarded as a sin in Islam.

For more details please visit the site below:

I read answer a little while ago. It's not from the usual point of view that I've read -i.e. it's not saying it's haraam full stop.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

What's wrong with shaking hands?

My English is not very good

lollywood wrote:
What's wrong with shaking hands?

how about you read the answers in the links :roll:

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

Why should it even be questioned?
A little peck on cheek wouldn’t hurt either

We're Muslims

We're Muslims

Ok, you can wave instead but make sure you’re wearing gloves as you don't want a fatwa given on waving and all

lollywood wrote:
We're Muslims

Ok, you can wave instead but make sure you’re wearing gloves as you don't want a fatwa given on waving and all

if you're not muslim. you've got nothing to do with this topic or anything related to muslim. we dont need your sympathy or opinion. what do you are about fatawa. go away.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

lollywood wrote:

Why should it even be questioned?
A little peck on cheek wouldn’t hurt either

I doubt you would trust someone you'd just met to kiss them on the cheek! Wink

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

birds peck i guess u need to climb a tree like the neighbourhood cats and catch one, good luck ( sighs)

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Truly amazes me why your kind left the middle ages back in Arabia and came here to the modern world ?If its a utopian islamic world you crave then go and live in Pakistan,Saudi or one other flea pit medieval place on earth ?

Why do you come here and breed like rabbits ?

Funny you dont like shaking hands yet seemingly see nothing wrong with passing young girls around like confetti in Rochdale ?

Presumably they follow a different brand of islam ?

Ignore the trolls everyone, they'll never come back for an answer.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

LOL @ Peck on the cheek. I have an aunt who does that. Then she goes in for a hug... :S ... thats how she says hello.

I dont think anyone likes it lol.

Back in BLACK

I had a 'dillema' a couple of days ago when a man put out his hand for me to shake in front of lots of other people during a presentation

Me: (meekly and possibly stammering) I don't shake hands.

*awkward*

He just stared at me in like a really is she for real kind of way....

I just smiled at him and carried on. But those situations never stop being awkward. What about shaking hands when graduating? or in a offical ceremony? What do you do?

Sneeze on your hand and then offer it??????????????????????????

Death is the end of time. Not the end of Life.

Smile Biggrin

Just pretend you don't see their hand sticking out? quickly turn away to another direction?  lol

If you know who it is going to be, then perhaps contact them beforehand through email or something, and explain the situation. - Like before an interview or something. (Saw that suggested somewhere else, sounds like a good idea)

Another view: 

Lol same thing happened to me at the bank. After concluding our meeting, she stood up facing me, as im assuming thats how she concludes all business meetings, ready to shake my hand.

And i just got up, thanked her for her time, put the cup of tea down before I turned and left.

If she wants to shake my hand, she can put a ring on it first lmao

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:

Lol same thing happened to me at the bank. After concluding our meeting, she stood up facing me, as im assuming thats how she concludes all business meetings, ready to shake my hand.

And i just got up, thanked her for her time, put the cup of tea down before I turned and left.

If she wants to shake my hand, she can put a ring on it first lmao

ROFL

I'd just put my palms together (like in prayer), give a little bow and say "thank you" in Chinese

Problem solved.

Women are like queens of Islam (sometimes even the drama queens lol). And just as the average man cant shake hands with the Queen. Nor should the Queens of Islam shake hands with just about anyone.

And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying come and see and I beheld, a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him.

Castiel wrote:
Women are like queens of Islam (sometimes even the drama queens lol). And just as the average man cant shake hands with the Queen. Nor should the Queens of Islam shake hands with just about anyone.

our women are not queens for they are better then queens

and we have no kings either we have something better caliphs

abualabbasassaffah wrote:
Castiel wrote:

our women are not queens for they are better then queens

and we have no kings either we have something better caliphs

Im pretty sure the queen thing was an anology and I hate to break it to you but there is no Caliph. Certainly not a single Caliph to rule them all...

Back in BLACK

Titanium wrote:
You guys take a simple thing far too extremely. I dont see anything wrong with shaking hands... Infact its a sign of mutual agreement and respect. And and and not discriminating people because of their gender. It signifies a lot of good then why make it so awkward, complicated and all that? the person offering or innitiating the hand shake isnt making a big deal about it until you refuse because that is RUDE. if you dont shake a hand then you have to justify yourself. Oh andjust wanted to say the Queen does shake hands. i dont know where you got the idea that she doesnt?!

Let's imagine, what could happen if you did shake hands in a professional manner? I just think its unprofessional, stupid and condescending. 

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

For the prophet (pbuh) said that the its better to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle than to touch the hand of a woman who is not permissible to him.' Therefore it is the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh).
As the Prophet (pbuh) is infallible are you saying you disagree with the Prophet (pbuh)? Or do you just want to stab men in the head with iron needles?? LOL.

Back in BLACK

Did anyone read the link I posted? What do u think of it?

TPOS wrote:

I read it, and i have heard that before/ already knew that.

Back in BLACK

What's  this nonsense that men had less respect for women in caveman years but have more respect now? Yes so much respect that semi naked women are plastered on billboards for our little kids  brother and fathers to see. So much respect that the most popular uk paper has page. 3, so much respect that sexual crimes and harassment against women is rampant in society. Men of today are no more saints compared with men of bygone times. They may appear more respectful in the way they carry themselves, they, disguise their emotions better, but ultimately you don't know what they're thinking about do you. Allah knows best hence He has ultimately decreed that handshaking with op gender is forbidden as precautionary messure. after all its not Muhammad's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) law, he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is doing as Allah bid him.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Seraphim wrote:
TPOS wrote:

I read it, and i have heard that before/ already knew that.

I take it you don't agree with it then?

It's seems like a reasonable stance, but I really don't know cuz the other stance is the widely held one, so always just hope to just avoid the situation!

Titanium wrote:
... as long as it isnt used to seduce the opposite sex then there is no evidence to not shake hands...

This is so funny.

How does someone get seduced by a handshake.

lol lol lol lol

I like shaking hands 

Makes me feel grown up and important

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Hajjar

Whilst we would all prefer pictures of semi naked women not to be on bill boards for all to see I think its worth reminding you that if your distaste for such freedom and pluralism gets too much you are free to leave this land and reside in one of the myriad of nations that are run by the shariah ...Im of course thinking os such paragons of virtue as Saudi Arabia and er Pakistan and er Yemen perhaps ..

I,m sure you will find natural succour there .

oookaaaay.....

I agree with Titanium's views of handshaking being professional an everyitng, and kudos to Seraphin for quting Shakespeare, but in all honesty if there are rulings of mahrams and non mahrams it's obvs there for a reason, and handshaking with a non mahram is probably a no-no so no point getting tangled in the rulings.

I read somewhere once ages ago that Yusuf Islam AKA Cat Stevens had his agents to tell women reporters before interviews and stuff  that he doesn't want to be greeted with a peck on the cheek and stuff. If only i had a PA......... (any offers? :P)

But what we have to do now is think of obscure ways of getting out of a handshake without being rude..

Add to the list:

1. Pretend you don't understand english, and start shouting things in Gibberish once offered the hand
  2. Start looking for a tissue and wipe your nose at that moment in which you can see the hande slowly being passed round...
  3. Pretend to faint in a dramatic indian movie style.
  4. Really faint in a indian movie style.
  5. Give the person connecetd to the hand a 'you touching me boi or gal' look.

Death is the end of time. Not the end of Life.

Smile Biggrin

What is the big deal?

why are you lot stuck in medieval Arabia ?

If this is what you want go and live in Saudi 

My forebears came here to escape all that nonsense 

Pages