Up to 8,000 forced marriages in the UK every year

There are at least 5,000 to 8,000 cases of forced marriage in England every year but it is impossible to know the full scale of the problem, according to the Home Office.

The estimate is contained in the official consultation paper published on Monday on whether making forced marriage a specific criminal offence will help better protect victims.

Read more @

Forced marriage to become a crime

Forced marriages are to become a criminal offence under plans to be unveiled by Theresa May this week.

The Home Secretary will launch a consultation on creating a specific offence of forcing someone into a marriage against their will. In 2010, the Forced Marriage Unit dealt with 1,735 possible cases of forced marriage

My English is not very good

I'm surprised that it wasn't a crime before......

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Because it is hard to define what a forced marriage is and what should be criminalised. Take a look at the following situations:

1. Marry X or you will be killed (I would suggest a very uncommon one).
2. Marry X or you will be disowned/kicked out.
3. Marry X or you will destroy the family.
4. Marry X or we will keep pressuring you until you decide that your answer is yes.
5. Marry X and we will apply pressure for you to consider it deeply.
6. Marry X or the stress from your refusal will result in me having a heart failure/stroke (a popular one!).

add a ton more to the list. should all of those be criminalised where the parents risk prison sentences?

The cultural issue also needs to be solved on a cultural level instead of only a legal level.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
It is hard to define what a forced marriage is and what should be criminalised.

To be married off agents ones will

You wrote:

The cultural issue also needs to be solved on a cultural level instead of only a legal level.

[/quote]

How could it be solved on a cultural level?
Do you mean give in to the parents?

lollywood wrote:

against.

You wrote:

[/quote]

How could it be solved on a cultural level?
Do you mean give in to the parents?[/quote]
Giving in would be continuing what's already happening, not solving anything.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
lollywood wrote:

against.

Oh dear

Giving in would be continuing what's already happening, not solving anything.

Nothing is going to happen, this issue is just a “political football" which they like to kick around when they’re in trouble

in Islam a forced marriage is not a valid marriage.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

lollywood wrote:
lollywood wrote:

against.

Oh dear

haha, aren't we pathetic

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

lollywood wrote:
lollywood wrote:

against.

Oh dear

haha, aren't we pathetic

yes

You wrote:
lollywood wrote:
lollywood wrote:

against.

Oh dear

haha, aren't we pathetic

yes

just pressed quote to add "indeed" but i cant do it. might have been a VERY VERY BAD typo lol.

but yeah..culturally...just try our best in our generation and for our kids stick to Islam instead of culture.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

A five-year-old girl is thought to have become the UK's youngest victim of forced marriage

Every year hundreds of young people are at risk of being taken abroad, by their parents and forced to marry against their will.

The majority of cases involve families from South Asia, particularly Bangladesh, India and Pakistan